• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Blocks Obama Immigration Plan[W:138]

ludin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Supreme Court blocks Obama immigration plan | Fox News

The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Obama’s immigration executive actions, in a tie decision that delivers a win to states challenging his plan to give a deportation reprieve to millions of illegal immigrants.

The justices' one-sentence opinion on Thursday effectively kills the plan for the duration of Obama's presidency.

The 4-4 tie vote sets no national precedent but leaves in place the ruling by the lower court. In this case, the federal appeals court in New Orleans said the Obama administration lacked the authority to shield up to 4 million immigrants from deportation and make them eligible for work permits without approval from Congress.

The SCOTUS left in please a lower court ruling that stated Obama overstepped his authority again with his EO on immigration.

Re: Supreme Court Blocks Obama Immigration Plan

Oh woopy…….now the Donald if elected can deport kids to countries they have never lived or know about………

…….. And possibly cannot speak the language……

This should make many unchristian and heartless folks feel good about themselves…….

The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Obama’s immigration executive actions, in a tie decision that delivers a win to states challenging his plan to give a deportation reprieve to millions of illegal immigrants.

The justices' one-sentence opinion on Thursday effectively kills the plan for the duration of Obama's presidency.

The 4-4 tie vote sets no national precedent but leaves in place the ruling by the lower court. In this case, the federal appeals court in New Orleans said the Obama administration lacked the authority to shield up to 4 million immigrants from deportation and make them eligible for work permits without approval from Congress.

The SCOTUS left in please a lower court ruling that stated Obama overstepped his authority again with his EO on immigration.

The left has attacked the 2nd Amendment shamefully with every shooting by not addressing the real issue . They attack the 1st Amendment by disrupting Trump rallies and assaulting supporters . The left attacked the 14th Amendment with the ruling RACE can be used to discriminate in college admissions . And ALL 4 liberals voted in Obama's favor on deporting ILLEGALS ! :roll:

Oh woopy…….now the Donald if elected can deport kids to countries they have never lived or know about………

This should make many unchristian and heartless folks feel good about themselves…….

so you think the president should have the ability to ignore the constitution and the laws of the land?
umm yea that is exactly why the constitution exists to stop that from happening.

pretty scary that 4 justices decided the President can write his own laws without Congress being involved....very scary indeed.

run off to your safe space and cry it out... you'll be ok eventually

Since it was an executive order and not a law passed by congress, the ruling has no bearing on what Trump could or could not do if elected.

so you think the president should have the ability to ignore the constitution and the laws of the land?
umm yea that is exactly why the constitution exists to stop that from happening.

Any executive - be it the President, a Governor, mayor has significant latitude in setting LE priorities if for no other reason than that they don't have unlimited money and manpower. I think you would find that trying to vigorously enforce every single law on the books would bankrupt the country.

pretty scary that 4 justices decided the President can write his own laws without Congress being involved....very scary indeed.

I expect that kind of thing from Justices Kagan and Sotomayor, who are statists. If Justices Ginsburg and Breyer are the other two who signed onto that, it is disappointing. I thought a little better of them.

Least their parents and sibling will go with them

Plus they be be first in line to return.

The left has attacked the 2nd Amendment shamefully with every shooting by not addressing the real issue . They attack the 1st Amendment by disrupting Trump rallies and assaulting supporters . The left attacked the 14th Amendment with the ruling RACE can be used to discriminate in college admissions . And ALL 4 liberals voted in Obama's favor on deporting ILLEGALS ! :roll:

Protesting is not against the First Amendment. Are you actually that thick, or are you just upset that they won't worship your Messiah?

I expect that kind of thing from Justices Kagan and Sotomayor, who are statists. If Justices Ginsburg and Breyer are the other two who signed onto that, it is disappointing. I thought a little better of them.

I don't think highly of any of the 4...I think they are all very intelligent, but their decisions are mostly based on what the Democratic party wants, rather than what the Constitution says is permissible.

Any executive - be it the President, a Governor, mayor has significant latitude in setting LE priorities if for no other reason than that they don't have unlimited money and manpower. I think you would find that trying to vigorously enforce every single law on the books would bankrupt the country.

yet we are still a nation of laws and it is the job of the president to faithfully execute those laws no matter if he agrees with them or not.
if he doesn't agree with them then he can attempt to push congress to change the law. he cannot change the law by EO fiat.

we are not a monarchy or a dictatorship.

Protesting is not against the First Amendment. Are you actually that thick, or are you just upset that they won't worship your Messiah?

when you protest disrupts the other persons right to speak then yes it is against the first amendment.
your right to protest doesn't disrupt the other persons right to speak.

it also doesn't allow you to assault people that are in attendance.

I don't think highly of any of the 4...I think they are all very intelligent, but their decisions are mostly based on what the Democratic party wants, rather than what the Constitution says is permissible.

Well, Justice Scalia had enough personal respect for Justice Ginsburg that their families regularly celebrated New Year's Eve together. She wrote some pretty strong criticism of Roe v. Wade, and I've always thought she at least tried to base her decisions on what she honestly believed whatever part of the Constitution was at issue in the case meant. And when I saw Justices Breyer and Scalia together in a television interview, I got the impression his convictions about constitutional law were completely sincere, but happened not to agree with Scalia's on some matters. And Scalia seemed to see it the same way, as a friendly disagreement about the issues they were discussing. There is no question about the intellect of either Ginsburg or Breyer, or the thoroughness of their understanding of the Constitution.

But Kagan and Sotomayor are shameless rubber stamps for President Pinocchio--statists cut from the same bolt of cloth as him. I think that like B. Hussein, their main interest in the Constitution is how best to get around its restrictions on centralized government power. I once heard a prominent lawyer who had clerked for Justice Kennedy saw he thought Kennedy had such a low opinion of Sotomayor's qualifications that it made him reluctant to vote with her. I hope so, since he is so often the swing vote.

Last edited:

Makes one wonder what this Constitutional Scholar and Professor(Obama) taught at law school since obviously he has no understanding of the Constitution and yet his supporters still support him. Makes me wonder if civics is even being taught any more and why there are so many leftwingers in this country today?

I find it interesting when the Court cannot decide. It really does show that political beliefs play a role in the Court's rulings. One would hope the Court would look at the law and decide if it is a good law or not. To our detriment that is not the case.

it is not suprising that each side of the political spectrum either wants the vacant seat filled on their terms. That is some one it filled before the election , some do not.

yet we are still a nation of laws and it is the job of the president to faithfully execute those laws no matter if he agrees with them or not.
if he doesn't agree with them then he can attempt to push congress to change the law. he cannot change the law by EO fiat.

we are not a monarchy or a dictatorship.

Nope the President can't change laws and he can't enact them - which is really what Obama was doing the with EO's in question. But the President would be completely within his rights to say "because of terrorism enforcing immigration laws against the middle east is much more important than enforcing immigration laws against mexicans and so that's where we're going to spend out ICE money this year."

Makes one wonder what this Constitutional Scholar and Professor(Obama) taught at law school since obviously he has no understanding of the Constitution and yet his supporters still support him. Makes me wonder if civics is even being taught any more and why there are so many leftwingers in this country today?

makes us question his actual grades in these classes. according to his roommate at one college he was a C student at best.
he isn't sure how Obama got into Harvard law school.

Nope the President can't change laws and he can't enact them - which is really what Obama was doing the with EO's in question. But the President would be completely within his rights to say "because of terrorism enforcing immigration laws against the middle east is much more important than enforcing immigration laws against mexicans and so that's where we're going to spend out ICE money this year."

which is irrelevant because that isn't what he did. why are you making up red herring arguments?

I find it interesting when the Court cannot decide. It really does show that political beliefs play a role in the Court's rulings. One would hope the Court would look at the law and decide if it is a good law or not. To our detriment that is not the case.

it is not suprising that each side of the political spectrum either wants the vacant seat filled on their terms. That is some one it filled before the election , some do not.

We have a serious problem in this country today promoted by today's Democratic Party in that they want and need legislation from the bench to enact their leftwing agenda and fundamentally change this country. There is no question that the Constitution does not give the President the power to create laws which he did through his executive order. The four Justices that voted with Obama are leftwing advocates and if you want the Supreme Court to legislate from the bench then vote for Hillary

Never ever said or suggested that........Please do not try to put your words in my mouth

Never ever said or suggested that........Please do not try to put your words in my mouth

then why do you have a problem with what the Court ended up doing since Obama did exactly as has been stated here? Do you believe Obama had that authority and by what means?

please go read your own post.

The NY Times pointed out in an article today that of 10 decisions since the death of Scalias only 2 were 4-4 ties. I don't know offhand if that represents all the cases the court decided but assume it is.

I also remember reading somewhere that while the number of 5-4 decisions has gone it's till only about a third of all cases the court hears. It just so happens that those tend to be the most contentious and "political" cases. I also remember seeing a graphic - again in the Times - that showed that even the most far right (Scalia) and far left (Ginsburg) tended vote a closer to politically neutral than you might expect. Scalia voted against his conservative bent something like 45% of time and Ginsburg against her liberal leanings about 40% of the time.

That's not to say that politics doesn't play into it - the justices are human and politics is inherent in human nature, but I don't think it's as bad as many people assume

Back
Top Bottom