• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court: States can purge voters who don't vote or respond to warnings

MateoMtnClimber

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-states-purge-voters-who-dont-vote/587316002/

"The court's conservative majority ruled 5-4 that*Ohio did not violate federal laws by*purging voters*who don't*vote and fail to return*notices confirming*their residency."

It's too bad that this has to be yet another partisan issue, but I'm not completely opposed to the ruling. The Republicans sense an advantage, but voter rolls do have to be maintained. The question is in what way and how often? To be fair, I have never missed an election, even in the "less important" years, since my eighteenth birthday because I always check my status before the registration window closes. We all need to be mindful that the politicians in power will do everything in their power to disenfranchise as many of us who will vote for their opponents as possible.

I'll repeat something I say a lot. The entire political system in this country needs to be overhauled from top to bottom.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-states-purge-voters-who-dont-vote/587316002/

"The court's conservative majority ruled 5-4 that*Ohio did not violate federal laws by*purging voters*who don't*vote and fail to return*notices confirming*their residency."

It's too bad that this has to be yet another partisan issue, but I'm not completely opposed to the ruling. The Republicans sense an advantage, but voter rolls do have to be maintained. The question is in what way and how often? To be fair, I have never missed an election, even in the "less important" years, since my eighteenth birthday because I always check my status before the registration window closes. We all need to be mindful that the politicians in power will do everything in their power to disenfranchise as many of us who will vote for their opponents as possible.

I'll repeat something I say a lot. The entire political system in this country needs to be overhauled from top to bottom.
They have a span of 5 years to vote and if there is no activity they are removed. They can register again, without penalty and vote.

That you find that problematic is....problematic.

They have a span of 5 years to vote and if there is no activity they are removed. They can register again, without penalty and vote.

Apparently you didn't read anything I wrote nor did you read the article itself. Go dumb down a different thread.

Apparently you didn't read anything I wrote nor did you read the article itself. Go dumb down a different thread.
Nope...You are completely right. I saw the other two threads on this and stopped right when I saw the word 'partisan' in your comment. My apologies...I 'assumed' this was going to be as ridiculous as the other two...and made my comments accordingly. Completely inappropriate.

The Leftists aren't going to like this, one bit.

Kansas also purges voters if they don't vote in two consecutive federal elections. They have for years and no one that I know of has ever complained. They just re-register.

Nope...You are completely right. I saw the other two threads on this and stopped right when I saw the word 'partisan' in your comment. My apologies...I 'assumed' this was going to be as ridiculous as the other two...and made my comments accordingly. Completely inappropriate.

Shoot, I only checked this subforum for the thread before I made my own.

Kansas also purges voters if they don't vote in two consecutive federal elections. They have for years and no one that I know of has ever complained. They just re-register.

The problem is the deadline for re-registering. If someone has been removed from the voter rolls by the state and then is prohibited from voting, I'm not happy about that. On the other hand, a person who is eligible to vote and wants to vote should probably be responsible enough to mark the registration deadline and confirm her status before that date. That's what I do.

My proposal, since states do need to maintain their voter rolls, is to allow voters to register or re-register to vote up to and on each Election Day.

He never said he found it problematic, or anything like it.

Respond to the post, not the lean.

He never said he found it problematic, or anything like it.

Respond to the post, not the lean.
Carry on...read the thread. Already acknowledged my mistake.

The problem is the deadline for re-registering. If someone has been removed from the voter rolls by the state and then is prohibited from voting, I'm not happy about that. On the other hand, a person who is eligible to vote and wants to vote should probably be responsible enough to mark the registration deadline and confirm her status before that date. That's what I do.

My proposal, since states do need to maintain their voter rolls, is to allow voters to register or re-register to vote up to and on each Election Day.

I have no problem with that. Now the big question I have for you, though, if if they show up on election day to register to vote, what kind of identifying documents would you require them to bring?

I think it is a good first line of defense. It will be interesting to see which states actually carry out a purge versus which states don't.

I have no problem with that. Now the big question I have for you, though, if if they show up on election day to register to vote, what kind of identifying documents would you require them to bring?

In CO, a person must provide their CO driver license or ID card or SSN card. I'm fine with that.

I think it is a good first line of defense. It will be interesting to see which states actually carry out a purge versus which states don't.

It doesn't really matter, does it? The purge is only to remove people who don't vote from the rolls. If they haven't voted in at least six years, it's not a case of voter fraud anyway. That's why I think this issue is a little silly all around. Inactive, ineligible, and deceased voters need to be removed from the rolls sooner or later, but they aren't voting in the first place.

Another reason to use Vote By Mail. If ballot gets sent to an address that is no longer valid for that person, the ballot should get kicked back and the voter's registration invalidated. Have the USPS coordinate forwarding requests with the Elections Board and keep addresses current.

I don't mind registration rules. You gotta have rules.

But please! There is no possible need for gerrymandering unless you enjoy and rely upon partisan politics and voter suppression to win.

End gerrymandering and we have a deal!

The thing is, they already have existing ways to accomplish the same thing with going through this additional cost process. That says it's purely political. So much for fiscal cost-benefit concerns.

Politicians have an incentive to make sure you vote (if you support them), so wouldnt it balance out? As to the topic, this was an easy one. Ohio followed the law to the letter.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/52/20507#d

Another reason to use Vote By Mail. If ballot gets sent to an address that is no longer valid for that person, the ballot should get kicked back and the voter's registration invalidated. Have the USPS coordinate forwarding requests with the Elections Board and keep addresses current.

Mail is only returned for a specific period of time (and only if caught). I've lived in my house for 10 years, and still get mail for the previous owners.

That does bring up a great concept though. USPS will provide their forwarding address file. Why not bounce this up against the voter rolls on a routine basis (perhaps monthly), flag the voter, and send a voter registration card when a voter changes address.

it shouldn't be hard to have an ID or a bill of some kind.
i mean that is typical items everyone has.

Federal elections should be on April 15th instead of November 8th.

In fact we could select our choices from the tax form and check who we want to vote for on the tax form!

Since we have to post our taxes on April 15th, and every tax-payer should have a right to vote, it's the perfect day to do both.

It's not rocket science people!

If our Congressional and Executive leaders really wanted 100% participation, this is one way to get it!

Wait a minute- that just makes too much sense doesn't it? LOL!

CO is one of three states that conducts all of its elections by mail. We also allow voter registration until the polls close in case someone finds themselves in the position that the OP article describes and wants to vote in person. Our election system is a great model for other states.

I don't mind registration rules. You gotta have rules.

But please! There is no possible need for gerrymandering unless you enjoy and rely upon partisan politics and voter suppression to win.

End gerrymandering and we have a deal!

Neither party should be allowed to gerrymander. The Republicans only benefit from gerrymandering more than Democrats do because they control more of the redistricting processes. They're all corrupt as hell and will never stop. The courts have to intervene.

Back
Top Bottom