• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court gives victory to Planned Parenthood in Medicaid case

Always am. Why aren't you? Oh wait...that would require that you give an honest answer.

No, and by claiming that you always are, you're being dishonest, and laughably so.

He simply did not answer all the questions he was asked. To assert that he did is to lie.

I love irony.

Supreme Court sides with Planned Parenthood in funding fight

gettyimages-610823598_wide-d4c52bd11b03a0610ae2cb85135fb443ea9ade3d.jpg

12/10/18
The Supreme Court Monday rebuffed efforts by states to block funding to Planned Parenthood. It left in place two lower court opinions that said that states violate federal law when they terminate Medicaid contracts with Planned Parenthood affiliates who offer preventive care for low income women. It would have taken four justices to agree to hear the issue, and only three conservative justices -- Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch -- voted to hear the case. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh appeared to side with the court's liberals in not taking up the case -- showing an effort to avoid high-profile abortion-related issues for now. At issue is not whether states can provide federal funding for abortion. Instead, the case concerned whether they can block Medicaid funds from offices that provide such women with annual health screens, contraceptive coverage and cancer screening.

Kansas -- one of the states that had asked the Supreme Court to step in -- wanted the justices to review a lower court opinion that held that while states have "broad authority" to ensure that Medicaid health care providers are qualified to provide medical services, "the power has limits." "States may not terminate providers from their Medicaid program for any reason they see fit, especially when that reason is unrelated to the provider's competence and the quality of the health care it provides" a panel of judges on the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals held last February. Planned Parenthood argued that Kansas terminated the Medicaid provider agreements with two affiliates "without cause."

This thread is not about the act of abortion per se (so please don't argue about the morality/legality of abortion here), but rather about the right of states to defund Medicaid providers on a selective basis. Two lower courts have said that states cannot arbitrarily defund PP as a Medicaid provider and the SCOTUS has now refused to hear the case, which indicates a majority of SC judges agree with the lower court rulings at this time. However, I believe this issue will be revisited by SCOTUS after the RBG era.

Related: Supreme Court Declines Key Planned Parenthood Case

What is the beef the right has with Planned Parenthood anyway? They assist with birth control, which presumably lowers the number of potential abortions, plus provide other useful services.

Re: Supreme Court sides with Planned Parenthood in funding fight

gettyimages-610823598_wide-d4c52bd11b03a0610ae2cb85135fb443ea9ade3d.jpg

This thread is not about the act of abortion per se (so please don't argue about the morality/legality of abortion here), but rather about the right of states to defund Medicaid providers on a selective basis. Two lower courts have said that states cannot arbitrarily defund PP as a Medicaid provider and the SCOTUS has now refused to hear the case, which indicates a majority of SC judges agree with the lower court rulings at this time. However, I believe this issue will be revisited by SCOTUS after the RBG era.

Related: Supreme Court Declines Key Planned Parenthood Case

Read Thomas' dissent on the inaction; there are conflicting stances at the lower courts as to whether or not people even have standing to sue a State over their determination of a "valid provider" of medicaid services.

What is the beef the right has with Planned Parenthood anyway? They assist with birth control, which presumably lowers the number of potential abortions, plus provide other useful services.

Well its just sterotypically the right, many on the right are just fine with PP.

But whats actually funny is PP arguable prevents more unwanted pregnancies than any other org in america :shrug:

regardless though this is a good ruling . . if the "sue" issue wants to be revisited in a more narrow scope thats fine but the state over stepped here and thats easy to see.

I watched the proceedings. I saw a man that was justifiably angry at being accused of something he didn't do. I saw a man who's family was put through hell, including death threats. I saw low class senators asking a man if he drank as a kid/young adult, when anyone with half a brain knows damn well that 99.9% of people that age DO drink. Democrats gave a truly disgusting show of themselves all the way from holding onto this "information" until the last second possible to claiming that those that voted Kavanaugh onto the Bench as being supporters of rape.

You only have Kavanaugh's word that he didn't do anything well I believe he did everything he was accused of got away with it because of Shameless Republicans

You forgot to mention that 99.9% of all boys at that age do not attempt to rape women.

The issue isn't booze it's attempted rape and sexual assault Etc. there are now two pervs on the Supreme Court put there by Republicans. Congratulations

Back
Top Bottom