• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Yeah, I'm guessing this leak was intentional. Barely a quarter of Americans support overturning Roe v. Wade while nearly 2/3rds oppose it. Good ammo for the Democrats, and they'll need it.

No it's not. But it will have to wait until a specific case violating women's Const rights come their way re: abortion before it can do it.
I think a specific case isn’t going to take long.

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

A lot to digest here. If true, and it holds, this will be a major defeat for the left.

My first question is: who leaked this, and was the leak legal?
If they do this, I predict a long and painful battle that will end in an amendment to the constitution which legalizes abortion, probably with a few restrictions on when and how.

Edit: And by painful I absolutely include people dying in protests.

Leaking this before the midterms was dumb.
It was on the docket for this year anyway. It would have been announced as the Court came to a close in late June. This was likely leaked to diffuse that impact of people having to digest this in June.

It is a bit silly to take in out on the polls now. This issue was decided in 2016 with the election of Trump. People that cared about this issue needed to defend it then.

That all said, this is the ultimate in legislating from the bench. They have stacked to court to make this happen, and now they have. It seems when it comes to Republicans, the Democrats suffer from terminal failure to imagine: a failure to see their ruthlessness and go against the will of the people.

IMHO, this is an idiotic issue that garnered far too much attention (on both sides). I am pro-choice, but the issue has just garnered far too much attention for too long. Of course, the Evangelicals are going to have to find a new issue to rally their cult around, but I think we have seen that one for awhile as they are seemingly more and more going after gays. Look for gay marriage to be the next legislation from the bench.

Last edited:
Trump S.C. picks come through MAJOR!!!!

Thank you President Trump!!!!!!

FRy3yOmVcAAeMXs

Whoa!

I have no idea what to make of this!

Unbelievable that it's leaked, first of all. I find that unfathomable. Is it even legit?

Secondly, I'm truly surprised it would be over-turned.

I simply have no idea what to make of this?
My sentiments exactly.

Something smells fishy...

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision....”. — Justice Samuel Alito in an initial draft majority opinion

Doesn’t get clearer than that.

Because this is just the first step - the draft will be distributed to the other Justices for suggested changes/additions/deletions then they the justices will meet in person to hammer out a final draft which may be significantly different than the 1st draft. From that the final opinion is written as well as any dissents.

Because this is just the first step - the draft will be distributed to the other Justices for suggested changes/additions/deletions then they the justices will meet in person to hammer out a final draft which may be significantly different than the 1st draft. From that the final opinion is written as well as any dissents.
Based on what? And even then, so what?

What steps would need to be put in place to get a national ban on abortion?
I don't think there is a chance of that. The decision will move to the states and some states will be very much in favor of abortion lenience - even late term. Others may choose to ban them entirely. But each state will be able to reach their own decision. It will move to the states, one step closer to the people.

Whoa!

I have no idea what to make of this!

Unbelievable that it's leaked, first of all. I find that unfathomable. Is it even legit?

Secondly, I'm truly surprised it would be over-turned.

I simply have no idea what to make of this?
I would bet a substantial sum that there's an intense investigation into how this got leaked. Probably a few job openings at SCOTUS pretty soon.

I would bet a substantial sum that there's an intense investigation into how this got leaked. Probably a few job openings at SCOTUS pretty soon.
Yeah, this is like the revelation that a meteor is going to kill the earth was leaked to the public. The meteor is a bit more relevant than the leak. But you go ahead and solve that mystery for us.

It would be a shame if Republicans acting in accordance with Republican beliefs resulted in Republican defeats.
No different for either party.

In 1993 Democrats had the brilliant idea to ban "assault weapons". They got slaughtered in the mid terms. When the majority of one party's base supports something that the VAST majority of the opposition party opposes, acting on it is suicide. Just like this would be.

Back
Top Bottom