• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Summer Brain Drain

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Not only do I think kids lose a lot of what they learned the past year over the summer months, but I can testify that teachers get "brain drain" too. At least I do. Every time another year begins, I have to train my brain to get back in the mode of going to work everyday. I usually forget most of the great ideas I had from the past year because I haven't been thinking about it at all for 2 months now. I think it would serve everyone well if we had year-round school...or at least a much shorter summer break.

Not only do I think kids lose a lot of what they learned the past year over the summer months, but I can testify that teachers get "brain drain" too. At least I do. Every time another year begins, I have to train my brain to get back in the mode of going to work everyday. I usually forget most of the great ideas I had from the past year because I haven't been thinking about it at all for 2 months now. I think it would serve everyone well if we had year-round school...or at least a much shorter summer break.
Good God Josie are you trying to ruin kids lives and destroy family memories? Summer is when kids get to be kids, they have the rest of their lives to bust ass making a living and family summer vacations to Yellowstone or wherever is the glue that binds.

Good God Josie are you trying to ruin kids lives and destroy family memories? Summer is when kids get to be kids, they have the rest of their lives to bust ass making a living and family summer vacations to Yellowstone or wherever is the glue that binds.

I agree, summer vacations didn't hurt my education, and it greatly expanded my love for baseball. And just by following the history of baseball, you actually get the history of the nation. It's great!

Why does that take 3 months out of the year?

:lol: :doh I've worked with some folks that need to be retrained after a lunch break. :roll:

Why does that take 3 months out of the year?

3 is about right IMO. It is great weather when kids can get outside and play and families can go on vacation. I think you can push kids too hard and giving them summers off to just be kids is a great thing. I used to feel sorry for kids that went to summer school and they never seemed real happy, probably most of them ended up being serial killers or at least wife beaters.:lol:

Did your family take a 3 month vacation?

I think one month is sufficient.

Although, that means that more money would have to go into teacher salaries since they'd be working 11 months instead of 9.

I support year round schools that have longer winter and shorter summer breaks. The brain drain is part of it, but also a lot of kids could benefit from not being at home unattended and/or poorly fed.cared for. In reality, the model was based largely on having kids be able to work on the family farms during the growing seasons. While it is not as drastic as it once was, in my area the rural county schools went back a month later than the city schools because of the need for folks in the county to finish up the tobacco season. With AC in schools, there really is no reason not to have year round school in most places these days.

I think one month is sufficient.

Although, that means that more money would have to go into teacher salaries since they'd be working 11 months instead of 9.

No it really doesn't. It just means teachers would have to work for their money year round like most folks do :2wave:

No it really doesn't. It just means teachers would have to work for their money year round like most folks do :2wave:

We do. We work for 9 months and get paid for 9 months. :)

You're gonna learn to read and write, dammit! *snaps whip*

My mom worked when I was very young and I was in nursery school early so she wanted to have me skip kindergarten but the only school that would let me start 1st grade early was the Catholic school. Those nuns were mean, they hit my fingers with rulers and paddled me in the front of the class room. You're Catholic huh.:lol:

My mom worked when I was very young and I was in nursery school early so she wanted to have me skip kindergarten but the only school that would let me start 1st grade early was the Catholic school. Those nuns were mean, they hit my fingers with rulers and paddled me in the front of the class room. You're Catholic huh.:lol:

LOL! No, not at all.

We do. We work for 9 months and get paid for 9 months. :)

Then we should replace you with people who are willing to work 11 months and get paid for 9 months. That is how salaries work.

My wife gets paid year around....

Yes, I do too. I get paid for 9 months of working, but I choose to spread it out my paychecks to 12 months so I'll have income in the summer.

Yes, I do too. I get paid for 9 months of working, but I choose to spread it out my paychecks to 12 months so I'll have income in the summer.

Ok I misread your statement. You mean you would get paid more if school went all year.

Then we should replace you with people who are willing to work 11 months and get paid for 9 months. That is how salaries work.

Oh, I would work the extra 2 months on my current salary. I'm just saying that the unions and such would be asking for more money.

Ok I misread your statement. You mean you would get paid more if school went all year.

Yes. The unions would ask for raises in salary since teachers would be working 2 more months.

Oh, I would work the extra 2 months on my current salary. I'm just saying that the unions and such would be asking for more money.

I am aware, but they are the same people who also think their high for even an annual salary for 9 months work in civil service is practically slavery because they should be treated like doctors and lawyers.

Back
Top Bottom