• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Suicide terrorism is mainly a response to occupation, not Islamic fundamentalism.

Furthermore It Aint Got **** To Do With Isreal.

It Was About Us Occupying Their Holly Land In Saudi Arabia With An Air Force Base. Period.

robin said:
July 18, 2005 Issue
Copyright © 2005 The American Conservative

The Logic of Suicide Terrorism

It’s the occupation, not the fundamentalism

Last month, Scott McConnell caught up with Associate Professor Robert Pape of the University of Chicago, whose book on suicide terrorism, Dying to Win, is beginning to receive wide notice. Pape has found that the most common American perceptions about who the terrorists are and what motivates them are off by a wide margin. In his office is the world’s largest database of information about suicide terrorists, rows and rows of manila folders containing articles and biographical snippets in dozens of languages compiled by Pape and teams of graduate students, a trove of data that has been sorted and analyzed and which underscores the great need for reappraising the Bush administration’s current strategy. Below are excerpts from a conversation with the man who knows more about suicide terrorists than any other American.

The American Conservative: Your new book, Dying to Win, has a subtitle: The Logic of Suicide Terrorism. Can you just tell us generally on what the book is based, what kind of research went into it, and what your findings were?

(Snip)

http://www.amconmag.com/2005_07_18/article.html

C'mon! The reasons for terrorism are as diverse as the people who commit terrorist acts...suicide or not. Terrorists target civilians in order to gain publicity.

The cannon fodder used for suicide bombings are brainwashed by fundamentalist clerics since early childhood...much the same as are cult members in the west. They are advertised as future martyrs in the local community where they live and treated as heroes, making it much more difficult for "second thoughts". They are compromised. Their families are compromised.

Self-illusions of grandeur are common in the mentally disturbed, criminally insane and fanatical or religious terrorists. When illusions of grandeur and religious fanaticism effect small groups of people in leadership positions, it is easier to understand how the Nazi's were able to engineer and implement the Holocaust.

Youve Got To Be Kidding! said:
Furthermore It Aint Got **** To Do With Isreal.

It Was About Us Occupying Their Holly Land In Saudi Arabia With An Air Force Base. Period.

Here's the problem with your assertion...The leadership of that country gave us the green light to be there...I don't know if WE asked to be there or THEY asked us to be there, but we are there under a mutual agreement between the leaderships of the two countries...and I wound hardly call that "occupying"...

Imagine if the US asked another country(say China) to bring some military over here and set up shop on Independance Mall(Less than 10 miles from me).
Would the general population think its wrong? Absolutely...Stupid?...Absolutely...

Would people start going to China to blow up innocent civilians? Nope.

There are 5 bases in Saudi Arabia currently...they are...

Air Base: AB Eskan Village
URL: Just South of Riyadh

Air Base: AB King Abdul Aziz
ICAO / IATA: OEAZ / -

Air Base: AB King Fahd
ICAO / IATA: OETF / TIF

Air Base: AB King Khalid
ICAO / IATA: OEKM / KAI

Air Base: AB Riyadh
ICAO / IATA: - / XWM

Not ONE of them in or near Mecca & Medina, the two holy cities of Islam...If you would like to argue that ALL of Saudi Arabia is considered "Holy Land", then you are playing into the ideology that the religious zealots are the ones that dictate Saudi Arabia's foreign policy, not the current leadership.

Congrats...If one of them is reading this right now, they're calling to Abdul in the next room; "Hey Abdul!...We got another one!"

I love this guy:yt

Thats one less thread I have to worry about becasue he basically sumed up everyhting I wouldhave said.

Bloody hell, get over it. Terrorists are dickhats. Victim-blaming only makes you look like a twat.

"Rape is mainly a response to provocative behaviour!"

Surely you agree? After all, it's the same sentiment.

:roll:

vergiss said:
Bloody hell, get over it. Terrorists are dickhats. Victim-blaming only makes you look like a twat.

Good analogy.

vergiss said:

I have absolutely no idea as to what post you are referring to.:confused:

Parmenion said:
Poor comparison.

It's blaming the victim for the actions of the perpetrator. Quite an apt comparison to anyone with an understanding of logic.

Cnredd - the thread and its title in general.

The victoms are 8 million displaced people thrown off land by the british to make room for non indeginous people. 4 decades of occupation and murder.

Thankfully the pullout has finally started. And with any luck will continue in the rest of the occupied territory.

A nation once again. They can finally start to rebuild.

Who gives a g.d. about why they do it? That's like rationalizing Hitler for doing what he did because of the unfair conditions of the Versailles treaty. I say if they want to meet Allah I'm gonna help umm with their goal. It's time to stop placating and making rationalizations for murders, tyrants, and despots. Bush said you're either with the U.S. or against the U.S. that go's especially for sympathizers and apeasers!

nefarious_plot said:
The victoms are 8 million displaced people thrown off land by the british to make room for non indeginous people. 4 decades of occupation and murder.

Thankfully the pullout has finally started. And with any luck will continue in the rest of the occupied territory.

A nation once again. They can finally start to rebuild.

Whinge whinge whinge. Does the term "share" mean anything to the Palestinians?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Who gives a g.d. about why they do it? That's like rationalizing Hitler for doing what he did because of the unfair conditions of the Versailles treaty. I say if they want to meet Allah I'm gonna help umm with their goal. It's time to stop placating and making rationalizations for murders, tyrants, and despots. Bush said you're either with the U.S. or against the U.S. that go's especially for sympathizers and apeasers!

bush also said he was going to conduct a crusade against these people. when the jewish nation declared a holy war/crusade against the germans in 1933, look what happened to them...

Parmenion said:
bush also said he was going to conduct a crusade against these people. when the jewish nation declared a holy war/crusade against the germans in 1933, look what happened to them...

The Jews don't wage jihads, you stupid fcukwit.

vergiss said:
The Jews don't wage jihads, you stupid fcukwit.

[moderator gavel]
This language is uncalled for and unwelcome in the regular forums.
Kindly take your flowery and childlike behavior to the correct forum - the basement.

This is a warning.

[/moderator gavel]

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:
vauge said:
[moderator gavel]
This language is uncalled for and unwelcome in the regular forums.
Kindly take your flowery and childlike behavior to the correct forum - the basement.

This is a warning.

[/moderator gavel]

Thank you for understanding.

Oh, come on. Why do I get warned, after what s/he said? I must disagree.

Unfortunatly, I have not read this entire thread. Your post was reported, because of the language, I agreed.

Shortly, will digest entire thread.

Please use the report post icon
report.gif
if you believe a post warrants moderation.

I already did.

Back
Top Bottom