• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court sides with religious groups in a dispute over Covid-19 restrictions in New York

You'll have to show me in the Constitution where it says you have the right to freedom of assembly only if your Governor thinks it's okay.

show me where your religion is being dictated by the state if you can't pack in with a bunch of other people during a pandemic. can you still pray?

show me where your religion is being dictated by the state if you can't pack in with a bunch of other people during a pandemic. can you still pray?
The First Amendment it says that the government can't interfere with the exercise of it. And let's not forget the part about freedom to assemble whether it's religious or not.

It doesn't make exception during a pandemic.

You'll have to show me in the Constitution where it says you have the right to freedom of assembly only if your Governor thinks it's okay.

It's right after the clause that says it's OK to yell fire in a crowed theater.

Good grief

I am saying that all Trumpists have acted unethically, immorally and unpatriotically. I am a republican but I would not compromise my values to support the degradation of our society and country as Trumpists did.

I'm sorry nowhere in the constitution does it say that you have the right to endanger people by yelling fire in a crowded theater when there isn't one
Good grief

I am saying that all Trumpists have acted unethically, immorally and unpatriotically.
opinions are like anuses.
I am a republican but I would not compromise my values to support the degradation of our society and country as Trumpists did.
I don't care that you have opinions.

The First Amendment it says that the government can't interfere with the exercise of it. And let's not forget the part about freedom to assemble whether it's religious or not.

It doesn't make exception during a pandemic.

This is a public health emergency. No one is telling people that they can't pray or practice reigion. It's a ****ing pandemic. Do not gather in crowds during a pandemic.

No she sided with the First Amendment. And that's good because that's her job.

bullshit

all rulings are political

you know it, i know it, everyone knows it.

This is a public health emergency. No one is telling people that they can't pray or practice reigion. It's a ****ing pandemic. Do not gather in crowds during a pandemic.
Our rights do not get suspended because of a pandemic.

too bad they're not having a BLM riot then they would be immune.

If you want to be scared of a virus that is less dangerous than the flu that is your business.

It's deadlier than the flu. If you understood simple arithmetic you wouldn't spout such nonsense.

It wasn't political, it was elevating religious belief above public health. Trumpism.
It has nothing to do with religious belief it has to do with the Constitution. There is no clause in the Constitution that says that our rights can be suspended because of pandemics. That's not trumpism that's called The republic if you weren't aware that's the type of country we live in.

You show by the ignorance of your post that you lack any understanding or appreciation of those who practice and deeply hold religious faith. And you compound your ignorance by assuming that only Conservatives are religious to such an extent.

I haven't been a follower of institutional religion for a very long time, but I do have respect for those who do.
I am a lifelong practicing Christian (Protestant) who had Sunday-school teacher parents.

If a person's faith is so weak that they cant worship and share and learn and experience the Lord online or in their cars or even home as a family for a few months...they are poor examples of their faith. And selfish ignorant ones at that.

What kind of guidance and ritual and trappings are people so dependent on that they cant practice their religion without them "in person" for awhile?

Personally I don't think those people should be given hospital care if they get it but, that is just me.

Sadly, I must agree with you.

They are two unalike things. Like you and common sense.
And there havent been any major spreads from protests that I've seen reported.

Every day here on the local news we get the infection/death rates for Seattle and local counties and the state. All during those protests here? No spikes.

However we had a very early super spreader event here back in March with a "church choir practicing, indoors." Deaths occurred of adults of all ages.

It's interesting tho...the big celebration crowds I saw after the election, like Times Square? At least 95% of the people were wearing masks :)

Yeah and they wonder why people don't take it seriously.
I have to ask myself, "What do these Democrats know that we don't?". Why are 80-year old Pelosi and 85-year old Feinstein comfortable being out in public and in close proximity to others without masks? Why were they marching and protesting with thousands of people in the streets? How could Gavin Newsom and his wife feel comfortable eating, drinking and generally yucking it up for hours, huddles around a table at The French Laundry, indoors?

Maskless? Every church I know if that's in session has a mask-wearing congregation.

Shouting? Do priests and rabbis shout?
People sing, choirs sing. The medical experts are saying that's one of the worst things you can do.

And other religious preachers definitely shout.

Good grief
Yeah, it's kind of a duh, but...even when spelled out, dont expect any such acknowledgement.

It's amazing to me how the super spreader events are only people you disagree with BLM riots make everybody immune somehow.
Why do you people keep on repeating that tired, weak 'argument' that holds no weight? Racist or out of control cops have been murdering black Americans, black lives do matter and protests are legal and warranted in that case. Big difference from a planned superspreader Trump rally or church service during a pandemic.

All Catholics and Jewish people are conservatives?

SCOTUS will now be responsible for millions of deaths? Millions??

Do you also have posts saying that Cuomo is responsible for thousands of deaths by directing nursing homes to accept Covid patients?

Where did I say "all" Catholics and Jews in my post. Please show me the quote where I explicitly said that.

Yes, millions. Thanks to the ruling, regular service goers will now act as if they have carte blanche permission to squeeze together like sardines to worship. It sets a dangerous precedent.

Nursing homes are different than houses of worship in terms of the density of people within a small area. Attending a service is not the equivalent of buying wine.

So, while everyone was busy with Trump's lame attempted coup, the SCOTUS ruled that NY can't limit attendance at religious services.

Limiting attendance does not impose on religious freedom. Perhaps these 19th century holdouts have never head of radio, TV, newspapers, email, pamphlets, and even the Internets, Youtube, Zoom, etc, etc.

Now, I admit that not keeping people inside and building and subjecting them to peer pressure makes it more difficult to extract donations from them, but that is NOT a freedom of speech or religion issue.

So, now SCOTUS will be responsible for millions of more deaths.

Yay religion.... Many Conservatives are truly idiots with this mindless devotion to an invisible sky daddy, and their ideals which solely revolve around making money for the wealthiest among us, cynically wrapped in blind Patriotism. (e.g. Prosperity theology )

"In a 5-4 ruling, the US Supreme Court sided with religious organizations in a dispute over Covid-19 restrictions put in place by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo limiting the number of people attending religious services."
Why should a ruling like this only be valid in NY? Does the supreme lack of court feel that restrictions should stay in the other 49 states?

Back
Top Bottom