• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court declines to take up Wal-Mart class action appeal….

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
U.S. top court rejects Wal-Mart, Wells Fargo class action appeals | Reuters

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected Wal-Mart Stores Inc's bid to throw out a more than $150 million class action judgment over the retailers’ treatment of workers in Pennsylvania.

The justices declined to hear a Wal-Mart appeal, leaving intact a 2014 ruling by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court that largely upheld a lower court judgment awarding $187 million to the plaintiffs.

The case affects about 187,000 Wal-Mart employees who worked in Pennsylvania between 1998 and 2006.

I sure hope judgments like this will force Wal-Mart to pay a living wage and get off the dole..........

With their low wage scale and limiting hours forces many on food stamps etc...........

They could save the taxpayer billions.............only if they paid folks a living wage

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected Wal-Mart Stores Inc's bid to throw out a more than $150 million class action judgment over the retailers’ treatment of workers in Pennsylvania.

The justices declined to hear a Wal-Mart appeal, leaving intact a 2014 ruling by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court that largely upheld a lower court judgment awarding $187 million to the plaintiffs.

The case affects about 187,000 Wal-Mart employees who worked in Pennsylvania between 1998 and 2006.

I sure hope judgments like this will force Wal-Mart to pay a living wage and get off the dole..........

With their low wage scale and limiting hours forces many on food stamps etc...........

They could save the taxpayer billions.............only if they paid folks a living wage

They force people into food stamps?

I guess people don't have to work there....they can have no job

Would that be better?

walmart is a company....don't like their business practices....don't shop there

No one is holding a gun to their employees head and telling them they have to work for 10 bucks an hour

Most of them have no salable skills, and that is the best job they can find

Maybe they should have learned a trade, or maybe gotten a bit more education

No ones fault but their own

You could look at the revenue of Wal-mart before saying silly things like that. If you ever bothered to look you would see that your idea would put them in the red.

Would that be better?

No one is holding a gun to their employees head and telling them they have to work for 10 bucks an hour

I don't shop there. There product are, generally speaking, throw away items.

The issue is whether or not the taxpayers should subsidize WalMart's business practices. If they cannot make a profit by paying their employees a living wage why should the taxpayers subsidize their business by providing their employees with what should be provided by the employer. WalMart is net loss for society. They provide cheap products, at cheap prices and do not provide the majority of their employees of the bare necessities that working people should have. They blackmail municipalities into giving them tax breaks to place their stores in their community and then further burden the community by not providing living wages making their employees rely on the taxpayers. So they bring little to no tax revenue into the community. Cost the community more in tax dollars per capita. They buy cheap products made by overseas cheap labor which helps erode the U.S. industrial base. The cheap products they sell are generally throw away items sinking our society deeper into the abyss of a throw away mentality which erodes jobs in service industries that use fix those products and resell them. Overall the WalMart business model is like a cancer eating at the American economy.

You could look at the revenue of Wal-mart before saying silly things like that. If you ever bothered to look you would see that your idea would put them in the red.

LOL not at all.

Would that be better?

Let's blame the victim because Wal-Mart does not pay folks a living wage..........

That's what I like about you folks..............all heart

BS.........Walmart is the largest company in the world and you think paying fo9lks a living wage will put them in the red?

Wal-Mart vs. the Morons : snopes.com
Facts About Walmart World's Largest Company - Fortune

BTW

Costco and Target can pay a living wage and they are saure doing well………How can you explain that?

The issue is whether or not the taxpayers should subsidize WalMart's business practices. If they cannot make a profit by paying their employees a living wage why should the taxpayers subsidize their business by providing their employees with what should be provided by the employer. WalMart is net loss for society. They provide cheap products, at cheap prices and do not provide the majority of their employees of the bare necessities that working people should have. They blackmail municipalities into giving them tax breaks to place their stores in their community and then further burden the community by not providing living wages making their employees rely on the taxpayers. So they bring little to no tax revenue into the community. Cost the community more in tax dollars per capita. They buy cheap products made by overseas cheap labor which helps erode the U.S. industrial base. The cheap products they sell are generally throw away items sinking our society deeper into the abyss of a throw away mentality which erodes jobs in service industries that use fix those products and resell them. Overall the WalMart business model is like a cancer eating at the American economy.

so start a campaign to put them out of business

no one is stopping you

other than the american people....who like cheap junk

i dont shop there....never have

i dont shop at sams club or costco or any of those types of places

or open your own business, and do it better than they do....

i am sorry that so many people screwed the pooch by dropping out of high school

i am sorry so many of them never learned a trade, or never learned a skill that would let them earn a decent living

failure on so many levels.....but NONE of it is walmart's fault

no one is stopping you

i am sorry so many of them never learned a trade, or never learned a skill that would let them earn a decent living

come- dude, Walmart has been forcing people to take slaves wages for a long time now.:mrgreen:

no one is stopping you

Well that is a ridiculous statement. So because someone drops out of high school they don't deserve to make a living wage for the work they do? Because someone doesn't or cannot learn a trade that means their menial labor is not worth a living wage? People are just supposed to work hard, take whatever meager pittance their employer condescends to give them and it is up to the rest of society to fill the gaps?

Saying WalMart is not at fault for their business model is just irrational. Of course they are responsible for their business model.

come- dude, Walmart has been forcing people to take slaves wages for a long time now.:mrgreen:

Again, this is not about the individuals who make the decision to work or shop at WalMart. That is a separate argument. This about a company that has chosen a business strategy that is detrimental to its workers, its shoppers, its community and the economy writ large.

Again, this is not about the individuals who make the decision to work or shop at WalMart. That is a separate argument. This about a company that has chosen a business strategy that is detrimental to its workers, its shoppers, its community and the economy writ large.

Walmart forces no one....which is what i was talking about

to apply force to a person would be a crime

Last edited:

no one forces anyone to work at walmart, target or anywhere else.
however to get a job that pays more you have to actually have job skills or at least some kind of education.

walmart markets to the people that they employ they allow millions of people to buy things that they otherwise couldn't afford.

no the US government and labor unions have done more than their share in eroding the US industrial base.

Well that is a ridiculous statement. So because someone drops out of high school they don't deserve to make a living wage for the work they do? Because someone doesn't or cannot learn a trade that means their menial labor is not worth a living wage? People are just supposed to work hard, take whatever meager pittance their employer condescends to give them and it is up to the rest of society to fill the gaps?

Saying WalMart is not at fault for their business model is just irrational. Of course they are responsible for their business model.

define a living wage I am sick of this BS strawman argument.

a business doesn't owe you anything. that is your number 1 issue and the number 1 issue of 99% of the people out there that does not understand this.
a business OWES YOU NOTHING. you deserve to make what you as a person can bring to the market and get for the highest price possible.

if you have no education not job skills then you will have a very hard time negotiating for higher pay.
you are pretty much at the mercy of the person you are applying to.

on the other hand if you have an education, you have job skills and you have good knowledge about what you are doing then you
can easily negotiate for higher pay and a company will pay it. this is why almost all jobs come with pay ranges.

no they are not at fault because people failed to get an education.

the net result of this is 187,000 former walmart employees will receive an average of $1000 each

if there are other ramifications, please point them out

you are more than welcome to open a business and hire as many as you like

pay them whatever wages you deem fair

see how long you can stay in business....

maybe, just maybe you can make it work

but paying someone just because they are a warm body is about as stupid as it gets

here....you EARN your wages....or you are out the door

that means being productive, and making the business money

see....that is the bottom line....profit

it is how i pay the some odd 180 other people who work here

the net result of this is 187,000 former walmart employees will receive an average of $1000 each

Class actions from other Wal-mart stores............and with precedent............ where the burden of proof is easier to prove........But then I don't have a crystal ball...........Do you?

less than that after their lawyers get their cut.

Class actions from other Wal-mart stores............and with precedent............ where the burden of proof is easier to prove........But then I don't have a crystal ball...........Do you?

that's a possibility, now that the template has been established
but it is a very slow process. my union received $7.6 million in a similar uncompensated overtime suit (covering under 2000 employees). it was for overtime worked thru 09/02-01/09. the initial grievance was filed in '02. the money was disbursed 12/13. this is quite a slow process. an action normally undertaken at a non-unionized facility, such as walmart, is by a law office willing to incur all costs of the case for the long period until if and when the suit is won and appeals are heard. that would have to be a very winnable case to make such an expensive gamble. don't know if this particular situation was unique or is typical of walmart practices relative to this precedent setting win

"We are disappointed the Supreme Court decided not to review our case. While we continue to believe these claims should not be bundled together in a class action lawsuit, we respect the court's decision," a Wal-Mart spokesman said.
that spokesperson's comment causes me to again express disappointment that Obama has not directed the department of labor to investigate why walmart has NO bargaining unit locations. it is clear walmart does not want the employees to exercise their right of association as a bargaining unit. as walmart acknowledges, its easier to screw your employees one at a time rather than as a collective group

that's a possibility, now that the template has been established
but it is a very slow process. my union received $7.6 million in a similar uncompensated overtime suit (covering under 2000 employees). it was for overtime worked thru 09/02-01/09. the initial grievance was filed in '02. the money was disbursed 12/13. this is quite a slow process. an action normally undertaken at a non-unionized facility, such as walmart, is by a law office willing to incur all costs of the case for the long period until if and when the suit is won and appeals are heard. that would have to be a very winnable case to make such an expensive gamble. don't know if this particular situation was unique or is typical of walmart practices relative to this precedent setting win

that spokesperson's comment causes me to again express disappointment that Obama has not directed the department of labor to investigate why walmart has NO bargaining unit locations. it is clear walmart does not want the employees to exercise their right of association as a bargaining unit. as walmart acknowledges, its easier to screw your employees one at a time rather than as a collective group

So what............slow? of course...........

"Should not" is much different that "shall not"......

But the issue here was...........by paying folks a living wage "will cause Wal-Mart go into the red"...........

Which is absurd.......when its competition can..... and does so profitably........

It's quite obvious you don't shop there, because you haven't the slightest clue about what they carry.

Furthermore, you must not care at all about the poor who rely on Walmart's low prices. Gee, what a shock, another lib promoting ssomething which would hurt the very people they pretend to care about. :roll:

Last edited:
Walmart forces no one....which is what i was talking about

to apply force to a person would be a crime

WalMart does apply force to the local governments in order to get special tax exemptions for their stores. They are notorious for it.

WalMart does apply force to product suppliers to provide cheap goods. They are notorious for it.

WalMart does apply force to employees to remain non-union. they are notorious for it.

Again it is not about the people who work at WalMart it is about WalMart's business strategy that forces employees to remain non-union. Forces product suppliers into supplying cheap goods. Forces municipalities to provide tax exemptions for their stores. Then turns around and pays their employees so little for their work that they are required to further burden society by forcing them to make up the difference for their employees. It is about government policies that allow WalMart to continue to use these business practices.

no one forces anyone to work at walmart, target or anywhere else.
however to get a job that pays more you have to actually have job skills or at least some kind of education.

walmart markets to the people that they employ they allow millions of people to buy things that they otherwise couldn't afford.

no the US government and labor unions have done more than their share in eroding the US industrial base.

You mean the labor unions that have given us the 40 hour work week. You mean the labor unions that have given us paid vacation. You mean the labor unions that have successfully built a prospering middle class through paid labor by demanding living wages. Those unions have eroded the U.S. industrial base? I would agree with you that the U.S. government policies of trickle down economics have done almost irreparable damage to the U.S. industrial base. WalMart is a key example of that which is what I am arguing...so thanks for agreeing with me.

Again, ad-nauseum, this is not about the people who decide to work for WalMart. This about WalMart's business strategy.

WalMart does apply force to the local governments in order to get special tax exemptions for their stores. They are notorious for it.

WalMart does apply force to product suppliers to provide cheap goods. They are notorious for it.

WalMart does apply force to employees to remain non-union. they are notorious for it.

Again it is not about the people who work at WalMart it is about WalMart's business strategy that forces employees to remain non-union. Forces product suppliers into supplying cheap goods. Forces municipalities to provide tax exemptions for their stores. Then turns around and pays their employees so little for their work that they are required to further burden society by forcing them to make up the difference for their employees. It is about government policies that allow WalMart to continue to use these business practices.

you need to stay focused on what i am talking about if you going to speak on the subject i am on.

here it is:

no one forces anyone, to be forced means you have to do something becuase you have no choice, government, suppliers, workers have choices.

this reminds me of the stupid postings of the past like, " hobby lobby forces people to accept their religion" by not providing certain health care.

define a living wage I am sick of this BS strawman argument.

a business doesn't owe you anything. that is your number 1 issue and the number 1 issue of 99% of the people out there that does not understand this.
a business OWES YOU NOTHING. you deserve to make what you as a person can bring to the market and get for the highest price possible.

if you have no education not job skills then you will have a very hard time negotiating for higher pay.
you are pretty much at the mercy of the person you are applying to.

on the other hand if you have an education, you have job skills and you have good knowledge about what you are doing then you
can easily negotiate for higher pay and a company will pay it. this is why almost all jobs come with pay ranges.

no they are not at fault because people failed to get an education.

I would think a living wage is self-explanatory. If not then it is a wage in which an employee working for you can afford to have decent shelter, decent food and proper healthcare without having to rely on public assistance.

To your point that businesses owe us nothing that is just factually incorrect. They owe us payment for our labor. They owe society the equivalent of what society allows for them. How many liquor stores, retail stores, grocery stores etc. etc. would their be if society did not provide for public policing? How many gas stations would their be, how many retail stores would be able to operate, how many restaurants would be open if society did not provide for roads in which to travel to these stores.

The problem with your ideology is that is completely blind to responsibility. Business has a responsibility to the society at large and a responsibility to its individual employees. Your ideology assumes no responsibility for actions by businesses yet you hold individuals within the society to the strictest possible set of responsibilities. That is not how the social contract works. The social contract is a two way street. Your ideology seems to think it is a one way street. That is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom