• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Suppose you needed a lawyer

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Imagine you find yourself in a situation where you need the services of a criminal defense attorney (I know, you’re innocent), but one who best meets your needs last defended someone (successfully) involved in the January 6th riot/insurrection.

Do you hire them? Why or why not?

That one part alone wouldn't be a sole factor in making that decision and I don't know why you think it would be.

Imagine you find yourself in a situation where you need the services of a criminal defense attorney (I know, you’re innocent), but one who best meets your needs last defended someone (successfully) involved in the January 6th riot/insurrection.

The implication with this question is that a CDL either agrees with his clients actions or is somehow tainted because he defends distasteful people or outright monsters.

Both are silly.

Everyone, no matter how vile, deserves representation. The system falls apart without it. So be thankful there are people who will defend people that the rest of would have nothing to do with.

I’d hire the best person I could find and afford. Who he represented in the past is not relevant - though how well he defended them obviously matters.

I'd ask one question: Were they successful in their defense?

If the Yes's outweigh the No's then yes I'd likely hire them.

The implication with this question is that a CDL either agrees with his clients actions or is somehow tainted because he defends distasteful people or outright monsters.

Both are silly.

Everyone, no matter how vile, deserves representation. The system falls apart without it. So be thankful there are people who will defend people that the rest of would have nothing to do with.

I’d hire the best person I could find and afford. Who he represented in the past is not relevant - though how well he defended them obviously matters.
There was on implication that either the client or the attorney are somehow tainted. I was just curious if someone who had strong feelings about January 6th would hire a lawyer who had successfully defended someone involved in the riot. In other words, would the client’s political views impact their decision on who to hire to defend them in the legal system.

That one part alone wouldn't be a sole factor in making that decision and I don't know why you think it would be.
It wouldn’t be for me either. I don’t know that others would have the same answer, hence the question.

That doesn't really seem like a factor for me at all

I mean I guess I could invent a scenario where I personally knew a person was guilty of some heinous crime and if the lawyer got them off or took the case knowing such it could affect me but we are probably talking fantasy not reality

I mean for a fantasy example if I was a lawyer "I" personally couldn't take the case of an accused pedophile who was found to be on video raping and abusing kids BUT the case is winnable because of maybe a very very weak chain of custody argument of the tapes or questionable search/discovery of said tapes.

And I might have an issue with using anybody that did so . . .but again that's fantasy geared to inspired me to say how taking a case might matter

there were tons of people there on jan 6, some protestors, some riots some vile terrorist insurrectionists . . . they all deserve defense that's how the legal system works and they are individuals with individual charges

Absolutely, I’d hire them. You don’t hire an attorney because you share any of their viewpoints, you hire an attorney because you believe they can best help you in your own case.

of course i would
there is no reason not to

except for joe
joe is the smartest attorney i know
as he has been for the past 40+ years

so, i would do what i always do when requiring the services of a lawyer, hire joe

As an attorney myself, my recommendation mirrors that previously posted: hire the best attorney you can afford. Very few really give a shit about your politics. It's not their job.
And I hold no ill opinions against most attorneys who successfully defend a client that actually was guilty of the crime. It really does 't happen that oftent and it's the way our system works.

As an attorney myself, my recommendation mirrors that previously posted: hire the best attorney you can afford. Very few really give a shit about your politics. It's not their job.
And I hold no ill opinions against most attorneys who successfully defend a client that actually was guilty of the crime. It really does 't happen that oftent and it's the way our system works.
It wasn’t really about if the attorney cared about the client’s politics, but if the client would hire an attorney who had successfully defended someone the client detested.

Absolutely if their defense was successful. Do you have a lawyer to recommend should I need one.

Sure. That would indicate that they are probably pretty damned good at their job.

Why would I care about the politics of an attorney? If i need one I want a good one who can help me in my quest.

The Constitution gives every American the right to an attorney, no matter how vile that American is. Defending an anti-American piece of shit like the 1/6 idiots doesn't mean the attorney agrees with his actions.

If he was successful defending one of them I'd probably be more inclined to hire him.

It wasn’t really about if the attorney cared about the client’s politics, but if the client would hire an attorney who had successfully defended someone the client detested.
OK, but that really isn't much of a distinction to me.
And frankly, I'd care more about the thoughts/beliefs/politics of the attorney than I would of the beliefs of someone they defended.
30 years ago, I would not have hired any of OJ's "dream team" not because I loathed OJ and knew he was guilty, but because his attorneys were douchebags.

This is so simplistic on its face that I'm immediately suspicious that you're leaving important context out.

This is so simplistic on its face that I'm immediately suspicious that you're leaving important context out.
None I’m aware of. I thought it was a fairly simple question. What else do you think might be behind it?

Back
Top Bottom