• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court rules for Pennsylvania cheerleader in school free speech case

This post shows you are sadly out of touch with reality in school today. In todays "my kids are the greatest thing ever" helicopter parents don't like it when little Johnny or Sally get called out for misbehaving at all.
I’m old school. I’m aware of the challenges teachers have with parents today. Both my son and daughter-in-law are educators and parents are one of their challenges. Being old school I wouldn’t be able to make it as an educator in today’s world. Reward and punishment as a means of influence seems to have been tossed aside. Now parents expect rewards even when its not earned.

I’m old school. I’m aware of the challenges teachers have with parents today. Both my son and daughter-in-law are educators and parents are one of their challenges. Being old school I wouldn’t be able to make it as an educator in today’s world. Reward and punishment as a means of influence seems to have been tossed aside. Now parents expect rewards even when its not earned.
Totally. I have very close friends working in High Schools and the stories they tell are crazy. Kids do something terrible and the parents go off on the school admins for stopping them. It's worse with the higher income kids in many cases.

I can see where, if a company can prove a direct link to losing revenue or profit due to employee behavior offline would result in a firing or other disciplinary action. Beyond that, I agree, people should have a private life.
An employee can easily damage their employers brand and reputation through personal social media postings which can cost relationships with clients and lead to lost revenue, It happened where I work. Employers monitor their employees SM for good reason.

Juvenile? When was the last time you were involved in a teenage social media event?

I'd have to divulge personal information, and I know better not to do so in a viper's den like online forums but at any rate, your sophomoric assumptions are exactly that, sophomoric assumptions.

An employee can easily damage their employers brand and reputation through personal social media postings which can cost relationships with clients and lead to lost revenue, It happened where I work. Employers monitor their employees SM for good reason.
I'm amazed at the stupid shit people post on Social Media. Employers check that when they make hiring decisions, and yet idiots keep on showing who they really are.

I'm amazed at the stupid shit people post on Social Media. Employers check that when they make hiring decisions, and yet idiots keep on showing who they really are.

Please give examples of what you deem "stupid shit people" post to social media.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves as well. For instance, people who are fired for writing something on their social-media accounts when they are not at work. Should they be able to be terminated for that?

Fundamentally, I think that "social media" has cost us a lot in terms of privacy and protection. And I've long thought that people writing stupid shit on their social media who are fired shouldn't be getting fired for that. They have the right to run their mouths about shit. And if they aren't doing it on company time or company equipment, then it's fine. Assuming, of course, that they aren't posting about committing crimes and stuff like that. However, it's also true that those companies can feel backlash from consumers over it and then it does impact their profits.

Still, I'm not sure that's really enough to give the workplace such large dominance over our private life. But in the end, social media does suck all the ass and is mostly just horrible and useless.

Yep...all of this is why I like chilling here...lol... I don't think I've posted anything to FB, other than "thanks for the birthday wishes", in four years.

Please give examples of what you deem "stupid shit people" post to social media.
32139126-8643727-image-a-30_1597852891932.jpg

Anything that is racist overly political and such. Internet is littered with examples of posts coming back to bite people.

Yeah, but he is not an employee of a private company nor will he ever be.

You wrote, "Employers check that when they make hiring decisions, and yet idiots keep on showing who they really are." Give a relevant example of someone who would write "stupid shit" on social media that would then disqualify them from being hired by a private company.

It needs to be raised, because some of this crap is just getting too much. I don't care if some douche goes on a tirade in public or says stupid stuff (again, assuming that this is not in the commission of crimes and such). And for the most part, people should be free to do so. Social media has really changed the landscape, and I'm of the opinion that it hasn't been changed for the better.

I think that companies do need to be restricted, somewhat (probably not completely), from retaliating against employees that do stupid shit on their personal time.
In at-will states, can't you be fired for anything?

Also, if your employee posted racist, misogynistic, anti-semitic stuff on social media, would you want that person working for you?

I'd have to divulge personal information, and I know better not to do so in a viper's den like online forums but at any rate, your sophomoric assumptions are exactly that, sophomoric assumptions.
How so? Your responses thus far are only 'attacks' with no substance.

Anything that is racist overly political and such. Internet is littered with examples of posts coming back to bite people.

Overly political as in a different political persuasion than the owners of the hiring company? I think people have a right to their personal beliefs; politics.
I get the racist crap though... What about a leftist calling a Trump voter a Nazi? Should they be denied a job?

How so? Your responses thus far are only 'attacks' with no substance.

Nobody compels you to participate in this thread if the topic remains too painful for you to discuss without the stupid ad hominem fails.

Anything political, whatsoever, for one thing...lol...

There you go... ITA with your snark. ;)

You weren't being serious, were you? :unsure:

Whew...sweet. I thought I was gonna have to challenge you to pistols at high noon for a sec there... ;) lol

You might want to rethink this... I added a late edit. ;) Plus, see post #41.

Nobody compels you to participate in this thread if the topic remains too painful for you to discuss without the stupid ad hominem fails.
Same answer. You've called me sophomoric, but you haven't said why. Do you understand the meaning of sophomoric, or just like the way it looks in your post?

Same answer. You've called me sophomoric, but you haven't said why. Do you understand the meaning of sophomoric, or just like the way it looks in your post?

Stop lying. I did not call you sophomoric. I called your pov, your assumptions, sophomoric.

Like I said, if you can't handle it, stop reading my posts.

Back
Top Bottom