• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Blocks Obama Immigration Plan[W:138]

Re: Supreme Court Blocks Obama Immigration Plan

which is irrelevant because that isn't what he did. why are you making up red herring arguments?

I said as much - that Obama was making law. My statement regarding enforcement is in response to this statement of your's:

so you think the president should have the ability to ignore the constitution and the laws of the land?
umm yea that is exactly why the constitution exists to stop that from happening.

which I read as you stating the President's hands were tied with respect to enforcing law, not making law. Which is clearly not the case.

If I read you wrong you have my apologies.

I said as much - that Obama was making law. My statement regarding enforcement is in response to this statement of your's:

which I read as you stating the President's hands were tied with respect to enforcing law, not making law. Which is clearly not the case.

If I read you wrong you have my apologies.

His hands are tied to the law. it is his oath of office to execute the laws of the land as written.
if he doesn't like a law then he can try to change it via the congressional process.

he simply can't take out a pen and issue an EO changing the law, and right now he is crying
about it on national TV like he always does when he can't have his way.

Protesting is not against the First Amendment. Are you actually that thick, or are you just upset that they won't worship your Messiah?

I'm talking to the thick one . The Constitution backs me up , liberals are the ones trying to deny it exists .

“If you think that you are living in a stupid country, you can be sure that you are being governed by the most stupid people!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan

Supreme Court blocks Obama immigration plan | Fox News

The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Obama’s immigration executive actions, in a tie decision that delivers a win to states challenging his plan to give a deportation reprieve to millions of illegal immigrants.

The justices' one-sentence opinion on Thursday effectively kills the plan for the duration of Obama's presidency.

The 4-4 tie vote sets no national precedent but leaves in place the ruling by the lower court. In this case, the federal appeals court in New Orleans said the Obama administration lacked the authority to shield up to 4 million immigrants from deportation and make them eligible for work permits without approval from Congress.

The SCOTUS left in please a lower court ruling that stated Obama overstepped his authority again with his EO on immigration.

I had MSNBC on a few hours ago when this broke. Fascinating. What were the 4 idiots who believed Obama had the right to do what he did thinking?

Back to the lower courts now, which means Obama is finished with this issue. This was a huge blow to him, I'm sure. And a well deserved blow. He doesn't seem to remember that we have a Constitution, and why.

Oh woopy…….now the Donald if elected can deport kids to countries they have never lived or know about………

…….. And possibly cannot speak the language……

This should make many unchristian and heartless folks feel good about themselves…….

Wut the hell do "the Donald" and Christians have to do with this?

Do you dream of "the Donald" at night? I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone not only start the amount of threads you do about him, but bring him into threads that have nothing to do with him. Take a breath, imyoda. You appear to be obsessed with the man.

Any executive - be it the President, a Governor, mayor has significant latitude in setting LE priorities if for no other reason than that they don't have unlimited money and manpower. I think you would find that trying to vigorously enforce every single law on the books would bankrupt the country.

It went beyond that though, Obama didn't just set enforcement priorities, they also tried to grant visas, in excess of the number of visas and work permits set by law.

this is not like a policeman deciding not to pull over a speeder, this is closer to if a policeman pulls over a speeder and hands him papers authorizing him/her to continue to speed.

Don't worry, liberals...this ruling won't affect Obama in the slightest other than tossing his EA in the trash where it belongs.

President Obama said most illegal immigrants still won’t be deported, even after the Supreme Court’s tie ruling Thursday upheld an injunction on his broader deportation amnesty.

Mr. Obama rushed to assure illegal immigrants with ties to the U.S. that they are “low priorities,” even though they will not be able to get the work permits and taxpayer benefits his “deferred action” program had promised.

Obama: Most illegals still won't be deported - Washington Times

This should come as no surprise to anyone, since Obama has shown us time and again over the last 8 years that he doesn't care about the laws of the land.

Obama's take on SCOTUS's rulings regarding this, and the SCOTUS ruling regarding allowing UT to discriminate against whites.

run off to your safe space and cry it out... you'll be ok eventually

Did my post stump you......

So all you can muster of the issue is personal attack?

Since it was an executive order and not a law passed by congress, the ruling has no bearing on what Trump could or could not do if elected.

True.......But so what?

True.......But so what?
You disingenuously tried to imply that this ruling somehow opened the door for Trump to "deport illegal children" if elected. That door was always wide open.

This ruling does nothing else but slap the President's pee pee for over reaching. It has no impact beyond that.

The NY Times pointed out in an article today that of 10 decisions since the death of Scalias only 2 were 4-4 ties. I don't know offhand if that represents all the cases the court decided but assume it is.

I also remember reading somewhere that while the number of 5-4 decisions has gone it's till only about a third of all cases the court hears. It just so happens that those tend to be the most contentious and "political" cases. I also remember seeing a graphic - again in the Times - that showed that even the most far right (Scalia) and far left (Ginsburg) tended vote a closer to politically neutral than you might expect. Scalia voted against his conservative bent something like 45% of time and Ginsburg against her liberal leanings about 40% of the time.

That's not to say that politics doesn't play into it - the justices are human and politics is inherent in human nature, but I don't think it's as bad as many people assume

My point stands is there should be no "politics" in decisions by the SC. I agree the justices are human. Justice should be blind. That is take out the emotional and politics. Allowing for different political leans is what is getting us into trouble.

For me it is interesting when a panel of judges can read the law and not come to the same conclusion on if the law is supported by the Constitution or not.

Least their parents and sibling will go with them

Plus they be be first in line to return.

They will never be deported....... they are the last on the list of priorities to deport......and the expense to deport some 11 million people is in the hundreds of billons.......And would require a tax increase.....and we all know all those who want them folks out of the USA would change their minds and come to love their Latino family next door

Oh woopy…….now the Donald if elected can deport kids to countries they have never lived or know about………

This should make many unchristian and heartless folks feel good about themselves…….

"Oh the humanity!!!!" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously??? This isn't about a handful of kids who MAY get deported, this about MILLIONS of people who are here in knowing and intentional violation of our laws.

They will never be deported....... they are the last on the list of priorities to deport......and the expense to deport some 11 million people is in the hundreds of billons.......And would require a tax increase.....and we all know all those who want them folks out of the USA would change their minds and come to love their Latino family next door

Or Congress could just redirects some funds from a variety of sources. Good start would be Foreign aid, some social welfare programs, etc. Therefore , no tax increase.

I don't think highly of any of the 4...I think they are all very intelligent, but their decisions are mostly based on what the Democratic party wants, rather than what the Constitution says is permissible.

"Party over nation!!" has become the rallying cry of the Dem. Party.

1. With Obama as President...or if Hillary is elected...you are correct that illegal aliens will never be deported. If Trump is elected, though, you are wrong. You see, Obama and Hillary have their lists...Trump has our laws.

2. Enforcing our laws won't cost any extra money...it only requires our will to do it. No tax increases required. Heck, if we enforced our laws, millions of those illegal aliens will self-deport and won't cost us a dime.

Nope the President can't change laws and he can't enact them - which is really what Obama was doing the with EO's in question. But the President would be completely within his rights to say "because of terrorism enforcing immigration laws against the middle east is much more important than enforcing immigration laws against mexicans and so that's where we're going to spend out ICE money this year."

So would you be OK with a President deciding that we aren't going to spend any money pursuing civil rights violations, since that money could be better spent on stopping meth production??

then why do you have a problem with what the Court ended up doing since Obama did exactly as has been stated here? Do you believe Obama had that authority and by what means?

Where did I ever say I had "problems with the SCOTUS?...........I am a "rule of law" man and love our legal system...........And since I am a loyal American and defender of the Constitution.........I am bound and believe as stated/required/implied in th Constitution have the responsibility to support/defend/act within the law as interpreted by SCOTUS........even if I may not agree.........

President Obama as President has broad and sweeping powers...........of which the RW seems to thing many are unconstitutional..........

(But I am confident if a Republican President were in office today whiners would think differently)

Where did I ever say I had "problems with the SCOTUS?...........I am a "rule of law" man and love our legal system...........And since I am a loyal American and defender of the Constitution.........I am bound and believe as stated/required/implied in th Constitution have the responsibility to support/defend/act within the law as interpreted by SCOTUS........even if I may not agree.........

President Obama as President has broad and sweeping powers...........of which the RW seems to thing many are unconstitutional..........

(But I am confident if a Republican President were in office today whiners would think differently)

So you won't answer the question, does the President have the authority to ignore the immigration laws of the land which is what he is doing with his EO? How can any SC Justice side with Obama on this issue?

As for the Rightwing whining that is simply your opinion. The laws are specific which you want to ignore

please go read your own post.

I have.......I love the law........believe in the rule of law.......and have the responsibility/duty to follow same as interpreted by SCOTUS..........Is that clear enough for ya?

Wut the hell do "the Donald" and Christians have to do with this?

Do you dream of "the Donald" at night? I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone not only start the amount of threads you do about him, but bring him into threads that have nothing to do with him. Take a breath, imyoda. You appear to be obsessed with the man.

Post on subject or get lost..........Your snide comments are nor welcome or appreciated..........Unless you have something to say on the subject.............get lost

I have.......I love the law........believe in the rule of law.......and have the responsibility/duty to follow same as interpreted by SCOTUS..........Is that clear enough for ya?
If so then stop lying about the law.

Not one thing you said in that characterization of this decision is true. Not. One. Thing.

It went beyond that though, Obama didn't just set enforcement priorities, they also tried to grant visas, in excess of the number of visas and work permits set by law.

this is not like a policeman deciding not to pull over a speeder, this is closer to if a policeman pulls over a speeder and hands him papers authorizing him/her to continue to speed.

I agree. I was speaking strictly about enforcement priorities because that's what I thought the poster I was replying was referencing.

Back
Top Bottom