• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops

Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if layoffs go as planned.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers will no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, car wrecks, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Some 80 officers were to be let go at midnight last night if a last-minute deal was not reached. That's about ten percent of the work force.

That deadline has been extended to Tuesday morning with a possible council vote at 10:30 a.m.

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops | NBC Bay Area

Think he'll go through with it? :shock:

Of course not. This is just an attempt to force the budget through.

I agree. It is about money. But think about it, what a way to bully your way to what you want.

j-mac

Hey -- there's no crime in Oaktown!!!

Well, except for one little spot around 72nd and Bancroft where some unruly children sprayed a little graffiti.

I think they should fire his *** immediately.

In a situation where you have limited manpower and quite a bit of serious crime, prioritizing makes sense. I don't doubt that this is a political move for the budget, but Oakland police really have better things to do than respond to overly loud house parties in the hills.

This magnifies the importance of the second amendment.

When budgets get tight, you don't threaten to cut things that people don't care about. Threaten to cut the basics, fire, police, and schools top the list. That way, when you don't cut as much as you've threatened to, or when you cut something that fewer people are concerned about, the voters think you're a genius.

Is that a sanctuary city?

Hmmm....and a busted budget. Par for the course

looks like its time to get a conceal-carry license oaklandites

looks like its time to get a conceal-carry license oaklandites

Why get a license when there's no police there to enforce it anyway? As cities by the numbers tumble into debt, the wild west mentality is going to take over.

Everything.

Back
Top Bottom