• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Law Requiring Receipt of Mail-In Ballots By Election Day

You didn't answer my questions.

I did answer the questions. The law says the ballots have to be received by Election Day. The voters are responsible for ensuring that happens. If they fail to do so then they won’t be counted just as a person can’t show up at the polls hours after they close and demand to cast a countable ballot.

That's not fair!

What are the Democrats supposed to do with all those "magically misplaced" ballots that by miracle suddenly show up the day after the election in a very tight race?
I could tell you but I'd get banned.

Thank goodness votes mailed and therefore cast timely before the election but held up by an overburdened and incompetent USPS will be thrown out, as God intended, or something.

It's fascinating how right wingers in this era cheer any effort to discard legally cast ballots, make voting harder, make voting less safe in a pandemic. It's almost like they believe voters voting is a disadvantage to the GOP. Weird.
IMO that's somewhat what it comes down to...voter responsibility.

Voting is a right and a responsibility. Everyone is aware of CV19. There was plenty of time to mail ballots. And loads of awareness and publicly visible assistance.

But IMO, states that have the law saying that they need to be postmarked by election day should be upheld.

And if The Donald hadnt made a huge fuss over fraud and factually tried to hamstring the USPS, then I'd be completely behind this SCOTUS decision. Sad that even their correct decisions can be abused by a shitty, self-interested leader.

So explain to me if you would why after a week my ballot has not reached the post office that's twenty miles away and it's my fault.
Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you have to know government bureaucracies suck at efficiency. And you are the one who is trusting your ballot to an inefficient bureaucrat. Nobody's fault but your own. I realize libs aren't really into personal responsibility, but like it or no, it exists.

Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you have to know government bureaucracies suck at efficiency. And you are the one who is trusting your ballot to an inefficient bureaucrat. Nobody's fault but your own. I realize libs aren't really into personal responsibility, but like it or no, it exists.
Once you reach the age you can claim your social security if there is any still around, you'll see just how efficient a one payer system is. If anything my check sometimes arrives early in my bank but never ever late.

How is this voter suppression?

It's voter suppression because a) democrats don't think election laws should apply to them and b) think their supporters are too stupid to mail their ballots in on time.

Cheating our electoral process has become a #1 priority for democrats, which is why they oppose voter IDs, want open boarders, are staunch supporters of ballot harvesting and are pushing so hard for an all mail-in election. They will support anything that makes cheating easier, and oppose anything that protects the integrity of our elections.

You do that. The 6-3 conservative majority in the United State Supreme Court supports freedom.
Mmmmm....... yes...mmmmm..... supports freedom?
The United Nations could if asked send in invigilators to oversee the election. They do that with all third world nations. But the system would fall at the first hurdle! The system marginalises the people, the electorate, to their detriment! It could not be classed and a fair and free election, before one single vote was cast!

Mail in ballots must be received by election day! (y)

And in case you wondered?

QUESTION OF THE NIGHT

From a reader: Now that we have 9 justices (thank God) can the 4-4 Robert’s “failure” be reviewed by the SC?

Answer: Yes, they filed on Friday, asking for an expedited ruling on the merits (the prior ruling was on a request for an emergency injunction). I wouldn’t get your hopes up, however, given the timing.

Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Law Requiring Receipt of Mail-In Ballots By Election Day
Refuses to vacate 7th Circuit stay of District Court injunction extending the deadline, with the three liberal Justices dissenting.

The United States Supreme Court has upheld Wisconsin law requiring that absentee and mail-in ballots be received by Election Day. The Court rejected lower court attempts to extend the deadline for receive. The decision came in an Order denying a motion to vacate a prior 7th Circuit stay of lower court injunction.

The Order with all dissenting and concurring opinions is here.
Chief Justice Roberts, trying to distinguish his failure in the Pennsylvania case, wrote in concurrence:

Heaven forbid the will of the people be done, amirite?

Why even call it a democratic republic when the whole plan of the republicans is to keep as many votes as possible being cast or counted? Call it the "Whoever Can Game the System Best" Republic.

Where is the Republican party's honor. Why such craven cowards?

Several things:

1. Wisconsin voters have been able to cast by mail since the first week of September.

2. USPS warned the public that absentee voters need to mail their ballot by October 27th to ensure it is delivered by the deadline.

3. Wisconsin voters are not dependent on USPS. They also have the option of casting their ballot in-person before and on Election Day.

There is absolutely nothing preventing Wisconsin voters from casting their ballots in time to satisfy receipt by the current legal deadline and therefore no justification for a court to intervene and unilaterally change the rules at the last minute.

Do you object to all votes received on time according to the various laws being counted?

Mmmmm....... yes...mmmmm..... supports freedom?
The United Nations could if asked send in invigilators to oversee the election. They do that with all third world nations. But the system would fall at the first hurdle! The system marginalises the people, the electorate, to their detriment! It could not be classed and a fair and free election, before one single vote was cast!

We aren't havng 1 election. We are having like 58 of them, but if the UN wants to come in, sure I support a small pilot project in which they oversee elections in blue states and see how it goes.

That's not the question. The actual issue is why a vote cast legally should be discarded if the USPS is too incompetent to get it to its destination in a week? What principle demands that a legally cast ballot be discarded, depending on how quickly the USPS can deliver the ballot?
It's not legally cast unless received by the deadline... which was set by the state...

So explain to me if you would why after a week my ballot has not reached the post office that's twenty miles away and it's my fault.
Ummm... your ballot isn't counted at the post office... you may wish to read where your ballot actually needs to get to in order to be counted...

We aren't havng 1 election. We are having like 58 of them, but if the UN wants to come in, sure I support a small pilot project in which they oversee elections in blue states and see how it goes.
I fully understand what you have stated, but you don't understand my statement!
They political system itself is unfair to the electorate. Regardless of it being blue or red! They United Nations invigilators would condemn the illegalities, just one example, the exclusion of democratic rights of individuals, Americans, to stand for election!

It's not legally cast unless received by the deadline... which was set by the state...
That's not quite right. It's legally cast if it's mailed before the deadline. Whether it's COUNTED depends on how fast a third party voters cannot control, USPS, does their job. What I'm asking is what principle demands that vote get discarded, tossed, if USPS can't get off their ass and get it to the right location on time. If it takes 10 days, did you illegally cast that vote?

We all know what the law says about counting the ballots. You're using semantics to avoid the point.

What principle demands that a legally cast ballot be discarded, depending on how quickly the USPS can deliver the ballot?
State law, from the sounds of it.

Is that the line you use on your mother when her Christmas present arrives on the 28th?

Ummm... your ballot isn't counted at the post office... you may wish to read where your ballot actually needs to get to in order to be counted...
Excuse me I used an incorrect word. Did you get the gist? I went to my local early voting place and into the drop box it went. I didn't mail it.

Is that the line you use on your mother when her Christmas present arrives on the 28th?
No, my mom is long gone. Tell us please what is wrong with going with the postmark from the day it arrived at the post office? Nothing, they should be counted. Who is it that doesn't want them counted? Well republicans of course. I don't know how any republican can feel good about their party with all the dirty tactics and legal maneuvers to try to suppress the democratic vote. What does it say about the R's when they have to cheat to win?

No, my mom is long gone. Tell us please what is wrong with going with the postmark from the day it arrived at the post office? Nothing, they should be counted. Who is it that doesn't want them counted? Well republicans of course.
There is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps you sbould try to get the law changed in Wisconsin and the 30 other states that have the same law.

There is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps you sbould try to get the law changed in Wisconsin and the 30 other states that have the same law.
I can damn well assure you if it was the other way around and the dems were pulling these stunts on the R's, you guys would be going wild. Nothing wrong with tossing people's ballots because the mail didn't get them their before election day ended. Any of those thirty states blue states?

State law, from the sounds of it.
That's not a principle.

When the USPS tells us it takes up to 10 days to deliver a ballot in the same county, Democrats say, hey, maybe extend the deadline and count as many votes mailed by election day as possible, because it's a good thing to count votes legally cast!

Republicans say, **** that! They not only don't agree with counting those votes, they are making repeated trips to the Supreme Court to prevent it. The question is WHY? What's the problem with counting those votes? We know there's not much of a case, because Kavanaugh, with his fancy degree, and with clerks that are the best and brightest, came up with a laughable argument, but do you have an opinion? What's the harm in an extended deadline?

Do you object to all votes received on time according to the various laws being counted?

I object to courts changing those deadlines at the last minute and creating a patchwork of extensions that go up to 9 days after Election Day.

No, my mom is long gone. Tell us please what is wrong with going with the postmark from the day it arrived at the post office? Nothing, they should be counted. Who is it that doesn't want them counted? Well republicans of course. I don't know how any republican can feel good about their party with all the dirty tactics and legal maneuvers to try to suppress the democratic vote. What does it say about the R's when they have to cheat to win?
Some states may do it based on postmarks, but I suspect that in most states, the ballot has to arrive by midnight on election day.
If based on postmarks, there could still be valid ballots from earlier elections floating around.
Consider an actual vote cast at the voting location, if a person arrives the day after the election,
it really does not matter when they left home to go vote.

It's voter suppression because a) democrats don't think election laws should apply to them and b) think their supporters are too stupid to mail their ballots in on time.

Cheating our electoral process has become a #1 priority for democrats, which is why they oppose voter IDs, want open boarders, are staunch supporters of ballot harvesting and are pushing so hard for an all mail-in election. They will support anything that makes cheating easier, and oppose anything that protects the integrity of our elections.

Pure projection.

You love liars, cheats, frauds, criminals and the lies they tell, the cheats they do, the frauds they commit and the cimes they perpretrate as long as it benefits your politician Sports Team.

I fully understand what you have stated, but you don't understand my statement!
They political system itself is unfair to the electorate. Regardless of it being blue or red! They United Nations invigilators would condemn the illegalities, just one example, the exclusion of democratic rights of individuals, Americans, to stand for election!

Different Americans have different rights when it comes to American elections based on where you live. Each state determines how its electors are decided and therefore have their own set of election laws.

Back
Top Bottom