• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court rules in favor of Catholic foster care agency that refused to work with same-sex couples

Ah yes, the “charitable works” they charge $10,000 a head for on top of the billions of dollars they receive in government grants.
By all means, cite that.

The Supreme Court on Thursday said that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment when it froze the contract of a Catholic foster care agency that refused to work with same-sex couples as potential foster parents because the agency believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman.”

It is very disappointing that the Supreme Court unanimously decided that not only can a State subcontract discrimination that would be Unconstitutional for it do itself but that it must do so.
Actually, it’s encouraging that SCOTUS still recognizes that the First Amendment still exists.

First one must both recognize and accept the fact that there will be some form of "discrimination" in various aspects of life, and especially interpersonal relations.

For example, many people like to walk around without shoes on. A business can "discriminate" and forbid entry because they refuse to accept possible liability for injury to someone's feet in their place of business.

People discriminate in the choice of partners, potential spouses, friends, where they prefer to go or not go, whom to talk to or not, etc..

We also allow some legal "discrimination" under the various "Equal Rights" acts, which literally require businesses, schools, etc. to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, etc.. (Quotas, who can participate...)

Now when it comes to religion, simply look at the First Amendment.

In regards to this foster care/adoption issue? IMO as long as a person has other options (not all foster care homes are run by religious organizations ya know) then if anyone involved seriously wishes to adopt...find a place that has no problems with it.
This is about formalized, Constitutional law and what the govt may impose on the people.

So your post is mostly irrelevant.

And no, I dont expect a response.

No same sex couples even applied. There wasn't even a theoretical delay. Same sex couples can apply through other agencies that don't have the same religious beliefs. What sense does it make to turn away help?

Worth noting - this was sexual orientation - not 'race, religion, or sex'.
That's fine. Just dont share the govt funding with them. The Vatican has shitloads of $$$$...let them finance orgs with their agendas.

“The costs involved in adopting a child with Catholic Social Services are approximately $10,000.”

So that billions number was across all Catholic Charities in the US?

Adoption isn't cheap in Pennsylvania.

Unanimous vote. Wow.

If adoption/foster groups refuse to accept app,ications from gay couples, they are eliminating those who could be the best, most suitable parents, which flies in the face of their purpose.

They should be a church, or a foster care agency. If they can't do foster care to the best of their ability, they shouldn't be in the business.

How does this help the kids? Allowing the church to discriminate helps the kids?

The only time this would even affect the children going through this agency would be if kids needed to be placed and the only household available was a same-sex couple's. I highly doubt that has ever happened or will ever happen at a Catholic agency.

I think all adoption and foster care agencies should accept and work with any loving, stable families. But I also think that these agencies should not be forced to go against their religion.

So that billions number was across all Catholic Charities in the US?

Adoption isn't cheap in Pennsylvania.
Yes, it’s expensive no matter what private agency you go through but nobody else has the gall to sell a child for $10,000 and call it charity. The $2.9 billion figure is what Catholic Charities, which runs Catholic Social Services, receives in federal and state grants for that hustle.

If adoption/foster groups refuse to accept app,ications from gay couples, they are eliminating those who could be the best, most suitable parents, which flies in the face of their purpose.

They should be a church, or a foster care agency. If they can't do foster care to the best of their ability, they shouldn't be in the business.
You know, the sad thing is that the lay board of the Boston chapter of CSS unanimously approved continued adoption to LGBT parents. But then some clerical bigot stepped in and shut the whole organization down because he’d rather no child have a home than place children with LGBT families.

This SC has demonstrated that it believes religion deserves special treatment, in effect establishing a state religion that worships religion.

Who knew that Kagan and Sotomayor were ultra-conservative fanatics who want a theocracy!

A Catholic adoption agency should not have to work with gay couples. Not a single tax dollar from gay couples should be used by the government to fund Catholic adoption agencies. Fair is fair.

A wall, people. Not on the border but between church and state.
Food kitchens too? Shut 'em down?

So does the city of Philadelphia. They can change the law...the law provided for an exception to their anti-discrimination policy. If they change the law to provide for NO exception, the Supreme Court's decision becomes moot and Catholic gobbledegook can be fired.

I think so.

You know, the sad thing is that the lay board of the Boston chapter of CSS unanimously approved continued adoption to LGBT parents. But then some clerical bigot stepped in and shut the whole organization down because he’d rather no child have a home than place children with LGBT families.

I remember it well.

Yes, it’s expensive no matter what private agency you go through but nobody else has the gall to sell a child for $10,000 and call it charity. The $2.9 billion figure is what Catholic Charities, which runs Catholic Social Services, receives in federal and state grants for that hustle.
I'll ask again, how many adoption agencies engage in "child trafficking" for $0.

I'll ask again, how many adoption agencies engage in "child trafficking" for $0.
I’ll answer that right after you show me where in the Bible Jesus said to go out into the world and perform “charitable works” for the low low price of $10,000 a pop and $2.9 billion in grants.

The issue here is this is scotus attempt to go around gay rights by using the 1st amendment to back door their right to marriage.

That's all these cases ever were and will be
That's a little backwards - the first amendment is part of the constitution. It takes precedence. The equal rights act (and others) are laws. They can't violate the constitution. Trying to use a local ordinance to ignore the first ammendment wwould be the back door.

I’ll answer that right after you show me where in the Bible Jesus said to go out into the world and perform “charitable works” for the low low price of $10,000 a pop and $2.9 billion in grants.
Didn't think so. Have a nice day.

That's fine. Just dont share the govt funding with them. The Vatican has shitloads of $$$$...let them finance orgs with their agendas.
Catholic Charities does provide most of the funding, as well as a lot of volunteer work. The government funding does little beyond reimburse for the expense of monitoring the families, providing training, etc.

Sorry kids, you dont get parents today cause they're gay, and the gays are icky. We know what's best for kids. We are the Catholic Church.

Catholic Charities does provide most of the funding, as well as a lot of volunteer work. The government funding does little beyond reimburse for the expense of monitoring the families, providing training, etc.
Great, let them pay for it all.

I have no objection to the RCC adhering to its beliefs (I disagree but it's their business)...but no govt funding. I do NOT want to support their discrimination with my tax $$. Especially when it's exclusionary and harmful.

Great, let them pay for it all.

I have no objection to the RCC adhering to its beliefs (I disagree but it's their business)...but no govt funding. I do NOT want to support their discrimination with my tax $$. Especially when it's exclusionary and harmful.
It's not 'supporting their discrimination'. It's allowing them to help the state take care of kids. Worth noting that it's not just about the funding (again - reimburses for services for those families). It's also about access to the state placements.

I would never take parenting tips from the Catholic Church.

An entire organization based around the sacrifice of one's kids. Abraham almost sacrificed his. God for sure sacrificed his own kid. I mean there are entire stories justifying the killing of first borns as they belong to other people.

Why would a government then say "yeah, I'll support these people denying kids parents cause the adopting couple is gay and cause they know what is best for kids"?

Hahahaha, oh I know.

It's not 'supporting their discrimination'. It's allowing them to help the state take care of kids. Worth noting that it's not just about the funding (again - reimburses for services for those families). It's also about access to the state placements.
Changes nothing I wrote. Let 'em do it on their dime. Dont use my $...that IMO forces me to support religious beliefs I dont believe in with my tax $$.

Back
Top Bottom