• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court May Take Action On State Assault Weapon Bans

jet57

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Aaaaand - here we go!!

WASHINGTON, June 19 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court may weigh in this week on gun control, an issue smoldering again following the June 12 Orlando massacre, with the justices due to decide whether to hear a challenge by gun rights advocates to assault weapon bans in two states.
The Connecticut and New York laws prohibit semiautomatic weapons like the one used by the gunman who fatally shot 49 people at a gay night club in Orlando in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

The Supreme Court will announce as soon as Monday whether it will hear the challenge brought by gun rights groups and individual firearms owners asserting that the laws violate the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantee of the right to bear arms.

I hope Wayne LaPierre is watching... here it comes.

This should be interesting. But they're still mulling if they're going to hear challenges. But if they do.... court will likely vote along ideological lines 4 to 4...and the lower court decision will stand.

Last edited:
I think it's fun watching people argue that people not guilty of any crime can't own what they see fit.

Aaaaand - here we go!!

I hope Wayne LaPierre is watching... here it comes.

New York's ban on AR15's and similar weapons appears to be ineffective.

According to police, Spengler set his house on 191 Lake Road and the family car on fire in the early morning hours of Christmas Eve, and then armed himself with three guns: a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver, a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, and a .223-caliber Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Webster,_New_York_shooting

I think it's fun watching people argue that people not guilty of any crime can't own what they see fit.

Here, go buy one of these:

Tank.jpg

This should be interesting. But they're still mulling if they're going to hear challenges. But if they do.... court will likely vote along ideological lines 4 to 4...and the lower court decision will stand.

It will be very interesting: it's a long time comin, so we'll see what happens.

It would have worked at all the latest mass shootings cites, that's the point. Now the court could elect to not hear it, and that would be bad, because that's only going to make people mad.

No sir. You assume it would work, because you are discounting that criminals, crazies and terrorists who found themselves unable to buy legally, would simply change tactics and buy from the black market, as convicted felons typically do.... which is exactly what the terrorists who committed the Charlie Hebdo massacre did, in a nation with strict gun control.

Because letting people do what they see fit is putting the public safety at risk...as evidenced by the increasing number of mass killings.

Because letting people do what they see fit is putting the public safety at risk...as evidenced by the increasing number of mass killings.

Do you have a link supporting your claim that mass shootings are increasing? The last time I checked was in 2012 when I first heard this claim and from what I found then it wasn't true.

Gun violence is at the lowest it has been in the fifty years since we started tracking it. The public is safer now than it ever has been before.

Gun violence is at the lowest it has been in the fifty years since we started tracking it. The public is safer now than it ever has been before.
It was high to begin with and higher than any other country in the world that's not in a war zone. I mean that's like saying the gun violence is down because there weren't enough bullets to kill everybody.

Btw....the number of mass killings have tripled since 2011.

It was high to begin with and higher than any other country in the world that's not in a war zone.

This is simply factually not true. The United States is not even in the bottom half of all nations in terms of criminal homicide.

ZB6nIl4.jpg

Do you have a link supporting your claim that mass shootings are increasing? The last time I checked was in 2012 when I first heard this claim and from what I found then it wasn't true.
That's not surprising since you ignore everything that isn't NRA and right wing propaganda. So what good would it do to post evidence that doesn't agree with your ideology?

It was high to begin with and higher than any other country in the world that's not in a war zone. I mean that's like saying the gun violence is down because there weren't enough bullets to kill everybody.

1. Five years is a rather short period from which to presume a lasting trend.

2. How many of those shootings were actually or arguably acts of terrorism by persons linked to or inspired by radical Islam? Yes it matters.

1. Five years is a rather short period from which to presume a lasting trend.

2. How many of those shootings were actually or arguably acts of terrorism by persons linked to or inspired by radical Islam? Yes it matters.

1. Yes, lets wait twenty years so the right can see the trend before we do anything to protect public safety.

2. Not that many compared to domestic terrorism by the rightwing and mentally insane. But that's an inconvenient truth that seems to be ignored by the right in their quest for a holy war with all of Islam.

2. Not that many compared to domestic terrorism by the rightwing and mentally insane.

The Orlando shooter was a registered Democrat. You're dangerously close to admitting that the reason you want to ban guns is only because conservatives like them.

1. Yes, lets wait twenty years so the right can see the trend before we do anything to protect public safety.

2. Not that many compared to domestic terrorism by the rightwing and mentally insane. But that's an inconvenient truth that seems to be ignored by the right in their quest for a holy war with all of Islam.

:lamo:

I am neither particularly right wing, nor have any great desire to war with anyone.

The fact remains that radical Islam is the author of most terrorist attacks in the world, including the most recent one.

So we should all be servants or slaves, huh?

The Orlando shooter was a registered Democrat. You're dangerously close to admitting that the reason you want to ban guns is only because conservatives like them.
So, Ted Bundy was a registered Republican and campaign organizer and probably killed over a hundred people. But I guess you forgot about that in your quest to blame the left.

Back
Top Bottom