• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court gives victory to Planned Parenthood in Medicaid case

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/su...egal-victory-place-planned-parenthood-n945946

[h=1]Supreme Court gives victory to Planned Parenthood in Medicaid case[/h]
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left lower court victories intact for Planned Parenthood in a legal battle with states over access by Medicaid patients to the group's services. The dispute did not involve abortion, but the action by the justices keeps a hot-button political issue off the docket. Three of the court's conservatives said the court should have taken the case. After an anti-abortion group released videos in 2015 that purported to show officials from Planned Parenthood talking about selling fetal tissue, several states immediately terminated Medicaid provider agreements with the group's affiliates. The videos were largely discredited, but the states involved said they found the allegations troubling.
Medicaid patients in Kansas and Louisiana, two of the states that took action against Planned Parenthood, claimed the states violated Medicaid's requirement that patients must be free to seek their health care from any qualified and willing provider. They sued, and lower federal courts found in their favor, entering injunctions that ordered those states to lift their bans. In declining to take up the states' appeals, the Supreme Court's action on Monday leaves those lower court victories for the Medicaid patients in place. Planned Parenthood offers Medicaid patients vaccines, wellness examinations, screening for breast and cervical cancer, contraception services and pregnancy testing. But abortion is not offered, because federal funds cannot pay for them except in cases of rape, incest or life endangerment. The Kansas affiliate said it provides "essential medical care for hundreds of low-income Kansans each year."
Back-up links:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...to-cut-planned-parenthood-funds-idUSKBN1O91PN
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/10/politics/supreme-court-planned-parenthood-abortion/index.html
https://www.npr.org/2018/12/10/675260800/supreme-court-declines-key-planned-parenthood-case
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e8-83c0-b06139e540e5_story.html?noredirect=on
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-court-planned-parenthood-20181210-story.html
https://fox4kc.com/2018/12/10/justices-wont-hear-states-appeal-over-planned-parenthood/

Good the lower ruling should stand that states over stepped in this case.
Another witch hunt/attack against PP fails and american citizens win. Sad some people are so blinded by their hate and dishonesty they want to attack P at any cost.

Kavanaugh sided with the decision to turn away the case. Every once in a while I'll be wrong and be happy about being wrong, and this is one of those times.

Kavanaugh sided with the decision to turn away the case. Every once in a while I'll be wrong and be happy about being wrong, and this is one of those times.

yes and no, this isnt a real test yet IMO . . . this ruling had nothing to to with abortion/RvW

though i do personally believe he feels its settled law and now he is there will responded that way. Hopefully we never find out.

yes and no, this isnt a real test yet IMO . . . this ruling had nothing to to with abortion/RvW

though i do personally believe he feels its settled law and now he is there will responded that way. Hopefully we never find out.

No, it's not the test, but it's a test and one that he passed.

No, it's not the test, but it's a test and one that he passed.

Well after his insane meltdown i guess thats true LOL
I figured he would pull it together though, doesnt excuse his meltdown but i did have hope

Well after his insane meltdown i guess thats true LOL
I figured he would pull it together though, doesnt excuse his meltdown but i did have hope

Insane meltdown? Let me guess, if several people were claiming that you sexually assaulted them you would be a perfect little angel huh? OH wait, let me guess what you're going to say in response...."Of course not, difference between Kavanaugh and I is that HE was applying for the job of Supreme Court Justice, he is to be held to a higher standard and is supposed to be "better". That about sum it up? Well, its a load of horse manure. He's a freaking HUMAN BEING. Any SANE individual that believed themselves to be innocent WOULD get pissed and you damn well know it. Be honest for once.

1.)Insane meltdown?
2.) Let me guess, if several people were claiming that you sexually assaulted them you would be a perfect little angel huh?
3.) OH wait, let me guess what you're going to say in response...."Of course not, difference between Kavanaugh and I is that HE was applying for the job of Supreme Court Justice, he is to be held to a higher standard and is supposed to be "better". That about sum it up?
4.) Well, its a load of horse manure.
5.) He's a freaking HUMAN BEING.
6.) Any SANE individual that believed themselves to be innocent WOULD get pissed and you damn well know it.
7.) Be honest for once.

1.) yes for a person about to be a supreme court justice i found his response and his actions totally unhinged and unbecoming so did many others including other judges
2.) who said anything about an angel? oh thats right thats a strawman you just made up LMAO
3.) We'll you guessed wrong
4.) I agree your made up strawman is a load of horse manure
5.) who said he isnt?
6.) who said he wasnt allowed to be pissed?
7.) Im always honest unlike the BS strawmen you just made up ;)

maybe try this on somebody it will work on next time lol

Insane meltdown? Let me guess, if several people were claiming that you sexually assaulted them you would be a perfect little angel huh? OH wait, let me guess what you're going to say in response...."Of course not, difference between Kavanaugh and I is that HE was applying for the job of Supreme Court Justice, he is to be held to a higher standard and is supposed to be "better". That about sum it up? Well, its a load of horse manure. He's a freaking HUMAN BEING. Any SANE individual that believed themselves to be innocent WOULD get pissed and you damn well know it. Be honest for once.

I read an interesting article that exposed Trump and how he exceeded all expectations with this election. Essentially, because Trump understands anger, even fake anger stoked by the likes of Faux News and sordid other smearmachines like Bitefart and others, he was able to convince a slew of americans to give into their rage and stoked it like a fire master.

The same happened with Kavanaugh. Conservatives supported him whole heartedly - because he was angry, just like them.

This political division is fake, created nonsense, and we all know it.

1.) yes for a person about to be a supreme court justice i found his response and his actions totally unhinged and unbecoming so did many others including other judges
2.) who said anything about an angel? oh thats right thats a strawman you just made up LMAO
3.) We'll you guessed wrong
4.) I agree your made up strawman is a load of horse manure
5.) who said he isnt?
6.) who said he wasnt allowed to be pissed?
7.) Im always honest unlike the BS strawmen you just made up ;)

maybe try this on somebody it will work on next time lol

:lamo You say I made up a strawman, and yet you just did exactly what I predicted. You should learn what a strawman is.

Thomas said:
One of this Court’s primary functions is to resolve “important
matter” on which the courts of appeals are “in
conflict.” Sup. Ct. Rule 10(a); e.g., Thompson v. Keohane,
516 U. S. 99, 106 (1995). This case and Andersen v.
Planned Parenthood of Kan. and Mid-Missouri, No. 17–
1340, present a conflict on a federal question with significant
implications: whether Medicaid recipients have a
private right of action to challenge a State’s determination
of “qualified” Medicaid
providers under 42 U. S. C.
§1396a(a)(23) and Rev. Stat. §1979, 42 U. S. C. §1983.
Five Circuits have held that Medicaid recipients have such
a right, and one Circuit has held that they do not.
* The
last three Circuits to consider the question have themselves
been divided.
This question is important and recurring

In other words, it all depends on where you live. Bummer.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-1492_g3bi.pdf

:lamo You say I made up a strawman, and yet you just did exactly what I predicted. You should learn what a strawman is.

Translation: your factual strawmen were owned and exposed and you got nothing else:2wave:

Yes, insane meltdown. It's not horse manure to rational adult who watched the proceedings. "MY FAMILY IS DESTROYED!!!!!" "What drinks to you like, Senator?" "What goes around comes around"

He proved emotionally unfit for the position, and I can see that some people see that as a plus.

Be honest for once.

If any FEMALE SCOTUS nominee acted the way he did, cons and the right would say she is too "emotional" to be on the court.

Yes, insane meltdown. It's not horse manure to rational adult who watched the proceedings. "MY FAMILY IS DESTROYED!!!!!" "What drinks to you like, Senator?" "What goes around comes around"

He proved emotionally unfit for the position, and I can see that some people see that as a plus.

Be honest for once.

I watched the proceedings. I saw a man that was justifiably angry at being accused of something he didn't do. I saw a man who's family was put through hell, including death threats. I saw low class senators asking a man if he drank as a kid/young adult, when anyone with half a brain knows damn well that 99.9% of people that age DO drink. Democrats gave a truly disgusting show of themselves all the way from holding onto this "information" until the last second possible to claiming that those that voted Kavanaugh onto the Bench as being supporters of rape.

If any FEMALE SCOTUS nominee acted the way he did, cons and the right would say she is too "emotional" to be on the court.

Yeah, you keep spouting your beliefs. Maybe if you say it enough it will become true. :roll:

Yeah, you keep spouting your beliefs. Maybe if you say it enough it will become true. :roll:

Sorry you don't like facts. We've seen it on this board how the right acts towards women.

Well I think Kavanaugh did perjur himself and I have a problem with that. I think he justid=fies it like many justified Clinton's perjery as being "unimportant", but I don't think voting wise he will be quite the extreme right wing guy we feared. I think he'll side with corporations way too much as is his record, but largely to ever get to the point of qualifying for a seat on the SCOTUS they have to hve a pretty deep respect for the law. I don't think he will be bad as we feared and probably not in the ways we feared (I think he will ultimately, even against his personal feeling rule that Roe is settled law), but there will be decisions he sides entirely wrong with. I just supect they will surprise us, and things we suspected he'd side wrong on, he'll surprise us there on occasion too.

I watched the proceedings. I saw a man that was justifiably angry at being accused of something he didn't do. I saw a man who's family was put through hell, including death threats. I saw low class senators asking a man if he drank as a kid/young adult, when anyone with half a brain knows damn well that 99.9% of people that age DO drink. Democrats gave a truly disgusting show of themselves all the way from holding onto this "information" until the last second possible to claiming that those that voted Kavanaugh onto the Bench as being supporters of rape.

I see a guy who drank the Fox "news" talking point kookaid with gusto and went back for a second helping.:roll:

He was histrionic in a way that belied his utter emotional and tempermental incompetency. That, and we still don't actually know what he did and didn't do. He broke down. He whine. He oozed self-entitlement. He deflected. He prevaricated. He wouldn't directly answer very simple questions.

It had nothing to do with Democrats and everything to do with him being unfit for the office.

Be honest for once.

Absolutely MANY would and that would include cons and people on the right and democrats and people on the left too just like they did for Kavanaugh . . . but you shouldnt group cons and those on the right together because they are individuals. Many people right left and center felt his meltdown was unbecoming . . .

While like i said i do think he will be ok now he is there but his actions were certainly concerning and unbecoming and that would go for ANYBODY that had them in his position. The other reality is, he very well maybe guilty of what some people said he did.

I see a guy who drank the Fox "news" talking point kookaid with gusto and went back for a second helping.:roll:

You should get your eyes checked then. I watched all the hearings live on YouTube Via CBS live feeds.

He was histrionic in a way that belied his utter emotional and tempermental incompetency. That, and we still don't actually know what he did and didn't do. He broke down. He whine. He oozed self-entitlement. He deflected. He prevaricated. He wouldn't directly answer very simple questions.

It had nothing to do with Democrats and everything to do with him being unfit for the office.

Be honest for once.

He answered every single question. Just because he didn't answer them to your liking doesn't mean he didn't.

He answered every single question. Just because he didn't answer them to your liking doesn't mean he didn't.

LOL! And that, right there, is classic denial of reality. No, he didn't. To maintain that he did is rank dishonesty.

Be honest for once.

LOL! And that, right there, is classic denial of reality. No, he didn't. To maintain that he did is rank dishonesty.

Be honest for once.

Perhaps its a denial of reality...for those that think reality includes the moon being made of green cheese.

Back
Top Bottom