• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Upholds Texas College’s Affirmative Action Plan

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/supreme-c...ion-plan-144504331--abc-news-topstories.html#

[FONT=&quot]In the first Fisher case, the Supreme Court ruled that the lower courts were too deferential to school administrators, requiring the courts to look more closely at evidence rather than accept school administrators’ assurances of their good intentions when considering race. A lower court took another look and stood by its earlier decision, and the case ended up back before the justices, who heard oral arguments Dec. 9, 2015.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Texas has a unique admissions program, which first takes approximately the top 10 percent of graduating seniors from each high school in the state. To fill the remaining spots, the system examines students’ applications in what it calls a holistic analysis, considering areas such as race, community service, leadership and family circumstances.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fisher’s attorneys argued that the implementation of the top 10 percent program is sufficient to increase minority enrollment, so there is no need to take race into account when filling the remaining spots.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fisher attorney Bert Rein argued in December before the Supreme Court that U.T. needed to prove that the use of race in its admissions process was a “necessary last resort” in pursuing diversity, taking into account reasonably available nonracial alternatives.[/FONT]

... It is a shame that this poor girl was brainwashed by the alt-right into believing she could have gotten into school if it weren't for the minorities who pushed her out. It seems to me like the court saw through her arguments. I'd also like to provide this additional fact buried in all of this:

Who Is Abigail Fisher? Facts About The 2015 Supreme Court Affirmative Action Case

[FONT=&quot]"Although one African-American and four Latino applicants with lower combined academic and personal achievement scores than Ms. Fisher’s were provisionally admitted, so were 42 white applicants whose scores were identical to or lower than hers. Similarly, 168 black and Latino students with academic and personal achievement profiles that were as good as, or better than, Ms. Fisher’s were also denied, according to the university," Elise Boddie, a law professor at Rutgers, wrote in the [/FONT]New York Times[FONT=&quot] this week. [/FONT]

In short, there were 42 other white people who were accepted with scores that were identical or lower than Fisher's, however, she decided to argue that the policy which gave minorities the same possibility it gave to many white applicants was to blame. What's most interesting is that Texas' plan of admission is in itself a move away from affirmative action in that it completely removes dreaded 'quotas' and instead focuses on a number of factor of which race is just 1 that as you can clearly see is not a determinant. Her arguments are more or less a complaint that affirmative action did not work for her specific situation.

Abigail Fisher, with her 3.59 GPA, though impressive, was in the bottom 8% of all people who applied to UT that year. She wasn't guaranteed to get in anymore than the 168 black and latino students who achieved equal or better standing, applied and were denied.

Hopefully, this settles the matter and I am fine with the decision but I doubt this will be the end of it.

Either we are an officially race blind nation, or we are not.

Perpetuating the use of race as a factor to be used in making official government choices, positively or negatively, prevents us as a society from moving past race as a factor in the rest of our day to day interactions, and only broadens the chasm between the races that we have seen in the streets over the last few years. The same chasm that is vividly demonstrated and symbolized by the hyphenation of our people's descriptions of each other - we are either all Americans, or we are not - segregation and separation, such as using different labels for each other, only breeds contempt for, and by, those not within our own segment of the segregated population. Neither are productive and neither will bring us closer as a people.

JMHO

it said the ruling was 4-3...what happened to the 8th judge?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/supreme-c...ion-plan-144504331--abc-news-topstories.html#

... It is a shame that this poor girl was brainwashed by the alt-right into believing she could have gotten into school if it weren't for the minorities who pushed her out. It seems to me like the court saw through her arguments. I'd also like to provide this additional fact buried in all of this:

Who Is Abigail Fisher? Facts About The 2015 Supreme Court Affirmative Action Case

In short, there were 42 other white people who were accepted with scores that were identical or lower than Fisher's, however, she decided to argue that the policy which gave minorities the same possibility it gave to many white applicants was to blame. What's most interesting is that Texas' plan of admission is in itself a move away from affirmative action in that it completely removes dreaded 'quotas' and instead focuses on a number of factor of which race is just 1 that as you can clearly see is not a determinant. Her arguments are more or less a complaint that affirmative action did not work for her specific situation.

Abigail Fisher, with her 3.59 GPA, though impressive, was in the bottom 8% of all people who applied to UT that year. She wasn't guaranteed to get in anymore than the 168 black and latino students who achieved equal or better standing, applied and were denied.

Hopefully, this settles the matter and I am fine with the decision but I doubt this will be the end of it.

We should consider a blind or double blind application process where grades and merit get separated from personal attributes such as race, sex, ethnicity, nation origin, sexual preference, religion, and the like. The approving body only gets to see the grades and merit and only after approval does it become married back to the personal attributes. The Asians will kick everybody's butt but atleast it would be fair, and that is very important to me.

Either we are an officially race blind nation, or we are not.

If we were a 'racially blind nation', there would have been 168 people of other colors in line waiting to get in before Abigail Fisher. She wouldn't have gotten in. That's what this case has settled in stone. Then who would she have to blame?

Perpetuating the use of race as a factor to be used in making official government choices, positively or negatively, prevents us as a society from moving past race as a factor in the rest of our day to day interactions, and only broadens the chasm between the races that we have seen in the streets over the last few years. The same chasm that is vividly demonstrated and symbolized by the hyphenation of our people's descriptions of each other - we are either all Americans, or we are not - segregation and separation, such as using different labels for each other, only breeds contempt for, and by, those not within our own segment of the segregated population. Neither are productive and neither will bring us closer as a people.

JMHO

It's almost like you didn't read anything I posted and just went for the emotional appeal. Here, I'll simplify my long post:

Abigail Fisher had no guarantee of getting into this school. She was vying for the same position as a 168 other people who didn't get in with equal or better qualifications. The 92% of applicants of all races who had better qualifications than she did ensured that she had to compete with people who were better than her and like her still didn't get in.

Stop the theatrics.

If we were a 'racially blind nation', there would have been 168 people of others colors in line waiting to get in before Abigail Fisher. She wouldn't have gotten in. That's what this case has settled in stone.

It's almost like you didn't read anything I posted and just went for the emotional appeal. Here, I'll simplify my long post:

Abigail Fisher had no guarantee of getting into this school. She was vying for the same position as a 168 other people who didn't get in with equal or better qualifications. The 92% of applicants of all races who had better qualifications than she did ensured that she had to compete with people who were better than her and like her still didn't get in.

Stop the theatrics.

I understand your post, and I understand the ruling. I posted my personal opinion regarding official use of race in government choices, and how we as a society should try to overcome our intended and unintended separation and segregation.

If you feel that's theatrics, then you totally missed the point.

Edit: BTW, I don't care about a whining girl that probably wasn't qualified (more than probably based on the article) that got pissed, got a lawyer, and sued UT.

Last edited:
The 10% rule is itself a problem. I'm about to generalize here and am familiar with itty-bitty school districts that do a great job, but the fact is that it's a lot easier to be in the top 10% of PodunkHigh than it is to be in even the top 15% of a Dallas or Houston school. If you're in the 11th percent in one of those huge high schools, you're just fresh out of luck, especially if you're applying to a school that "everybody" wants to attend.

only a dumbass believes that college admissions should not be holistic, so if texas were to accept her, i would be worried for its sake

it always seems the least qualified who could've done better by just a little more effort are the biggest whiners. Of course, she doesn't care at all about the 168 black and latino kids who were rejected, just assumes they got in or were inferior to her in some other way (probably their race)

if you look at actually (not texas) elite schools, they reject about 94% of apps. So few of the white applicants get rejected due to their race, yet the right wing acts like all 20,000 of the rejects would get in if only they were black

Last edited:
The 10% rule is itself a problem. I'm about to generalize here and am familiar with itty-bitty school districts that do a great job, but the fact is that it's a lot easier to be in the top 10% of PodunkHigh than it is to be in even the top 15% of a Dallas or Houston school. If you're in the 11th percent in one of those huge high schools, you're just fresh out of luck, especially if you're applying to a school that "everybody" wants to attend.

actually you got it backwards, not in terms of competition but options to rig the system in your favor. There's all kinds of remedial classes at huge public schools for an easy A, which a kid looking to go elsewhere for college wouldn't even bother. Also if you have a graduating class of 30 like mine, a 4.0 might not even be top 10%

You might be partly right about berkeley's 4% rule, but honestly if you can't finish top 10% in a huge dallas district, you've little room to complain, with how pathetic K-12 is in that state

I was going to respond thoughtfully and explain why I don't have it backward...but then I read your last clause.

Back
Top Bottom