• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

While completely ignoring the rights of the mother? Are some women more equal than others?
Some rights have a higher priory than others, yes.

For example, my right not be endangered in a false panic supercedes your right to yell “fire!” in theater you know is not on fire.

You’re going to have to accept the concept of fetal rights or this issue will continue to confound you.

Because it is immoral to murder children
Lots of things are immoral in the judgement of others but that doesn't mean there should be a criminal law.

The original Constitution of the United States: BLACKS do not have rights. The STATE says so.
The Nazis under Hitler: JEWS do not have rights. The STATE says so.
The far right ideological Nazis of today: WOMEN do not have the right to decide if they want an abortion. The STATE says so.

A day that will live in infamy.
And we addressed those errors with democratic reforms, not Star Chamber decisions.

I knew this day was going to come. Didn't think it would happen in 2022. If the Democrats had one shred of intelligence, they should use this to their advantage. The public is largely pro-choice.
It will become a major dem talking point in the runup to the midterms. My opinion is that republicans who have been planning on taking control of congress this cycle will be sadly disappointed.

Sorry, you should have known better. The guiding principle behind Drumpf's picks was exactly what brought us together on this thread today. Overturning Roe V Wade, another Drumpf campaign promise realized.
Go fascists...

I try to be optimistic when I can. I think in this case, I was wrong.

If this is all true, he also lied to Susan Collins.

You miss my point. My point being that polls on subjects that have been sold as "precedent" and settled for most people's entire live isn't necessarily capturing honest opinion, it's capturing, to some extent, resignation rather than opnion.

I'm not saying that people's minds will change, I'm saying that people might feel more free to express their honest opinion if the SCOTUS gives them the hope to.

... Soooo... emotions won't change... but emotions will change?
no emotions won't change... the outraged independents i speak of have always disliked conservative ideas of trying to take away women's rights to choose. now they most likely will show it and switch sides during at least this next election if this damn judgement stands.

that is ALL it will really accomplish.

the ONLY way GOP gets around that if this ruling gets stated is to HEAVILY oppose this ruling. and that makes part of their base angry and may not vote.

That about 70% of Americans believe the Government should stay out of people's personal business will change because they (government) dive right into controlling people's lives.

You assume that the 70% wasn't somewhat driven by the belief that Roe-v-Wade coudln't be overturned. Most people learn to accept what they can't change, but when they feel suddenly that it can change they become more open with their opinions. There is no change in this scenario other than the belief that they are free to express their opinions.

The original Constitution of the United States: BLACKS do not have rights. The STATE says so.
The Nazis under Hitler: JEWS do not have rights. The STATE says so.
The far right ideological Nazis of today: WOMEN do not have the right to decide if they want an abortion. The STATE says so.

A day that will live in infamy.
WOw

I’ll have no problem (legally) if it’s an amendment.

What if it's not? What if the Court adopts Thomas's stance that there is no right to privacy in the Constitution and therefore abortion is illegal?

If accurate, a deeply worrying backward step for this country.

Also, it's just kicking the can down the road. "It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

So the states decide? This would just set up the inevitable "Texan woman goes to New Mexico for an abortion" and that massive can of worms.

Personally think the abortion guidelines established in Roe v Wade are good/appropriate. Focused on trimesters and viability of the fetus.

But also believe that those rules belong in legislative statutes....not a questionable 50 year old court interpretation of the Constitution (which was sort of a stretch to begin with.)

The time is now for Congress to grow a set of balls and finally address the issue. Each member of congress has a first priority to get re-elected. And the majority of the voting population is agreeable to some level of abortion rights. The action is very doable and establishing the rules in law is way over due.

It will become a major dem talking point in the runup to the midterms. My opinion is that republicans who have been planning on taking control of congress this cycle will be sadly disappointed.

If I was a Democrat, I would run all of this on a 24 hour loop, along with the Ron "disagree with me in an effort to treat LGBTQ people fairly and I'll bring the power of big government down on you" DeSantis.

Right
The Republican conservatives aren’t going to compromise on a woman’s right to choose and neither are the democrats. It’s not realistic to expect that.
And that’s the problem.

No more of a problem than any other differences between political party ‘platform’ positions. Most existing abortion laws are compromises (even Roe and Casey) - they simply have (use?) different levels of fetal development (time from conception?) standards.

Lots of things are immoral in the judgement of others but that doesn't mean there should be a criminal law.
That should purely be a matter of prudence and not entitlement.

I'll take that bet

no emotions won't change... the outraged independents i speak of have always disliked conservative ideas of trying to take away women's rights to choose. now they most likely will show it and switch sides during at least this next election if this damn judgement stands.

that is ALL it will really accomplish.

So were the Independents outraged before? If you think they are going from not enraged to enraged then you are stating unequivocally that emotions changned.

Abortion doesn't murder children, so that's neither here nor there.
Yes it does. There is no other thing abortion can be. It is the disposal of a child before birth for the selfish gain of the mother. Or sometimes the father if he or his family pressure the mother into getting one to avoid paying and supporting the child

and the left is always saying that Trump accomplished nothing, Hah!

That should purely be a matter of prudence and not entitlement.
Let's be honest. It is about control and a desire to enforce ones morals on others. This from the party to claims to be all about freedom of choice is only OK with that when they agree with the choice.

Back
Top Bottom