• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Law Requiring Receipt of Mail-In Ballots By Election Day

No one is unduly punished by voting deadlines that are decided by the state representatives and announced well in advance of the election. It would actually be worse to change the rules so close to an election.
So I mail in my ballot which is maybe twenty miles away from the super of elections office, a week later it hasn't gotten to the destination and it's now election day and my ballot doesn't arrive, the post office has not delivered it in time and yet you think my vote should be canceled? Is seven days not enough time for a piece of mail to travel twenty miles? I could walk it there in seven days.

So I mail in my ballot which is maybe twenty miles away from the super of elections office, a week later it hasn't gotten to the destination and it's now election day and my ballot doesn't arrive, the post office has not delivered it in time and yet you think my vote should be canceled? Is seven days not enough time for a piece of mail to travel twenty miles? I could walk it there in seven days.
I don't think anything. That is Wisconsin law. Trusting a service that still uses mules for delivery in 2020 may not be the best choice for something as vital as a ballot, in my opinion.

That being said, I see no reason why the USPS would be unable to deliver the vast majority of ballots in 7 business days. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Those are the rules in Wisconsin
https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot-deadlines/
Absentee Ballot Application Deadline _________________________________________________________________________________Voted Absentee Ballot is Due
Wisconsin
  • In Person: Received 5 days before Election Day.
  • By Mail: Received 5 days before Election Day.
  • Online: Received 5 days before Election Day.
Received by 8pm on Election Day.

Those are the rules in Wisconsin
https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot-deadlines/
Absentee Ballot Application Deadline _________________________________________________________________________________Voted Absentee Ballot is Due
Wisconsin
  • In Person: Received 5 days before Election Day.
  • By Mail: Received 5 days before Election Day.
  • Online: Received 5 days before Election Day.
Received by 8pm on Election Day.
The rules, I see. Do you think it's possibly designed that way to insure some votes aren't counted? Can you give my one good reason the date of the post mark is not acceptable? The 'rules' say even if I mailed my ballot in two weeks ahead of time and the post office does not get it to its destination in time, I should pay the price by having my vote canceled. Nice rule.

You cannot deny that if it's republicans they are NEVER supporting the franchise. They claim to be defending it from things they never prove, but suppressing turnout is the obvious goal

Always. Every damn time.
That's another false narrative pushed by the left.

The rules, I see. Do you think it's possibly designed that way to insure some votes aren't counted? Can you give my one good reason the date of the post mark is not acceptable? The 'rules' say even if I mailed my ballot in two weeks ahead of time and the post office does not get it to its destination in time, I should pay the price by having my vote canceled. Nice rule.

Only one is needed - It's what the law says. Representatives of the people of Wisconsin deliberated and created a law which set the rules for an election. It's not the court's place to change that.

If needed, the legislature can create a new law and change the deadline.

That's why there was a court case. People were trying to interfere with the election in Wisconsin. The Supreme Court ruled they could not do so.
It still doesn't require Supreme Court interference, it just requires those attempting to break the law to be jailed.

Only one is needed - It's what the law says. Representatives of the people of Wisconsin deliberated and created a law which set the rules for an election. It's not the court's place to change that.

If needed, the legislature can create a new law and change the deadline.
I think you mean ex governor scott and his crew. It's probably one of the reasons he's gone.

I mailed my ballot a week before the election if it doesn't get to where it's supposed to go by election day is it my fault? I think it has to travel twenty miles. I could walk that in a week.
Not trying to be smart but why didn't you just avoid the risk by putting it in a drop box?

I think you mean ex governor scott and his crew. It's probably one of the reasons he's gone.
I really meant the legislature, although the governor probably signed the law. I have no idea if it was passed or modified under Scott.
Added - The law governing this is Wis. Stat. §6.28(1) . You can wade through the history below. It was last revised in 2015 (not that section), but the requirement of absentee ballots being received "by the time the polls close on election day" dates back to at least 1985. So, no, it wasn't put in place under Governor walker.

Last edited:
Asking you questions is protecting who exactly?

Cowboy up and name names.

What "clique" are you talking about.

Quit being a Nebulous Nancy.
1. Two separate questions and statements. I asked questions! You don't reply or avoid replying.
2. The usual suspects!

Please keep your childish coyboy comments to your friends and yourself.

Have a nice day, those children in Israeli administration detention, are not, they would prefer to be in your friends concentration camp of Gaza. At least they would prefer nurture that unnatural abuse!

Not trying to be smart but why didn't you just avoid the risk by putting it in a drop box?
I dropped mine off within the first hour of early voting in florida. The question is hypothetical designed to show how the 'law' and the post office can end up canceling who knows how many votes?

1. Two separate questions and statements. I asked questions! You don't reply or avoid replying.
2. The usual suspects!

And another non answer.

Who are these "usual suspects"?

When I use the term I have the guts to spell it out if asked.

Please keep your childish coyboy comments to your friends and yourself.

Coyboy?

What "friends" are you babbling about?

Do you have the stones to name names?

Have a nice day, those children in Israeli administration detention, are not, they would prefer to be in your friends concentration camp of Gaza. At least they would prefer nurture that unnatural abuse!

Not the place. Open a thread on it in Israel/Palestine forum.

That's another false narrative pushed by the left.

You guys swallow narratives. I am going 100% with the evidence of my senses.

It is patently obvious that republicans look at how and where deomcrats vote heavily and curtail or eliminate those methods. They gleefully gerrymand (I do not condone gerrymandering regardless of who does it) their way to victory, as opposed to submitting to the will of the citizenry.

It is shameful, and your claim that it is just a narrative is, in fact, a narrative. And like vote fraud, a manufactured one.

Know how I know? Because you all have exactly the same opinions as found in your media. You live in a reality distinct from that of the rest of the world.

I ran into an old conservative friend and he sounded EXACTLY like any other conservative media consumer. On every single point. He got kinda mad when I started finishing his "thoughts" for him.

It still doesn't require Supreme Court interference, it just requires those attempting to break the law to be jailed.
It does if those being jailed appeal their sentences up the chain all the way to the Supreme Court.

I dropped mine off within the first hour of early voting in florida. The question is hypothetical designed to show how the 'law' and the post office can end up canceling who knows how many votes?
Let me get your opinion on something. Do you think it would be fair for a state to accrpt any mail in ballot
Its true that the PO is not without flaws but if you send your ballot out a week before the deadline you can be reasonably confident in the odds of it getting there in time. If those odds are not good enough, they can leave it at a drop box or go in person.

It does if those being jailed appeal their sentences up the chain all the way to the Supreme Court.
If a crime has been committed, the perpetrator is jailed, if he or she is employed to action or oversee an election doesn't abide by the law, they can be sacked and jailed. It's a case of ownership, and responsibility.

You guys swallow narratives. I am going 100% with the evidence of my senses.

It is patently obvious that republicans look at how and where deomcrats vote heavily and curtail or eliminate those methods. They gleefully gerrymand (I do not condone gerrymandering regardless of who does it) their way to victory, as opposed to submitting to the will of the citizenry.

It is shameful, and your claim that it is just a narrative is, in fact, a narrative. And like vote fraud, a manufactured one.

Know how I know? Because you all have exactly the same opinions as found in your media. You live in a reality distinct from that of the rest of the world.

I ran into an old conservative friend and he sounded EXACTLY like any other conservative media consumer. On every single point. He got kinda mad when I started finishing his "thoughts" for him.
I am amazed at how many on the left fall for these narratives.

Let me get your opinion on something. Do you think it would be fair for a state to accrpt any mail in ballot

Its true that the PO is not without flaws but if you send your ballot out a week before the deadline you can be reasonably confident in the odds of it getting there in time. If those odds are not good enough, they can leave it at a drop box or go in person.
Any official mail in ballot, yes, as long as the postmark is election day or before.

It reminds me of what companies used to do in the early days of bill paying online. Due date is the third, you get online on the second and pay the bill. Then you get hit with a late charge because the company took three days to post your payment made the day before the due date.

Any official mail in ballot, yes, as long as the postmark is election day or before.

It reminds me of what companies used to do in the early days of bill paying online. Due date is the third, you get online on the second and pay the bill. Then you get hit with a late charge because the company took three days to post your payment made the day before the due date.
What if the state said the post mark must be one week prior to the day of the election and they would accept them with that mark as late as 1 week after the election date. Essentially allowing two weeks for mail in ballots to reach their destination. Would that be fair to you?
I'm only asking out of curiosity I am not setting you up for a gotcha. I think reasonable compromises can be made to accomidate people if there is an intent to do it.

I am amazed at how many on the left fall for these narratives.
Why, elections are Gerrymander all over the world, in exactly the same manner, by the ruling party's. But here, in England's heartland, exactly the same way as America.

Why, elections are Gerrymander all over the world, in exactly the same manner, by the ruling party's. But here, in England's heartland, exactly the same way as America.
Not gerrymandering - flat out lies, even with the truth staring them in the face.

What if the state said the post mark must be one week prior to the day of the election and they would accept them with that mark as late as 1 week after the election date. Essentially allowing two weeks for mail in ballots to reach their destination. Would that be fair to you?
I'm only asking out of curiosity I am not setting you up for a gotcha. I think reasonable compromises can be made to accomidate people if there is an intent to do it.
A reasonable compromise is anyone whose mail in ballot is postmarked before the end of election day, their vote counts. I would compromise by offering post marks are valid up to three days before the election. If the post office can't move a letter twenty miles in three days something is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom