• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sue, the world-famous T. rex, gets a new lair in Chicago

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-rex-gets-a-new-lair-in-chicago-idUSKBN1OH1WY

(Reuters) - Sue, the largest, most complete and best-preserved Tyrannosaurus rex ever unearthed, gets to show off its new lair this week at the Field Museum in Chicago.

The museum on Friday will unveil the 40-1/2-foot-long (12.3-meter) Sue, one of the world’s best-known dinosaur fossils, in the giant meat-eater’s new permanent exhibition space after 10 months of work moving and remounting the huge bones. Sue’s bones were mounted in a way that reflects new understanding about the species acquired over the past two decades.
==================================================
Awesome, beautiful specimen now has its own display space in Chicago's Field Museum. Worth a visit if you're in town.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-rex-gets-a-new-lair-in-chicago-idUSKBN1OH1WY

(Reuters) - Sue, the largest, most complete and best-preserved Tyrannosaurus rex ever unearthed, gets to show off its new lair this week at the Field Museum in Chicago.

The museum on Friday will unveil the 40-1/2-foot-long (12.3-meter) Sue, one of the world’s best-known dinosaur fossils, in the giant meat-eater’s new permanent exhibition space after 10 months of work moving and remounting the huge bones. Sue’s bones were mounted in a way that reflects new understanding about the species acquired over the past two decades.
==================================================
Awesome, beautiful specimen now has its own display space in Chicago's Field Museum. Worth a visit if you're in town.

Awesome. I wonder if the picture shows how T Rex walked? Seems like, with those little short front legs, it would have walked more upright.

Awesome. I wonder if the picture shows how T Rex walked? Seems like, with those little short front legs, it would have walked more upright.

I am not a bio mechanist by a long shot, but I can not see how T Rex would be able to keep its balance leaning over that much. Its tail is certainly does not have the mass to balance its body and head when leaning over that much considering where its hind legs are.

Again I am not an engineer so I am sure I am wrong but it just does not seem right

Sue will likely be shot before the beginning of next week. And not only that, but how come a bag of bones can find a parking spot in Chicago, but nobody living can?

The original mount in the American Museum of Natural History in NYC had the animal almost standing erect, balancing on its tail. More recent studies show the body more horizontal as shown in the Chicago mount.

Back
Top Bottom