• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Surge in Britons exported for trial

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The number of people in Britain seized under the controversial "no-evidence-needed" European Arrest Warrant rose by more than 50 per cent last year, figures obtained by The Sunday Telegraph show.

Foreign prosecutors do not have to present evidence to the British courts, just demand the person be "surrendered".
It can be revealed that a middle-aged motorist from Kent spent weeks in a British prison after Polish prosecutors sought his extradition on charges of possessing a forged car insurance certificate.
Patrick Reece-Edwards, 49, was stopped at a Polish border crossing. After questioning, he was allowed to drive off, but months later was seized at his home in Dartford under a European Arrest Warrant.
"He was kept in custody in Britain for weeks,” said his solicitor, Stephen Fidler. “After he was extradited to Poland, matters were resolved by payment of an administrative penalty with no criminal record.”
Another of Mr Fidler’s clients is fighting extradition to Romania after being convicted there of possessing a small quantity of cannabis. He is in his third month in a British prison and is likely to be there at least a further two months before his appeal against the European Arrest Warrant is heard. “Aside from the disproportionality of these cases, the costs to the British authorities are huge,” said Mr Fidler. “Those resources should go towards tackling serious crime in the UK, not minor crime abroad.”
Surge in Britons exported for trial - Telegraph

Warrentless Arrests.
That be some scary **** man.

So glad I live in the US.

the problem with Europe is that you have lots of countries packed into an area only slightly larger than my country, you can understand the logic behind it, that by the time they get a warrant, the person could be in another country, which'd make things more difficult, but really, it's bull****. There's a lot to be said for not having any countries on the same landmass as you.

the problem with Europe is that you have lots of countries packed into an area only slightly larger than my country, you can understand the logic behind it, that by the time they get a warrant, the person could be in another country, which'd make things more difficult, but really, it's bull****. There's a lot to be said for not having any countries on the same landmass as you.

Of course its bull****. The country where the alleged offense took place should have to have proof in order to issue a warrant for the alleged offender and then present that warrant to the country the alleged offender fled to. No one should be extradited on a baseless warrant.

Britons working in the UK can be extradited to face charges under US law in the USA at a low level of proof. This is not reciprocal. Thank you Tony Bliar.

Article is another hit piece by anti-EU British media. First off, a person arrested under EAW is put before a British judge before being extradited. Secondly you can only take out an EAW if the punishment of the crime exceeds 12 months or if the person is already convicted, if the punishment is a minimum of 4 months in prison. I am not saying that the system can not be abused by other countries or the UK, I would wager the UK abuses it too. However it is up to the judge to make sure that the rules are not being abused/broken before the guy was extradited. Something is not kosher in the Telegraph story, which does not surprise me. Funny how the newspaper does not ask the question why so many countries are demanding extradition of Brits..... I know why... same reason that if I go into a bar in Spain I can order, and pay later.. where as a Brit has to pay up front.

Last edited:
Article is another hit piece by anti-EU British media. First off, a person arrested under EAW is put before a British judge before being extradited. Secondly you can only take out an EAW if the punishment of the crime exceeds 12 months or if the person is already convicted, if the punishment is a minimum of 4 months in prison. I am not saying that the system can not be abused by other countries or the UK, I would wager the UK abuses it too. However it is up to the judge to make sure that the rules are not being abused/broken before the guy was extradited. Something is not kosher in the Telegraph story, which does not surprise me. Funny how the newspaper does not ask the question why so many countries are demanding extradition of Brits..... I know why... same reason that if I go into a bar in Spain I can order, and pay later.. where as a Brit has to pay up front.

So Brits are theives?

And people say the EU is something good :roll:

So Brits are theives?

Not all, far from it. But sadly businesses here, both non British and British have seen a rise in Brits skipping out on the bill or debt or outright stealing, and as a result practices have been changed when it comes to Brits. The worst example I have seen is standing in line at the check out counter at a supermarket where lots of Brits come. The British woman ahead of me had to open her purse but the Finnish woman behind me (nice looking too!) did not. At a later date I asked the girl at the counter why, and she bluntly said because the woman was British and they had seen a rise in Brits stealing.

And people say the EU is something good :roll:

Would you rather have the UK be a haven for criminals? Or how about UK criminals hiding out in Europe with no threat of extradition?

The worst example I have seen is standing in line at the check out counter at a supermarket where lots of Brits come. The British woman ahead of me had to open her purse but the Finnish woman behind me (nice looking too!) did not.

Sounds to me like a good reason for Brits to avoid going to the country.

So glad I live in the US.

That's surprising, considering you want us to become like them. Frankly I'd like to see these kinds of arrests occur to liberals, to teach them a lesson.

That's surprising, considering you want us to become like them. Frankly I'd like to see these kinds of arrests occur to liberals, to teach them a lesson.

:lamo:lamo:lamo

:lamo:lamo:lamo

Only a very liberal person would think this is funny. I'll bet you're all of the trashcan chip that determines whether you've recycled enough. I'll bet you're for a national ID card, maybe even a biochip so the govt knows where you are.

Only a very liberal person would think this is funny. I'll bet you're all of the trashcan chip that determines whether you've recycled enough. I'll bet you're for a national ID card, maybe even a biochip so the govt knows where you are.

Don't know what that is(though recycling is overrated), we already have SSN, and biochips are creepy.

Hey look, I don't fit your predetermined mold for me. :roll: Though I'm sure you'll forget this, and project unto me all the things Beck, and Hannity told you to believe about us "evil" liberals.

Not surprising. I wish my mind could work like yours so I could say all conservatives are for thought police. But I can't even bring myself to do it.

Not all, far from it. But sadly businesses here, both non British and British have seen a rise in Brits skipping out on the bill or debt or outright stealing, and as a result practices have been changed when it comes to Brits. The worst example I have seen is standing in line at the check out counter at a supermarket where lots of Brits come. The British woman ahead of me had to open her purse but the Finnish woman behind me (nice looking too!) did not. At a later date I asked the girl at the counter why, and she bluntly said because the woman was British and they had seen a rise in Brits stealing.

I think if the US did that to black patrons, patrons from other countries there would be a ****load of discrimination lawsuits.

Sounds to me like a good reason for Brits to avoid going to the country.

It aint the visiting Brits.. it is the Brits who live here that are the problem :)

I think if the US did that to black patrons, patrons from other countries there would be a ****load of discrimination lawsuits.

Yep, never said it was the right thing to do here, but that is the reality of the situation more than often. Of course that does not mean every single brit gets checked and only brits. Spanish get checked too and others that look "odd" so to say. And it aint a uniquely Spanish thing, by any means.

Would you rather have the UK be a haven for criminals? Or how about UK criminals hiding out in Europe with no threat of extradition?

Many UK criminals fled to Southern Spain. Marbella, Fuengirola, Benalmadena, Torremlinos, are all hotbeds of crime.

This is what regionalization means... I don't think people understand that it doesn't just mean trade liberalization. It spreads and infects all other areas of civil governance.

Back
Top Bottom