• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Supreme Court upholds Oregon's physician-assisted suicide law

mixedmedia said:
Well, I was referring to aquapub's captivating post, don't ya know? ;)

I assumed you were, but I wanted to post it again. Its true art.

tryreading said:
I assumed you were, but I wanted to post it again. Its true art.

Art.........you mean like this?

Attachments

• hitler painting 3.jpg
    hitler painting 3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 9
debate_junkie said:
Well boo hoo all you want to. This issue is REAL. My father just died 7 days before Christmas, from lung cancer. For the last 2 months of his life, he was on CONSTANT morphine drips that did nothing to minimize his pain. We could not touch him, nor hug him. We had to watch as he lay there and waste away to nothing. He could keep no food down, and eventually began to vomit bowel excrement because his internal organs were failing miserably. He begged REPEATEDLY for death. At that point, that's all he wanted.. that's all WE wanted.. we wanted his pain to be gone.
I'm so sorry to read about your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I can relate totally because in 1988 my Dad died from stomach cancer having suffered as the disease progressed for more than 4 years. He even had his entire stomach removed. He weighed 65 pounds when he died which was quite ironic since he was a holocaust survivor.

It's amazing to me that anyone could be so self-absorbed that they would want anyone, especially a loved one to suffer such horrible pain.

26 X World Champs said:
I'm so sorry to read about your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I can relate totally because in 1988 my Dad died from stomach cancer having suffered as the disease progressed for more than 4 years. He even had his entire stomach removed. He weighed 65 pounds when he died which was quite ironic since he was a holocaust survivor.

It's amazing to me that anyone could be so self-absorbed that they would want anyone, especially a loved one to suffer such horrible pain.

Thank you, and that's exactly my point. It would have been better off for all of us, but mostly him... he could have simply closed his eyes, and suffered no more.

aps said:
Woo hoo!!!! This is fantastic news! I fully support this law. :2dancing:

Good. I believe people should be able to choose when they die. The government should have no say in that.

However, you are still a liberal idiot.

debate_junkie said:
Thank you, and that's exactly my point. It would have been better off for all of us, but mostly him... he could have simply closed his eyes, and suffered no more.
What you say about the family is right on too. To this day, almost 18 years later my visual memories of my Dad are clouded by the way he looked at the very end. I am still haunted by the effect that cancer had on him, and of course my entire family.

Why must people and families suffer so? What is so odd is that one of the "arguments" against assisted suicide is that one is violating "God's will." Well for me, I cannot accept that "God's will" was to make my Dad's last year on this planet so painful and so undignified and so terrible. Maybe you'll disagree with me but I do not believe that my Higher Power micromanages every detail of everything on this planet so I do not believe at all that God decides that good and loving people like my Dad should die a painful death as "God's will."

Therefore what right does John Ashcroft or anyone else, in or outside of the Bush Crime Family have to prevent a terminally ill person who is suffering uncalled for misery from finding peace?

26 X World Champs said:
What you say about the family is right on too. To this day, almost 18 years later my visual memories of my Dad are clouded by the way he looked at the very end. I am still haunted by the effect that cancer had on him, and of course my entire family.

Why must people and families suffer so? What is so odd is that one of the "arguments" against assisted suicide is that one is violating "God's will." Well for me, I cannot accept that "God's will" was to make my Dad's last year on this planet so painful and so undignified and so terrible. Maybe you'll disagree with me but I do not believe that my Higher Power micromanages every detail of everything on this planet so I do not believe at all that God decides that good and loving people like my Dad should die a painful death as "God's will."

Therefore what right does John Ashcroft or anyone else, in or outside of the Bush Crime Family have to prevent a terminally ill person who is suffering uncalled for misery from finding peace?

I agree, and I see it also like this. If someone is having a heart attack, and CPR is used to recusitate them, isn't that interfering with "God's will"? I would think so. If it's "God's will" for someone to die, wouldn't doing CPR be "playing God" and interfering with his plan?

Death with dignity is the cornerstone of the physician assisted suicide legislation. To think that the people of Oregon WISHED this for their state, and the federal government tried to give themselves power they didn't have, is aggregious on soo many fronts. The thing that really gets me, is a proponent of Bush's campaign's and the Republican party's doctrine is they are FOR state's rights. So the question I have is this... are they only for state's rights as long as the state is in line with their belief systems?

mixedmedia said:
Art.........you mean like this?

I was being sarcastic, the post was very telling, and I wonder why she posted the rant, which was mostly copied from a website which she didn't acknowledge. My conclusion was that she is a bigot, of course.

I didn't know Hitler painted, til now.

26 X World Champs said:

They have the right because God talks to them, at least one of them. They are given great power. Not too long ago, they intended to call a brain-dead woman to testify on her own behalf. They can enable a completely brain dead person to coherently testify before Congress. I previously thought only Benny Hinn could perform such miracles. But they are obviously in his league, endowed with the power of Jesus. Wondrous men.

I am not a Democrat or Republican. But I am going to continue to vote Democrat because they will let me keep my personal rights intact. The party in power now wants way too much control of our lives.

debate_junkie said:
Well boo hoo all you want to. This issue is REAL. My father just died 7 days before Christmas, from lung cancer. For the last 2 months of his life, he was on CONSTANT morphine drips that did nothing to minimize his pain. We could not touch him, nor hug him. We had to watch as he lay there and waste away to nothing. He could keep no food down, and eventually began to vomit bowel excrement because his internal organs were failing miserably. He begged REPEATEDLY for death. At that point, that's all he wanted.. that's all WE wanted.. we wanted his pain to be gone. We wanted him to be at peace. We didn't want to watch him suffer, nor did we want him to suffer.

*scratches my head* your name speaks for itself. I should have payed a bit more attention before I spoke. Compassion doesn't seem to be your strong suit, eh?

Sorry for your loss DJ.

Your example is exactly what this debate is all about. Who in their right minds would want to see their loved ones in a state of excrutiating perpetual pain, with no hope for recovery?

Eventually, medical science will be able to keep us all alive well past the point where life is a viable alternative. Imagine the Matrix scene where the bodies are submerged in fluid, living in an altered dream state. But it's worse than that.

hipsterdufus said:
Sorry for your loss DJ.

Your example is exactly what this debate is all about. Who in their right minds would want to see their loved ones in a state of excrutiating perpetual pain, with no hope for recovery?

Eventually, medical science will be able to keep us all alive well past the point where life is a viable alternative. Imagine the Matrix scene where the bodies are submerged in fluid, living in an altered dream state. But it's worse than that.

Thank you so much. I never saw the Matrix, so I don't know what it is you speak of. But I can see what you're saying. No family ever TRULY wants to let a loved one go. Heck, look at Ted Williams, he was frozen. However, I would sooner let my loved one go peacefully in their sleep, versus waiting for the body to finally give up.

tryreading said:
I was being sarcastic, the post was very telling, and I wonder why she posted the rant, which was mostly copied from a website which she didn't acknowledge. My conclusion was that she is a bigot, of course.

I didn't know Hitler painted, til now.

Then we are on the same page. I was being sarcastic, too.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/Hitler/artist/Price/WashingtonPost210402a.html

Yeah, it kind of blew my mind, too. I had always heard that he wanted to be a painter. Apparently he was pretty prolific though and not entirely without talent - pedestrian perhaps, but able. Kind of creepy. Don't understand why anyone would want to own one of these.....

mixedmedia said:
Then we are on the same page. I was being sarcastic, too.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/Hitler/artist/Price/WashingtonPost210402a.html

Yeah, it kind of blew my mind, too. I had always heard that he wanted to be a painter. Apparently he was pretty prolific though and not entirely without talent - pedestrian perhaps, but able. Kind of creepy. Don't understand why anyone would want to own one of these.....

I guess because of the dark fascination many people feel. I like to watch the WWII era documentaries, and the episodes that deal with Hitler directly are very interesting, again in an evil way.

Back
Top Bottom