• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Super Battery

OMG! This wasn't supposed to be possible. Anyway, enough about Republican faith in American ingenuity. This is freakin' awesome. I haven't have time to check it out but all things being equal, this same battery in a Nissan Leaf would allow recharging the battery from empty to full in minutes if not seconds instead of hours. I wonder what the travel range on this battery would be. North Western University's new battery being tweaked now will have a 1,000 mile range in a compact car, which is twice as good as a gasoline tank.

PLEASE, somebody in Washington give this group a federal grant immediately even its just $1. That's sadly the only way we can insure deep pocket petroleum interests from buying out the patent rights and shelving it for decades declaring it "not ready yet" so they can maintain oil's oligopoly unless they go to jail. Also, somebody else start bombarding the news media with press releases and calls to editors on this.

Last edited:
OMG! This wasn't supposed to be possible. Anyway, enough about Republican faith in American ingenuity. This is freakin' awesome. I haven't have time to check it out but all things being equal, this same battery in a Nissan Leaf would allow recharging the battery from empty to full in minutes if not seconds instead of hours. I wonder what the travel range on this battery would be. North Western University's new battery being tweaked now will have a 1,000 mile range in a compact car, which is twice as good as a gasoline tank.

PLEASE, somebody in Washington give this group a federal grant immediately even its just $1. That's sadly the only way we can insure deep pocket petroleum interests from buying out the patent rights and shelving it for decades declaring it "not ready yet" so they can maintain oil's oligopoly unless they go to jail. Also, somebody else start bombarding the news media with press releases and calls to editors on this.

My phone could last more than an hour :shock:

Cool stuff. I've recently run across a 1946 Willys Jeep (don't know if it was actually a military model yet) with a blown engine. I was toying with the idea of buying it and making it electric. I was thinking replace the engine with a DC drive motor and put a Prius battery in the back. My shop is 12 miles from home. It would essentially be a lightweight really cool plug in electric vehicle.

The structure looks a lot like the inside of a catalytic converter. The grids in a converter are coated with a rough finish of precious and semi precious metals that increases the total area to about the size of a football field. These coatings are the reason converters are so expensive. They contain platinum and selenium among others.

This is real exciting stuff but being a big green nerd for years now, I have to be a big skeptic after reading story after story about revolutionary batteries then to never hear about them again. I hope this takes off and does well but I'm not pinning my hopes to news of great battery technology anymore until I see some results as big as the stories say.

Cool stuff. I've recently run across a 1946 Willys Jeep (don't know if it was actually a military model yet) with a blown engine. I was toying with the idea of buying it and making it electric. I was thinking replace the engine with a DC drive motor and put a Prius battery in the back. My shop is 12 miles from home. It would essentially be a lightweight really cool plug in electric vehicle.

Ideally... because it'd probably be crazy expensive, you could do In wheel motors or hub motors. This would leave any space avaible to be battery space because the motors are in the wheels while giving you all wheel drive and you could also reduce the vehical's weight by dropping the then unneeded 4 wheel drivetrain.

I'm cautious, but it's difficult not to "squeeeeeeeee!!!" about something that could totally revolutionize our world. Fingers crossed that this turns out to be as awesome as it promises!

There's still the matter of reliable mass manufacture which is a tricky thing with these batteries (they're easy to brick or even worse could explode). It a breakthrough tech to be sure, but it's not to the useful stage yet.

Those are mirages. I have known several people be lured in by the Siren's call only to invest a fortune and end up finding someone else to cut their losses and take it off their hands.

Those are mirages. I have known several people be lured in by the Siren's call only to invest a fortune and end up finding someone else to cut their losses and take it off their hands.

I live in the north Georgia mountains. If it gets out of hand I could always throw a small block in it, it would be gone tomorrow. It doesn't hurt that I own an auto repair shop.

I live in the north Georgia mountains. If it gets out of hand I could always throw a small block in it, it would be gone tomorrow. It doesn't hurt that I own an auto repair shop.

This guy from my marine unit bought one and dropped a 350 in it and lowered it for stability. Had some nice rims and thick tires. I was jealous.

My dad owned one before I was born. He used to have a farm on a mountain top where the roads washed out too often to fool with maintaining them. He said it was the only thing he could find to get him up and down the mountain. I've known maybe 4 or 5 people who found some variation of one. The most recent one was an autobody student who tinkered with mechanics. I think his issue that caused him to give up had something to do with linking up the transmission but I forget the details. If I could find a restored one I would probably give it a serious look.

This is real exciting stuff but being a big green nerd for years now, I have to be a big skeptic after reading story after story about revolutionary batteries then to never hear about them again. I hope this takes off and does well but I'm not pinning my hopes to news of great battery technology anymore until I see some results as big as the stories say.

Personally, I'm more concerned with range per recharge than charging time. The exciting thing is all kinds of research is going on all over the country in attribute to the fact the cars take the volt, leaf, tesla, etc. are on the roads placing demand on innovation.

Personally, I'm more concerned with range per recharge than charging time. The exciting thing is all kinds of research is going on all over the country in attribute to the fact the cars take the volt, leaf, tesla, etc. are on the roads placing demand on innovation.

Same here. The corner has been turned. There are all sorts of nay sayers out there but the increase of electrical input into vehicles has turned a corner that we will not go back from. There are all electric vehicles out there like the Leaf and Tesla cars. Then there are PHEV (plug-in Hybrid Electrical Vehciles) like the Chevy Volt and ford Fusion and Escape. Then there are the electrical assists or start stop technology where the car doesn't run when it is at a full stop. This includes Buicks and BMW's... We are on a path that we won't ever go backwards on. I'm all about the path we are on and I can't wait for the techonology to expand well in that direction.

This guy from my marine unit bought one and dropped a 350 in it and lowered it for stability. Had some nice rims and thick tires. I was jealous.

You've spent some time in this area, have you ever been in Helen during Shriner's week? Those people have got some strange rides.

You've spent some time in this area, have you ever been in Helen during Shriner's week? Those people have got some strange rides.

The only time I've ever been in Helen was my last trip a couple years ago you know about.

The only time I've ever been in Helen was my last trip a couple years ago you know about.

A quick web search should be entertaining. They are here every year. The locals love them. They reserve their rooms for the following year when they are checking out.

A quick web search should be entertaining. They are here every year. The locals love them. They reserve their rooms for the following year when they are checking out.

This guy down the street from me has a parked 1962 Ford Ranchero needing a little TLC that I keep fantasizing about making electric with a custom hard bed cover hiding an array of batteries.

*edit... like this bed cover. Not a fan of the white color though.

22124390016_medium.jpg

Here's another cool hard cover pic.

rancherocover.jpg

Last edited:
My primary concern with super batteries is safety. What kind of toxic crap is in them, how do we contain that crap in a wreck, and will the things explode and burn people alive.

My primary concern with super batteries is safety. What kind of toxic crap is in them, how do we contain that crap in a wreck, and will the things explode and burn people alive.

It's a battery, not a Pinto.

speaking of cars exploding from being hit from behind... I went to a shop down in Phoenix when I lived there where this guy was constantly flipping cars to electric. He had an old Fiero that was cool.

Same here. The corner has been turned. There are all sorts of nay sayers out there but the increase of electrical input into vehicles has turned a corner that we will not go back from. There are all electric vehicles out there like the Leaf and Tesla cars. Then there are PHEV (plug-in Hybrid Electrical Vehciles) like the Chevy Volt and ford Fusion and Escape. Then there are the electrical assists or start stop technology where the car doesn't run when it is at a full stop. This includes Buicks and BMW's... We are on a path that we won't ever go backwards on. I'm all about the path we are on and I can't wait for the techonology to expand well in that direction.

But what if this causes middle-eastern based terrorism and nuclear proliferation to go broke and ends dictator control of the US economy...I mean causes the US economy to collapse by the intential spread of communism on US soil through all this stupidity? We have to think this stuff through my friend. Stop technological advancement baby stop.

Combine this with an advances in solar panel power creation and we could have the final answer for green power generation...permanently. I see these batteries as a possible solution to the problem of storage of energy from climactic condition restricted sources (wind and solar etc.)

Cost to me would be the biggest hurdle.

Back
Top Bottom