• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Subforums For Those Who Share Political Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I would be surprised if this hasn't been suggested before, but one thing DP seems to be really missing are sub-forums for politically like-minded posters. I am talking about a sub-forum for conservatives, another for liberals, libertarians, radicals/anarchists, etc. It is great to go and debate people who always disagree, but sometimes it is also great to just talk politics and ideas with posters who share your beliefs. It is nice to share videos, articles, etc and have fruitful discussions without it degenerating into cheap shot political arguments and what-aboutisms. Obviously, these sub-forums would have to be invitation-only but I think this could be something that would be beneficial to the DP community.

I would be surprised if this hasn't been suggested before, but one thing DP seems to be really missing are sub-forums for politically like-minded posters. I am talking about a sub-forum for conservatives, another for liberals, libertarians, radicals/anarchists, etc. It is great to go and debate people who always disagree, but sometimes it is also great to just talk politics and ideas with posters who share your beliefs. It is nice to share videos, articles, etc and have fruitful discussions without it degenerating into cheap shot political arguments and what-aboutisms. Obviously, these sub-forums would have to be invitation-only but I think this could be something that would be beneficial to the DP community.

No.

This is an open forum. We don't need any secret areas just for "like-minded" people. You should always be prepared to defend your position from all who would comment about it.

However, I would like to see a reduction of the "cheap shot political arguments and what-aboutisms". Those infest every forum and are never conducive to useful discussion. But that could...and should...be handled by mod action. No need for new sub-forums.

Though this kind of exists to an extent with groups and the like, I think I'm generally in agreement with this being a good thing.

There's plenty of "echo chambers" out there on the net

No matter the format there will always be some disadvantages. Arguments degenerate into spats all the time here. If we had forums with only like minded posters, discussions would degenerate into agreement with no reality check from the other side.

I don’t think the invitation only thing would happen but this isn’t a bad idea.

I think it's a great idea, why not?

No.

This is an open forum. We don't need any secret areas just for "like-minded" people. You should always be prepared to defend your position from all who would comment about it.

I never said anything about taking away the other subforums for debate. :roll:

There's plenty of "echo chambers" out there on the net

DP is far from being an echo chamber. But some posters who have formed a connection over the years may want a place to share links, ideas, and issues that concern the group without having to rely on PMing. This wouldn't take away anything from the rest of the site and there would still be plenty of debate.

No matter the format there will always be some disadvantages. Arguments degenerate into spats all the time here. If we had forums with only like minded posters, discussions would degenerate into agreement with no reality check from the other side.

You think everyone would just seclude themselves to their group subforums? I have been on debate sites that have such forums and I will tell you that is definitely not the case. People go to DP to debate those who disagree with them. This would just be a nice addition to strengthen connections.

I didn't either.

Then what is with the comment, "You should always be prepared to defend your arguments" as if there would be no more open forum?

I don’t think the invitation only thing would happen but this isn’t a bad idea.

Maybe not just invitation, but posters could apply and moderators could approve.

Actually, when I was on Political Crossfire back in the day, there was still a bit of debate and disagreement going on in the Libertarian Forum. We had your typical right-libertarians alongside a couple geolibertarians/left-libertarians and a passionate anarchist.

Then what is with the comment, "You should always be prepared to defend your arguments" as if there would be no more open forum?

You want a private area where you can express yourself without anyone raising issues with what you are saying. I'm telling you to just say what you want in the open forum and be prepared to defend your statements. There is no need for a "safe space" where only like-minded people are allowed to hang out.

Actually, when I was on Political Crossfire back in the day, there was still a bit of debate and disagreement going on in the Libertarian Forum. We had your typical right-libertarians alongside a couple geolibertarians/left-libertarians and a passionate anarchist.

Sounds like fun.:mrgreen:

Echo chambers are nice for a while, but end up getting stale pretty quickly. Initially, you'd get a bunch of people holding hands and shouting "Yah for our side", but people will end up getting bored and move on in short order.

I'm speaking from personal experience in another forum.

You want a private area where you can express yourself without anyone raising issues with what you are saying. I'm telling you to just say what you want in the open forum and be prepared to defend your statements. There is no need for a "safe space" where only like-minded people are allowed to hang out.

There are benefits to having subforums for various political ideologies. For example, they can sticky threads organizing topics that allow posters to find sources and research. But I see I am not going to change your mind so whatever.

Echo chambers are nice for a while, but end up getting stale pretty quickly. Initially, you'd get a bunch of people holding hands and shouting "Yah for our side", but people will end up getting bored and move on in short order.

I'm speaking from personal experience in another forum.

Well that certainly was not my experience. But I suppose a moderate forum would be pretty boring. ;)

I'm not averse to the idea, but I think this could be accomplished right now via the DP "Groups" feature. Make the various groups private.

Membership is gained by either invitation or by a join-request approved by the group founder.

Kinda takes the "Debate" out of "Debate Politics", doesn't it? There are single ideology forums elsewhere on the net, so I'm not sure separate ideology sub-forums add much benefit to DP.

Kinda takes the "Debate" out of "Debate Politics", doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. No one said debate couldn't occur within the ideology sub-forums, and no one said take down the other forums.

Does the Leisure subforum take the "Debate" out of "Debate Politics?"

There are single ideology forums elsewhere on the net, so I'm not sure separate ideology sub-forums add much benefit to DP.

There are also other political debate forums on the net.

No, it doesn't. No one said debate couldn't occur within the ideology sub-forums, and no one said take down the other forums.

Does the Leisure subforum take the "Debate" out of "Debate Politics?"
You asked for an opinion - you got one.

Geoist' There are also other political debate forums on the net.[/QUOTE said:
Isn't that what I just said?

Moderator's Warning:
The staff has actually discussed something like this before, in fact I'm the one who brought it up for discussion. While there are advantages to something like this, there are also disadvantages. As someone has already mentioned, the "groups" feature is perfect for this type of thing. We want to keep the forums open to everyone for debate, for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion, closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom