• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Suppose It Was Revealed To Mankind There Is In Fact An After Life, What Then?

That quote says that John was written in the 80's or 90's, and that it was the last of the gospels. So the other gospels had to have been written before then. Why do you say that those wouldn't have been based on an eyewitness of Christ?

I dunno, that's what it said in the source I found and quoted.

Just when the gospels were written is a matter of much speculation and research. Here is a site that explores the issue, and makes a strong argument that they were written prior to the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in 70 AD. Further, it says that John, but not Matthew, Mark, or Luke, was an eye witness to the ministry of Christ.

Obviously? Try using that in a court of law.

Wrong...Maybe you shouldn't be so scared to actually do some research on this topic...

I have. They were written within a generation of the death and resurrection of Jesus.

Just because the counter to this has to be done.

Pretty much the same situation. Something reveals, complete with irrefutable proof that we can verify, that an afterlife exists. Now we don't get the details, such as whether Heaven and Hell are separate destinations or it's more like Hades's realm or it's the Summerlands. Nor are we given any details as to whether or not there is a supreme being or what it's nature is. Simply revealed that when you terminate this mortal form, your move on to another form/life afterwards.

I think I can sue you for plagiarism.

Just because the counter to this has to be done.

Pretty much the same situation. Something reveals, complete with irrefutable proof that we can verify, that an afterlife exists. Now we don't get the details, such as whether Heaven and Hell are separate destinations or it's more like Hades's realm or it's the Summerlands. Nor are we given any details as to whether or not there is a supreme being or what it's nature is. Simply revealed that when you terminate this mortal form, your move on to another form/life afterwards.

Ok, so in this mind teaser, i have scientific proof that there IS an afterlife.. but no more disclosure as to what that will look like. It does not come with any additional information on religious beliefs vs. non-beliefs. I call this then a completely spiritual decision as to "what then"?

Now, i am not very anxious in reality either, expecting the nullification of my existence as the only possible outcome of death. And with no scientific proof that this is a proper assumption either.
So in reality, i assume there will be nothingness, which i will not know about, due to the fact that i will not exist anymore as an entity capable of experiencing "anything". My assumption can be wrong.
In the given hypothetical scenario, i'd assume there will be something, without knowing what that will be like. Pretty much the same. Neither scenario makes me want to think about "then" while i'm here IN my life experience right now.

And even IF i'd knew WHAT there would be in the afterlife... limited time, or endless time... would not make me want to experience it anytime sooner than i have to... it's there, so why would i need to rush to it, or think about what it will be like right now. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom