• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court clears way for House to get Trump’s taxes

How many average Americans knew the rule even existed until this whole "Trump taxes/Dems in House" thing began? Probably not many. Can't complain about something you didn't know existed.

It's not a rule. It's a law. One that says the IRS "SHALL" provide requested tax returns to Congress upon request.

WHY???

It's a privacy violation. THAT'S WHY!

What privacy violation?

There is not right to privacy in the Constitution remember. That's what Justice Alito and the conservative wing of the SCOTUS informed us of in the Dobbs decision.

WW

WHY???

It's a privacy violation. THAT'S WHY!
I for one do not care how much Trump is worth. I don't think his fawning fans care, either. If there is a notion of criminality (ie., Telling a lender your worth vs telling a taxation entity another amount) I would like to see it prosecuted.

Other than embarrassing the people who are responsible for the tax code, that a billionaire could legally pay less in taxes than others, in particular the working class people who support Trump, what's the big deal? His supporters don't care if he didn't pay a dime in taxes.

So it takes DECADES now to determine if a billionaire is entitled to a refund? Is this some kind of a joke? I've heard of the wheels of justice grinding slowly, but this is ridiculous.

This is something I'm interested in. I want to know if Trump's financial entanglements have influenced his policies and/or decisions. I know that there is one person on the planet that Trump will never speak ill of, namely Vladimir Putin. Why? Is it because Putin (or proxies) holds a note that could financially cripple Trump?

What interest deductions is Trump claiming? And to whom is interest being paid?

Well, we know Trump screws people all the time, including kids with cancer. His fans don't care. They quietly say "**** those kids!" What about his claims that he donated his entire presidential salary to various noble causes? How about when he skipped a primary debate "to raise money for vets"? Did he actually give that money to vets? Or did he just pocket the money like he has for so many other "Stop the Steal" or MAGA causes?
None of the reasons for this is to undermine support from his loyal supporters. The purpose is to consider future laws to prevent abuse and make laws to have voters get knowledge of candidates. In 2016, Trump formed his campaign around the facade that he‘s a successful businessman billionaire. It would have helped voters if they knew he wasn’t as rich as he claimed and his wealth stems from shady and corrupt foreign deals.

Law should prevent a presidential candidate from having financial deals with foreign parties. That’s an emoluments violation but there is no laws codifying this nor the penalty For violation.

I still cannot believe that the House being able to ask for anyone's tax info from the IRS is legal. Definitely a rule that needs to be null and voided.
Your statement sounds like that of an uninformed drunk at the end of the bar.

It’s legal because it’s a law (Section 6103 (f) (1) of Title 26 of the USCode.)

The law written after the Teapot Dome scandal, which involved Secretary of the Interior Albert B. Fall’s no-bid contract to lease federal oil fields in Teapot Dome, Wyoming to a private company on April 7, 1922. Congress’ investigation of the scandal centered on the question of how he got so rich so quickly. The answer was by taking brides.

At the time, Congress was frustrated by insufficient law to investigate the scandal and prevent it from happening again.

Numerous court cases reaffirmed that tax returns are not private documents shielded by the 4th Amendment. I’m sorry the law violates your sensibilities.

I still cannot believe that the House being able to ask for anyone's tax info from the IRS is legal. Definitely a rule that needs to be null and voided.

It is perfectly legal. It has been for years.

Defending your favorite criminal by ranting about something that has been legal for decades is pretty pathetic.

Your beloved fuhrer is the victim because he broke the law you’re whining about.

You are missing the reason Congress wants them. The purpose is to see what a ethics immune president has financially going on, so they can write laws to prevent a future president from being subject to outside influence. Does he have loans or income from foreign powers, as an example?
A tax return won't show "loans." Also, if Congress were worried about "income from foreign powers" they don't need to prove Trump was gaining such income to make a law about it. Congresspeople getting "income from foreign" sources is not uncommon. They can stop it today, if they want to prohibit people from earning money from foreign companies.

Your explanation makes absolutely no sense, because the very notion that Trump is the "ethics immune" politician, but the rest of this crooks were abiding by rules and customs of decent behavior is ridiculous. Just look at the Bidens dealing in China and cutting in the "Big Guy" for 10%. Why not make an ethics law about that? Or, should we just let guys like Trump also be cut in for 10% on deals in China? In other words, whether Trump or someone else is earning money from foreign sources or foreign "powers" is irrelevant - we don't do "bills of attainder" in this country directed to one person. We make laws which are equally applicable to anyone. So what do they need Trump's tax return for in order to make a law about earning money from foreign powers?

This is really just a witch hunt, but since the SCOTUS rejected the separation of powers argument and the legislative purpose argument. We shall see what the find. I'm looking forward to another Geraldo Rivera "open the safe" moment.

Your statement sounds like that of an uninformed drunk at the end of the bar.

It’s legal because it’s a law (Section 6103 (f) (1) of Title 26 of the USCode.)

The law written after the Teapot Dome scandal, which involved Secretary of the Interior Albert B. Fall’s no-bid contract to lease federal oil fields in Teapot Dome, Wyoming to a private company on April 7, 1922. Congress’ investigation of the scandal centered on the question of how he got so rich so quickly. The answer was by taking brides.

At the time, Congress was frustrated by insufficient law to investigate the scandal and prevent it from happening again.

Numerous court cases reaffirmed that tax returns are not private documents shielded by the 4th Amendment. I’m sorry the law violates your sensibilities.

The drunk at the end of the bar! That’s what most of right wing media sounds like. Talk radio ALL sounds like that.

Alex Jones…..speaking of drunks at the end of a bar!

BWAHAHAHAHA! Over a full month for house Dems to pour through TFG's tax returns! 😁
I can't think of anyone more deserving to have this happen to.

Trump has played this out far enough.

What a cheat!

Real Americans do not resent paying for this great country.

It takes a pretty selfish person to want to screw all other Americans to evade taxes and force them to pay your way.

A tax return won't show "loans." Also, if Congress were worried about "income from foreign powers" they don't need to prove Trump was gaining such income to make a law about it. Congresspeople getting "income from foreign" sources is not uncommon. They can stop it today, if they want to prohibit people from earning money from foreign companies.

Your explanation makes absolutely no sense, because the very notion that Trump is the "ethics immune" politician, but the rest of this crooks were abiding by rules and customs of decent behavior is ridiculous. Just look at the Bidens dealing in China and cutting in the "Big Guy" for 10%. Why not make an ethics law about that? Or, should we just let guys like Trump also be cut in for 10% on deals in China? In other words, whether Trump or someone else is earning money from foreign sources or foreign "powers" is irrelevant - we don't do "bills of attainder" in this country directed to one person. We make laws which are equally applicable to anyone. So what do they need Trump's tax return for in order to make a law about earning money from foreign powers?

This is really just a witch hunt, but since the SCOTUS rejected the separation of powers argument and the legislative purpose argument. We shall see what the find. I'm looking forward to another Geraldo Rivera "open the safe" moment.
Income tax returns show interest deductions from loans.
Moreover, the emoluments clause pertains to the president not Congress.
What you wrote about the Bidens is pure speculation and widely disputed. This WaPO article discusses this.
Excerpt:
The Wall Street Journal said that it had reviewed corporate records and found no role for Joe Biden. The Washington Post, in an extensive report on the CEFC dealings, also did not find evidence that Joe Biden personally benefited from or knew details about the transactions with CEFC. The Biden campaign at the time denied he had any role.

You are over-influenced by right wing radio and conspiracy theories. The sources that you deride are far more reliable than the ones you currently use.

Income tax returns show interest deductions from loans.
It doesn't show the details, though.
Moreover, the emoluments clause pertains to the president not Congress.
Sure, and an emolument is a payment or title or something like that from a foreign STATE, not from a foreign company giving a loan.
What you wrote about the Bidens is pure speculation and widely disputed.
So is everything you say about Trump. However, we have emails regarding the business deal, and the testimony of one of the business partners that Biden was the Big Guy. We have at least as much supporting that as anything you bring up about Trump's foreign deals. Your side wants to impeach him for having thought about building a structure in Moscow, which isn't illegal, happens all the time, and doing business in Moscow is normal - Apple, Coke, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc., all do business in Russia. Nothing wrong with it.
This WaPO article discusses this.
Excerpt:
The Wall Street Journal said that it had reviewed corporate records and found no role for Joe Biden.
Sure, he's not an officer and director of a company. That's not what "10% to the Big Guy" means - there wouldn't be a "corporate record" of a payment like that. You'd need his bank records, and testimony from guys like Bobulinski, to track the payments.
The Washington Post, in an extensive report on the CEFC dealings, also did not find evidence that Joe Biden personally benefited from or knew details about the transactions with CEFC.
Sure, they didn't find evidence that Trump colluded with Russia, either, but you believe that. Yet here we have an email and testimony of a witness regarding Biden, and you think because the WaPo didn't "find evidence" that Biden "personally benefitted" (the payment would, in any normal world, be made to an entity controlled by Biden, not Biden himself), and did not review bank records or other information that would contain the evidence, that the case is open and shut. Give him a proctological exam like y'all gave Trump. Look at his tax returns, and his bank records, and subpoena everything - call witnesses, especially those who hate him with a passion. Then see what we find out.
The Biden campaign at the time denied he had any role.
Oh, they denied it? Case closed, then.
You are over-influenced by right wing radio and conspiracy theories. The sources that you deride are far more reliable than the ones you currently use.
Nope. I am applying the same standard to both sides. You are applying a biased standard, where you accept every unsupported claim against one side, and you apply pure skepticism to the other.

I have no doubt that Trump does whatever he can to make as much money as he can. But there is no evidence to date - after 5 years - that he earned money from a foreign power. Yet, you are convinced of it. And, you don't advocate for the same microscope to be applied to Biden.

I've not said Trump is an innocent lamb. I've just accurately stated that Biden, a 50 year career politician who clearly enriched himself and his family on the public dime, until 2008 not making more than $170,000 salary, lol, and having supported every war and every weapons program and otherwise done the bidding of the Military Industrial Complex and the Security State, is a scumbag too, and in a much worse way - as he contributed to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, passed things like the superpredator law, opposed gay marriage, opposed integration and busing -- he's a ****ing scumbag, and yet he's raised up as some sort of honorable guy? Not a chance.

That is a given since he even steals cash from kids with cancer. He can't be that rich to do that can he?
That's the other aspect. He needs to be viewed as some super rich and successful mogul. Without that persona, he's just another asshole.

I guess SCOTUS isn't the "Evil Reich Wing, anti-American, rubber stamp for Trump" organization that we were told by the Left.
I think the Federalist Society finally sent out the memo that it's over.

I really doesn't matter why the committee wants them... The law is CRYSTAL clear.. SHALL furnish...

Trump is dense.. And an egomaniac, so I don't expect him to see what's going on..

But his own court? Republicans politicians? Con media? All turning on him... It's clear.. The GOP does NOT want him anywhere near them in 2024...His time is done... They used him, and he used them... But in the GOPs eyes, his time is over...

These documents were subpoenaed 1.5 congressional terms ago. Now there is unlikely to be sufficient time to study the returns, determine if the mandatory presidential audits are sufficient to safeguard against corruption, and write and pass legislation to fix it.
True that there's only about 1.5 months (riddled with holidays) left to rummage through his several years of tax returns, but for the sake of knowing the truth about those returns, I'm hoping that a few good aides will bite the bullet during these coming darn holidays and scour through those returns to find what's needed to know. All that we the people would need to read is one's own reporting of their findings.

Can those tax returns be handed over to a Senate committee by Jan 2023?

True that there's only about 1.5 months (riddled with holidays) left to rummage through his several years of tax returns, but for the sake of knowing the truth about those returns, I'm hoping that a few good aides will bite the bullet during these coming darn holidays and scour through those returns to find what's needed to know. All that we the people would need to read is one's own reporting of their findings.

Can those tax returns be handed over to a Senate committee by Jan 2023?
There’s not even 1.5 months left. The last day the house is in session is Dec 15th. There are only 14 days left in session as of today. And I doubt that the treasury will comply this week, maybe not even by next.

Can things be done, sure. But Thomas and the rest of the hacks won simply by adding an extra month to “review” a case with zero merit.

They're afraid he'll look like a billionaire cheapskate that pays less in taxes than almost everyone who works for him... and that's REALLY bad optics.
Or, that he isn't as rich as he claims he is. I think for DJT, that option is the worst one.

Lol... You got to know who they are getting their marching orders from... The GOP wants nothing to do with the 3 time loser Trump...
Oh so THAT is it! It's a conspiracy! A plot to make Trump even more toxic...they contacted their operatives in SCOTUS and said "We need you to do what we put you in those chairs for. Let the House have his taxes so we make things worse for him. That's a good judicial toady! We knew we could count on you!"

LOL Where does it say that criminal behavior needs to kept private?
If they suspect that there is criminal behavior going on, they need to get evidence and then a warrant. That's how it works for LEOs all over America.

Besides which, if he was engaging in "criminal behavior" in his taxes, the IRS would've no doubt found it by now. And Mueller's posse would've seen something too when they were running the finest tooth combs through his life.

When was the last time Trump won ANYTHING? He's the worst of the elite complaining about how bad the elite are treating him. No jail is too dark or dungeon deep enough for a man this corrupt.

It is perfectly legal. It has been for years.

Defending your favorite criminal by ranting about something that has been legal for decades is pretty pathetic.

Your beloved fuhrer is the victim because he broke the law you’re whining about.
He hasn't been my "anything" since late Nov. 2020. Sorry.

Oh so THAT is it! It's a conspiracy! A plot to make Trump even more toxic...they contacted their operatives in SCOTUS and said "We need you to do what we put you in those chairs for. Let the House have his taxes so we make things worse for him. That's a good judicial toady! We knew we could count on you!"
Conspiracy? NY Post... Fox... How many Republican Senators applauded his announcement?

This mid term has scared the hell out the GOP and their allies... How many big time donors said no more?

Back
Top Bottom