• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court rules Puerto Ricans don't have constitutional right to some federal benefits

The people of Puerto Rico have not voted for statehood.

The proper solution is the retrocede Puerto Rico back to Spain or else devolve it into a protectorate with full self government.

šŸ˜‚

Oh look, EMN with, as usual, the most absurd take of them all.

No, the US is not going to ā€œgive Puerto Rico back to Spainā€. Thatā€™d be even more colonialist than denying them the statehood that they want.

The bravado in this post is hilarious. Nobody is intimidated by people who haven't won a debate, ever. šŸ¤£
That's why nobody is impressed by you.
Nest gaslight I guess

This is only because you get your information from CNN and didn't actually read any of the primary source which was the actual decision. If you had, you'd know they discussed SSI at length.

So the court decided that a US citizen who paid into SSI can collect it if they are in one place but not another. Essentially, the law provides this unequal treatment of a US citizen and the courts went along with it. Now consider the ideas that formed the basis for our nations emergence as a protector of individual human rights. Either a human being has natural rights or they do not. In this case, our country, a human being is not a fully legal human being based upon where they stand on any given day. And we think our constitution is just the best ever...BS is what I say.

Washington (CNN) - Congress can exclude residents of Puerto Rico from some federal disability benefits available to those who live in the 50 states, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

The 8-1 opinion was written by Justice Brett Kavanaugh, with Justice Sonia Sotomayor dissenting.

The case concerned Supplemental Security Income that is available to those living in the 50 states who are older than 65, blind or disabled. But residents of Puerto Rico and other US territories are excluded from receiving the funds.

"In devising tax and benefits programs, it is reasonable for Congress to take account of the general balance of benefits to and burdens on the residents of Puerto Rico," Kavanaugh wrote. "In doing so, Congress need not conduct a dollar-to-dollar comparison of how its tax and benefits programs apply in the States as compared to the Territories, either at the individual or collective level."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/poli...-court-federal-disability-benefits/index.html

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

8-1 ruling is pretty conclusive. Interesting comments by Kavanaugh in the article.
however, if they move to the states they qualify, just like anyone else....because they are citizens.

Why are we still in the Puerto Rico business?

šŸ˜‚

Oh look, EMN with, as usual, the most absurd take of them all.

No, the US is not going to ā€œgive Puerto Rico back to Spainā€.
Tragically so.
Thatā€™d be even more colonialist than denying them the statehood that they want.
Well that comes with a coded assumption that colonialism is bad. Which I do not accept. Then thereā€™s the assumption that modern Puerto Rico, which consists of Spanish speaking people who self identity as Spanish would be a colonial project of Spain, which it is not.

Then thereā€™s the false assertion that ā€œPuerto Ricoā€ broadly wants statehood, which is not correct, but even if it were they are not entitled to such a thing. The US is a compact of states and no new state can be admitted to the compact except by legal process.

So I move to Puerto Rico when I was five years old. I was born in the USA but then my family moves to PR. Then I move back to the US mainland as an adult and pay SS taxes for my entire life. I decide to return to PR and live there. Do I get SS or not?

Tragically so.

Well that comes with a coded assumption that colonialism is bad. Which I do not accept. Then thereā€™s the assumption that modern Puerto Rico, which consists of Spanish speaking people who self identity as Spanish would be a colonial project of Spain, which it is not.

Then thereā€™s the false assertion that ā€œPuerto Ricoā€ broadly wants statehood, which is not correct, but even if it were they are not entitled to such a thing. The US is a compact of states and no new state can be admitted to the compact except by legal process.

You thinking the death of the Spanish Empire was ā€œtragicā€ is your own business, but handing a island over to another government without bothering to see if the people there even want to be run by Spain(spoiler alert: thereā€™s no evidence they do) is blatantly colonialism.

No matter how much you squirm.

But yes, I am well aware that conservatives will fight to the death to keep Puerto Rico from becoming a state, regardless of what the people there want.

No, they donā€™t. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is not Social Security and it is not funded through FICA. He was eligible for Social Security, but not Supplemental Security Income when he was living in Puerto Rico.
So if I live in Michigan, get SSI and then move to Puerto Rico, the benefits that I was getting disappear. Sounds ****ing retarded to me.

Puerto Ricans are required to pay Social Security taxes but have no right to receive Social Security benefits?

I wonder why the phrase "No taxation without representation." sounds faintly in my ears.

Oh, wait, those Puerto Ricans aren't REAL Americans so they don't count.
Think they'll revolt and form their own country?

So if I live in Michigan, get SSI and then move to Puerto Rico, the benefits that I was getting disappear. Sounds ****ing retarded to me.
You get Puerto Ricoā€™s benefit.

Itā€™s like I moved to California and if I moved back to Washington tommorow I would have to pay non resident tuition even though I lived in WA nearly all my life and my family has been in WA since it became a state

So I move to Puerto Rico when I was five years old. I was born in the USA but then my family moves to PR. Then I move back to the US mainland as an adult and pay SS taxes for my entire life. I decide to return to PR and live there. Do I get SS or not?
You get social security retirement benefits. You do not get SSI.

Preventing Puerto Rico from becoming a state when it wants to be one is blatant colonialism, as I clearly stated.
may be Ukraine will want to become a US state as well

So the court decided that a US citizen who paid into SSI can collect it if they are in one place but not another. Essentially, the law provides this unequal treatment of a US citizen and the courts went along with it. Now consider the ideas that formed the basis for our nations emergence as a protector of individual human rights. Either a human being has natural rights or they do not. In this case, our country, a human being is not a fully legal human being based upon where they stand on any given day. And we think our constitution is just the best ever...BS is what I say.
Citizenship isn't relevant. The law allows Congress to create laws that pertain to its States and its territories. SSI is a benefit of the states. It is not the function of the Supreme Court to overturn Constitutional laws just because you don't think its fair. He could have stayed in NY if he wanted to maintain that benefit or he can lobby Puerto Rico to provide a similar benefit.

Last edited:
That's why nobody is impressed by you.
Nest gaslight I guess
He's a very good poster. I am impressed by his arguments. See-when you claim "Nobody" you set yourself up to fail (again)

Yes. Social Security is a benefit afforded to Puerto Ricans. This decision doesn't change that.

Using "retarded" as a negative is lame. Also, if you don't like it you don't have to move to Puerto Rico. But, if you do... they have their own welfare state practices and benefits provided by their government. They're a territory. They aren't a State. You don't get to move to Puerto Rico and double dip as you are apparently in favor of. That would be stupid.

Last edited:
Using "retarded" as a negative is lame. Also, if you don't like it you don't have to move to Puerto Rico. But, if you do... they have their own welfare state practices and benefits provided by their government. They're a territory. They aren't a State. You don't get to move to Puerto Rico and double dip as you are apparently in favor of. That would be stupid.
The whole thing is stupid and should be standardized

Preventing Puerto Rico from becoming a state when it wants to be one is blatant colonialism, as I clearly stated.
I agree with the statement. I do not agree that your statement was clear, which is why I asked for clarification. Thank you.

The whole thing is stupid and should be standardized
It is standardized for the most part. You lose your SSI when you go to any other country or territory as well. If you spend more than a month in Canada you lose your SSI payment too. Very few benefits transfer. The one's that do they generally directly pay into.. like FICA.

The individual who filed the initial suit which was found to be valid at lower level federal courts had lived, worked and paid his taxes in the States. When he retired and moved back to Puerto Rico where he was born, the feds refused to pay the SSI that he had paid for while living in the States.

This is not a case of ALL Puerto Ricans demanding they receive the SSI but just one person who had paid the taxes while living and working in the US.

Denigrating Justice Sotomayor seems to me to be just a bit racist and sexist.

The individual who filed the initial suit which was found to be valid at lower level federal courts had lived, worked and paid his taxes in the States. When he retired and moved back to Puerto Rico where he was born, the feds refused to pay the SSI that he had paid for while living in the States.

This is not a case of ALL Puerto Ricans demanding they receive the SSI but just one person who had paid the taxes while living and working in the US.

Denigrating Justice Sotomayor seems to me to be just a bit racist and sexist.
Playing the race/gender card is easier than playing the smart card. If you retire to another country or territory you lose SSI as well. It doesn't follow you forever just because you spent time in the States. The law is clear. The Constitution is also clear. Sotomayor is consistently saying and writing stupid things in the course or her official capacity. It has nothing to do with her being a woman or a Latina. Assuming her stupidity is based on those characteristics says more about you than the people criticizing her for consistently being wrong.

Back
Top Bottom