• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Supermoon' on Saturday night

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Full and at it's yearly perigee, the moon will appear app 14% larger and 30% brighter, actually Saturday night into Sunday morning 7AM.
May also lead to slightly more extreme tides than usual.

supermoon-manhattan.jpg

Extreme Supermoon Saturday: Best Places for Viewing
Don't Fear the Supermoon, NASA Says | Biggest Full Moon 2013 | Space.com
Supermoon rises in weekend night sky - CBS News
Supermoon To Dominate Weekend Sky : The Two-Way : NPR
Supermoon Science: What Is A Supermoon Anyway? (PHOTOS)

Last edited:
Yeah the last time they had a hyped up super moon I wanted to sue somebody for false advertising.........

I'll be watching, only 10-30% cloud cover tonight. :)

I wonder if that's why the cat has been so feisty lately?!? :2razz:

Last edited:
Reminder: It's Tonight.

Not noticeably bigger than a normal full moon, unfortunately.
Supermoon: Big bright Moon but no more than usual
Yeah the last time they had a hyped up super moon I wanted to sue somebody for false advertising.........
Science is about curiousity and investigating it... would't y'all say?
Supermoon vs average vs micromoon.

Wiki. 'supermoon'
The Supermoon of March 19, 2011 (right) compared to a more Average moon of December 20, 2010 (left), as viewed from Earth.
Supermoon_comparison.jpg

APOD:
APOD: 2012 November 29 - Super Moon vs Micro Moon
With Perigee/Super moon vs Apogee/Micro moon

supermicromoon_paduraru.jpg

Explanation: Did you see the big, bright, beautiful Full Moon Wednesday night? That was actually a Micro Moon! On that night, the smallest Full Moon of 2012 reached its full phase only about 4 hours before apogee, the most distant point from Earth in the Moon's elliptical orbit. Of course, earlier this year on May 6, a Full Super Moon was near perigee, the closest point in its orbit. The relative apparent size of November 28's Micro Moon (right) is compared to the famous May 6 Super Moon in these two panels, matching telescopic images from Bucharest, Romania. The difference in apparent size represents a difference in distance of just under 50,000 kilometers between apogee and perigee, given the Moon's average distance of about 385,000 kilometers. How long do you have to wait to see another Full Micro Moon? Until January 16, 2014, when the lunar full phase will occur within about 3 hours of apogee.

Last edited:
Science is about curiousity and investigating it... would't y'all say?

What is there to investigate? The moon appears bigger. I assume it seemed even bigger than the supermoon when we were landing on it :fly:

As someone who walks his dog every morning around 4:30am - she likes to run on her own in the dark - I can attest that the moon does take various shapes and sizes throughout the year and it's really quite remarkable the differences. I was shocked the first time I saw this gigantic moon over the houses, looking so close and practically as big as the houses, filling a large part of the sky.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of cloud cover here in Toronto today and for the next day or so - not expecting to see much of the moon tomorrow morning, but hope I'm wrong.

Next time with Tripod, especially for telephoto.
These exposures, at roughly 1x-2x, are 1+ second plus and difficult to hold steady even braced.
12x ++ showing moon are un-postable.
The second with Helicopter trail across center left over horizon which demonstrates how long shutter is open.
These are midtown Manhattan looking east over East River from 40 stories.

moon 015.jpg

-

moon 029.jpg

Last edited:
Still cloudy here. Hoping that it clears up enough to see it.

:shrug: I didn't see a difference between last nights moon and any other full moon. I didn't even know it was meant to be a supermoon until I read this thread.

Back
Top Bottom