• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court: States can purge voters who don't vote or respond to warnings

Federal elections should be on April 15th instead of November 8th.

In fact we could select our choices from the tax form and check who we want to vote for on the tax form!

Since we have to post our taxes on April 15th, and every tax-payer should have a right to vote, it's the perfect day to do both.

It's not rocket science people!

If our Congressional and Executive leaders really wanted 100% participation, this is one way to get it!

Wait a minute- that just makes too much sense doesn't it? LOL!

Election Day is not always on November 8, and not all taxpayers have a right to vote.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-states-purge-voters-who-dont-vote/587316002/

"The court's conservative majority ruled 5-4 that*Ohio did not violate federal laws by*purging voters*who don't*vote and fail to return*notices confirming*their residency."

It's too bad that this has to be yet another partisan issue, but I'm not completely opposed to the ruling. The Republicans sense an advantage, but voter rolls do have to be maintained. The question is in what way and how often? To be fair, I have never missed an election, even in the "less important" years, since my eighteenth birthday because I always check my status before the registration window closes. We all need to be mindful that the politicians in power will do everything in their power to disenfranchise as many of us who will vote for their opponents as possible.

I'll repeat something I say a lot. The entire political system in this country needs to be overhauled from top to bottom.

The court said, at least the majority anyway, that it was limiting it self to deciding whether or not it violates federal law. It's not advocating that this a necessarily a good way of doing it. But let's cut to the chase. What this really all about is that ii really yet another manifestation of GOP's ongoing efforts to restrict voting rights by placing the kind of requirements that put a more undue burden on minorities and the poor. Which they apparently abhor. It's a solution that is in search of a problem that doesn't exist. Voter fraud is not, and has not been. anywhere near a real problem in this country.

If there is a problem it exists in updating the state voter database systems so that they can be first resistant to being hacked or manipulated. Which Russians are sure to attempt to do again in the upcoming election. And create a more efficient and effective methods for maintaining currency and accuracy. This is a more mobile society than it was a couple generations ago. People tend to move around now to different jobs and living places in pursuit of jobs or better jobs. Not as many people living in the same place for long periods of time anymore as in the past.

Election Day is not always on November 8, and not all taxpayers have a right to vote.

Thanks for being an antagonist and missing the point!

November whatever the date is! Is that better for you?

And anyone who is paying taxes, and does not have a right to vote should stand up for their right to vote!

If paying taxes here in America don't give you the right to vote- perhaps it should- or they shouldn't have to pay taxes!

If that is not taxation without representation- I don't know what is! LOL!

So this is odd. It seems that the Ohio actions are not only Constitutional as per the SCOTUS, but follow the guidelines proposed by democrat and voted on affirmatively by every democrat that voted for (which was all of them) in the 1993 Voter Registration Act. That legislation not only allows, but CALL FOR the purging of inactive voters, following prescribed guidelines.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-103hr2rfs/pdf/BILLS-103hr2rfs.pdf

So other than just trying to clam infringement of voting rights, this is...law.

The court said, at least the majority anyway, that it was limiting it self to deciding whether or not it violates federal law. It's not advocating that this a necessarily a good way of doing it. But let's cut to the chase. What this really all about is that ii really yet another manifestation of GOP's ongoing efforts to restrict voting rights by placing the kind of requirements that put a more undue burden on minorities and the poor. Which they apparently abhor. It's a solution that is in search of a problem that doesn't exist. Voter fraud is not, and has not been. anywhere near a real problem in this country.

If there is a problem it exists in updating the state voter database systems so that they can be first resistant to being hacked or manipulated. Which Russians are sure to attempt to do again in the upcoming election. And create a more efficient and effective methods for maintaining currency and accuracy. This is a more mobile society than it was a couple generations ago. People tend to move around now to different jobs and living places in pursuit of jobs or better jobs. Not as many people living in the same place for long periods of time anymore as in the past.

I have no doubt that that's true. It isn't just the Republicans that manipulate election processes. They're just less ashamed of it and more effective at it than the Democrats are because they control more state level mechanisms of power. They're clearly trying to disenfranchise their opposition, but they are so far within their messed up rights to do so.

So what is the workaround for this ruling? I already stated my thoughts. 1.) People who want to vote should be responsible enough to know when their voter registration deadline is and check their status before that deadline every time they want to vote whether they think they are registered or not. That's what I do because voting is that important to me. 2.) For people to whom voting is less important and those who might accidentally miss the deadline, allow registration through Election Day. That way, we have addressed the bull**** concern that the GOP fabricated (the accuracy of voter rolls) and we have also ensured that every person who is eligible to vote and who wants to vote can vote. This seems like a terribly simple thing to fix.

Thanks for being an antagonist and missing the point!

November whatever the date is! Is that better for you?

And anyone who is paying taxes, and does not have a right to vote should stand up for their right to vote!

If paying taxes here in America don't give you the right to vote- perhaps it should- or they shouldn't have to pay taxes!

If that is not taxation without representation- I don't know what is! LOL!

Election Day is the next Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Maybe just say that.

Paying federal income tax is not what gives a person the right to vote. Illegal immigrants, convicted felons, minor children, and corporations can all pay taxes. They can't vote.

Conversely, plenty of people don't pay taxes. You don't want unemployed people, disabled people, elderly people, or slackers to vote?

You didn't think through this.

CO is one of three states that conducts all of its elections by mail. We also allow voter registration until the polls close in case someone finds themselves in the position that the OP article describes and wants to vote in person. Our election system is a great model for other states.

Oregon was the first. In fact the guy who was the architect of VBM is my wife's cousin. He was in your neck of the woods for quite a while helping your state gov't implement it.

Or we could just fix the political system.

I dont see how we do that without convincing citizens to support it, and they dont want to. They would rather run over their opponents, cheat, lie, and steal elections where they can get away with it. Look at the DNC last election. Did they change after they got caught?

I dont see how we do that without convincing citizens to support it, and they dont want to. They would rather run over their opponents, cheat, lie, and steal elections where they can get away with it. Look at the DNC last election. Did they change after they got caught?

That worked out so well for the DNC, didn't it?

That worked out so well for the DNC, didn't it?

Well the candidate who did it got more votes than Trump and now shes getting paid millions to give speeches. Wasserman is still out there, so is the lady who took over for her. Obviously the people dont care about the cheating that went on.

Back
Top Bottom