• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Law Requiring Receipt of Mail-In Ballots By Election Day

Common Sense 1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Mail in ballots must be received by election day! (y)

And in case you wondered?

QUESTION OF THE NIGHT

From a reader: Now that we have 9 justices (thank God) can the 4-4 Robert’s “failure” be reviewed by the SC?

Answer: Yes, they filed on Friday, asking for an expedited ruling on the merits (the prior ruling was on a request for an emergency injunction). I wouldn’t get your hopes up, however, given the timing.

Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Law Requiring Receipt of Mail-In Ballots By Election Day
Refuses to vacate 7th Circuit stay of District Court injunction extending the deadline, with the three liberal Justices dissenting.

The United States Supreme Court has upheld Wisconsin law requiring that absentee and mail-in ballots be received by Election Day. The Court rejected lower court attempts to extend the deadline for receive. The decision came in an Order denying a motion to vacate a prior 7th Circuit stay of lower court injunction.

The Order with all dissenting and concurring opinions is here.
Chief Justice Roberts, trying to distinguish his failure in the Pennsylvania case, wrote in concurrence:

That's not fair!

What are the Democrats supposed to do with all those "magically misplaced" ballots that by miracle suddenly show up the day after the election in a very tight race?

Blatant voter suppression, the gop should be proud of all the ways different R's in leadership positions are doing their damndest to keep people from voting. Making america white again.
Laugh now, the price to be paid will come due.

Another example of the Reps having made every effort over the last 12-15 yrs to take over states so that these kinds of decisions would go in there favor, among many other action. Meanwhile over that time, the Dems looked on and did next to nothing. If they noticed at all.

If your ballot mysteriously catches fire before it gets counted, I guess you're SOL.

Mail in ballots must be received by election day! (y)

And in case you wondered?

QUESTION OF THE NIGHT

From a reader: Now that we have 9 justices (thank God) can the 4-4 Robert’s “failure” be reviewed by the SC?

Answer: Yes, they filed on Friday, asking for an expedited ruling on the merits (the prior ruling was on a request for an emergency injunction). I wouldn’t get your hopes up, however, given the timing.

Refuses to vacate 7th Circuit stay of District Court injunction extending the deadline, with the three liberal Justices dissenting.

The United States Supreme Court has upheld Wisconsin law requiring that absentee and mail-in ballots be received by Election Day. The Court rejected lower court attempts to extend the deadline for receive. The decision came in an Order denying a motion to vacate a prior 7th Circuit stay of lower court injunction.

The Order with all dissenting and concurring opinions is here.
Chief Justice Roberts, trying to distinguish his failure in the Pennsylvania case, wrote in concurrence:

Thank goodness votes mailed and therefore cast timely before the election but held up by an overburdened and incompetent USPS will be thrown out, as God intended, or something.

It's fascinating how right wingers in this era cheer any effort to discard legally cast ballots, make voting harder, make voting less safe in a pandemic. It's almost like they believe voters voting is a disadvantage to the GOP. Weird.

Blatant voter suppression, the gop should be proud of all the ways different R's in leadership positions are doing their damndest to keep people from voting. Making america white again.
How is this voter suppression?

How is this voter suppression?
I mailed my ballot a week before the election if it doesn't get to where it's supposed to go by election day is it my fault? I think it has to travel twenty miles. I could walk that in a week.

I mailed my ballot a week before the election if it doesn't get to where it's supposed to go by election day is it my fault? I think it has to travel twenty miles. I could walk that in a week.
Yes. Why would you even trust your vote to the postal service?

So explain to me if you would why after a week my ballot has not reached the post office that's twenty miles away and it's my fault.

so now all they have to do is slow down the mail accidentally on purpose. good thing that hasn't been tried yet.

wait

^^Goodness... wrong on so many counts. People voting in the largest numbers and we get a post like this??^^

so now all they have to do is slow down the mail accidentally on purpose. good thing that hasn't been tried yet.

wait

Or the democrats could change the law instead of trying to get an activist judge with no legal authority to do so to intervene and invent a new standard for the democrats. There is a reason this case went a different way than the PA case on this issue and her name is not Barrett.

So explain to me if you would why after a week my ballot has not reached the post office that's twenty miles away and it's my fault.

because they love Tweety so much that it creates a reality bubble lens through which they can see that it's obviously your fault, and vote in person or tough shit. what do i win?

That's not the question. The actual issue is why a vote cast legally should be discarded if the USPS is too incompetent to get it to its destination in a week? What principle demands that a legally cast ballot be discarded, depending on how quickly the USPS can deliver the ballot?

^^Goodness... wrong on so many counts. People voting in the largest numbers and we get a post like this??^^
People are voting in massive numbers despite and because of the gop's blatant attempts at voter suppression. Heck you can deny it, it's what trump supporters do. Deny what they don't like.

because they love Tweety so much that it creates a reality bubble lens through which they can see that it's obviously your fault, and vote in person or tough shit. what do i win?
The honesty medal, it managed to escape from the right.

Or the democrats could change the law instead of trying to get an activist judge with no legal authority to do so to intervene and invent a new standard for the democrats. There is a reason this case went a different way than the PA case on this issue and her name is not Barrett.

i'll stick with my own summary, thanks.

i'll stick with my own summary, thanks.

You do that. The 6-3 conservative majority in the United State Supreme Court supports freedom.

That's not the question. The actual issue is why a vote cast legally should be discarded if the USPS is too incompetent to get it to its destination in a week? What principle demands that a legally cast ballot be discarded, depending on how quickly the USPS can deliver the ballot?

Several things:

1. Wisconsin voters have been able to cast by mail since the first week of September.

2. USPS warned the public that absentee voters need to mail their ballot by October 27th to ensure it is delivered by the deadline.

3. Wisconsin voters are not dependent on USPS. They also have the option of casting their ballot in-person before and on Election Day.

There is absolutely nothing preventing Wisconsin voters from casting their ballots in time to satisfy receipt by the current legal deadline and therefore no justification for a court to intervene and unilaterally change the rules at the last minute.

How hard is it to simply ensure that the ballot is postmarked by election day?

Several things:

1. Wisconsin voters have been able to cast by mail since the first week of September.

2. USPS warned the public that absentee voters need to mail their ballot by October 27th to ensure it is delivered by the deadline.

3. Wisconsin voters are not dependent on USPS. They also have the option of casting their ballot in-person before and on Election Day.

There is absolutely nothing preventing Wisconsin voters from casting their ballots in time to satisfy receipt by the current legal deadline and therefore no justification for a court to intervene and unilaterally change the rules at the last minute.
You didn't answer my questions.

Back
Top Bottom