• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court wrestles with consumers suit over Apple iPhone apps

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...split-in-consumer-suit-over-apple-iphone-apps

The Supreme Court on Monday grappled over whether to allow a consumer class action lawsuit to go forward against Apple over its alleged monopoly on iPhone applications.

The liberal wing of the court seemed to side with consumers, who argue they are being directly injured by having to pay more for iPhone apps because they can only be purchased through the technology giant’s App Store.
===========================================
This is one of the many reasons that I only own & use Android devices. Applemania will likely go the way of the buggy whip. The only constant in life is change.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...split-in-consumer-suit-over-apple-iphone-apps

The Supreme Court on Monday grappled over whether to allow a consumer class action lawsuit to go forward against Apple over its alleged monopoly on iPhone applications.

The liberal wing of the court seemed to side with consumers, who argue they are being directly injured by having to pay more for iPhone apps because they can only be purchased through the technology giant’s App Store.
===========================================
This is one of the many reasons that I only own & use Android devices. Applemania will likely go the way of the buggy whip. The only constant in life is change.

I don't see how the court can rule in favor of the consumers.

Nobody is forcing those consumers to use an Apple product. Those consumers were aware of the app situation before they made their choice to get an iPhone...or they should have been aware. It's not like this is something Apple sprung on the consumers after the fact.

It is an interesting issue that finally will be taken up but I doubt that the conservative lead court will ever side with consumers.

Fact is that the app store is a monopoly for the iOS operating system. Does Apple exploit this? Yes big time..in fact they have banned apps that gave extra functionality and the a few weeks or months latter introduced the very same functionality native in the OS.

Now Apple will most likely claim security as the reason but the argument against this is Android. Here you have the same security but also the ability to sideload apps or other stores...at your own risk of course.

The problem is the 2001 case against Microsoft... Apple's abuse of its monopoly is far far worse than what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer, but there are big differences that could swing it either way.

1) Microsoft was absolutely dominating on the PC market but did give the ability to chose other browsers.

2) Apple is not dominant on the phone market but blocks it users from allowing software for anywhere but the App store. This is done via the OS, where Apple are a 100% monopoly and exploit this fact.

So is Apple a phone company or an os company or both?

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

I don't see how the court can rule in favor of the consumers.

Nobody is forcing those consumers to use an Apple product. Those consumers were aware of the app situation before they made their choice to get an iPhone...or they should have been aware. It's not like this is something Apple sprung on the consumers after the fact.
Actually Apple is a bit like drugs.. first taste is free and then you are hooked.

You say that no one is forcing consumers to stay with Apple or "join up"... well actually.... iMessage is.

Time and time again I hear clients complain about iPhone but when I ask them why they don't leave.. the answer is/was..

1) "All my music is in iTunes." This use to be a major problem but now days it is easy to move iTunes music off Apple to Android but the myth is still strong and Apple does everything it can to make it as difficult as possible or to discourage it.

2) "iMessage" and this one is key. People have friends and family on iMessage and can't take that with them to Android...so they stay with Apple. iMessage is what keeps a lot of people on iPhones.

The 2 above could easily be used against Apple for exploiting a monopoly... especially considering the hassle it is with iOS when leaving it...

But I too doubt the conservative court will rule in favour of bigger consumer protection. The EU could take up the case though and force Apple to open up.

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom