• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Suggestion: Require links/support when someone makes a statement they are representing as fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

beancounter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Quite often, people start threads by making a statement they present as fact.

Predictably (and justifiably), people call them out, and ask for a source. Sometimes the OP provides one, but often they don't.

I suggest a new rule requiring sources/links that support a statement made by an OP, or anyone countering their statement (presuming they aren't obviously expressing an opinion)

This is a far more meaningful and important requirement for a debate forum, than to ding someone for neglecting to include a quote from a linked article in the breaking news forum.

Predictably (and justifiably), people call them out, and ask for a source. Sometimes the OP provides one, but often they don't.

I suggest a new rule requiring sources/links that support a statement made by an OP, or anyone countering their statement (presuming they aren't obviously expressing an opinion)

This is a far more meaningful and important requirement for a debate forum, than to ding someone for neglecting to include a quote from a linked article in the breaking news forum.

And far, far more work than any moderator would want to do, they would have dozens and dozens of reports on this rule alone---I don't think you are thinking it through.

Isn't that what rule #9 of the forum rules requires?

9. Sourced Material - All material being posted from outside of debatepolitics.com (external material) MUST contain a link to the original source. This applies to all external material, regardless if it is copyright protected or not.

In addition, a limitation of 2-3 medium-sized paragraphs per thread is allowed. Proper format is to Copy & Paste the text of the same-source material, place it inside the 'quote tags' and then offer a link to the material source page for further reading. The 'quote tags' are located in the post creation window (the tags look like a balloon from a cartoon).

Moderator discretion shall prevail here.

I will make you a deal: If you get us mods a salary, and a whole lot more of us, and we will consider your suggestion. Until then there is only so much time we have to spend here modding, and we use all of that time and more as things are. Your suggestion would create a ton more work, taking a ton more time. I appreciate your suggestion, and understand your frustration, but it is just not saleable.

Moderator's Warning:
Mods aren't fact checkers and we absolutely don't want to be either. No rule will be created to back up every assertion a poster makes. Thanks for the suggestion, but this one just isn't realistic without an army of moderators and that's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom