• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows
The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wadedecision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

A lot to digest here. If true, and it holds, this will be a major defeat for the left.

My first question is: who leaked this, and was the leak legal?

I’m a little bit surprised that this came out before the midterms, but only a little bit. Ever since Trump won in 2016, this was essentially a fait accompli. The effort to ban abortion nationwide is of course next.

“The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wadedecision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

“Leading antiabortion groups and their allies in Congress have been meeting behind the scenes to plan a national strategy that would kick in if the Supreme Court rolls back abortion rights this summer, including a push for a strict nationwide ban on the procedure if Republicans retake power in Washington.

The effort, activists say, is designed to bring a fight that has been playing out largely in the courts and state legislatures to the national political stage — rallying conservatives around the issue in the midterms and pressuring potential 2024 GOP presidential candidates to take a stand.

The discussions reflect what activists describe as an emerging consensus in some corners of the antiabortion movement to push for hard-line measures that will truly end a practice they see as murder while rejecting any proposals seen as half-measures.”

If accurate, a deeply worrying backward step for this country.

Also, it's just kicking the can down the road. "It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

So the states decide? This would just set up the inevitable "Texan woman goes to New Mexico for an abortion" and that massive can of worms.

If accurate, a deeply worrying backward step for this country.

Also, it's just kicking the can down the road. "It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

So the states decide? This would just set up the inevitable "Texan woman goes to New Mexico for an abortion" and that massive can of worms.
we could have a fugitive woman’s law. Can’t have the property loose in other states.

By the way how long does it take them to overturn Roe V Wade when they took power on the court? 18 months?

Anybody that wants to say these people aren’t activist justices can **** right off. That’s dead. You people are ****ing liars and you’ve always been liars. **** you

I’m a little bit surprised that this came out before the midterms, but only a little bit. Ever since Trump won in 2016, this was essentially a fait accompli. The effort to ban abortion nationwide is of course next.

“The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wadedecision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

I think it was a forgone conclusion, but I also think they didn't want it out yet. Could seriously hurt their party's chances in the midterms, and they're already looking pretty grim.

My mouth dropped a little. Can't believe they're doing it.
I always expected it to happen with these justices on the court; I’m just surprised how quickly it happened

It'll be interesting to see how many abortions done in states like CA, NY, NM, CO, etc are from women in states where it will be overturned.
Kansas's rate has more than doubled since the Texas thing, and is expected to triple with the oklahoma decision. The the Kansas legislature will amend the State Constitution to allow banning them and folks will have to go even further.

Back
Top Bottom