• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sturgis Super Spreader Event

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The councils decision makes a lot of sense. There is no reason to resist what is inevitable. The best thing to do is prepare the best you can.

The councils decision makes a lot of sense. There is no reason to resist what is inevitable. The best thing to do is prepare the best you can.

Thousands of bikers heading to South Dakota rally to be blocked at tribal land checkpoints
Thousands of bikers heading to South Dakota’s 10-day Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will not be allowed through Cheyenne River Sioux checkpoints, a spokesman for the Native American group said on Saturday.

The decision to prevent access across tribal lands to the annual rally, which could attract as many as 250,000 bikers amid fears it could lead to a massive, regional coronavirus outbreak, comes as part of larger Covid-19 prevention policy. The policy has pitted seven tribes that make up the Great Sioux Nation against federal and state authorities, which both claim the checkpoints are illegal.
:popcorn:

Don't gather in crowds during a pandemic.

:censored

It's the epitome of selfishness. This isn't just a personal risk, because other people who come in contact with the attendees can also get sick. That will include family members and friends.

What I find ridiculous is that this event could be run in a safer manner. A lot of the rally happens outdoors, and a lot of people camp or stay in RVs. Just wearing masks, avoiding indoor bars, and staying a few feet apart could dramatically reduce the spread. That still would make it thoroughly unwise to attend, but at least it would be safer.

It will also take weeks to know how much this spread the virus, and we probably won't know most of it either. Too many people from all over, potentially infecting people while en route.

Good for the indian tribes.

The governor is banging hot but stupid to compare the Trump 4th of July celebration to this.

She reminds me of that crazy lady from Minnesota who ran for president a few years ago but whose name escapes me, which is probably a good thing.

I sympathise with the locals. Here where I live we kind of wish the tourists would stay away and we're talking maybe a thousand mostly camper families. I can understand why a few thousand locals in a small rural community would not look forward to hundreds of thousands from all over the country swarming all over the place, people who aren't known for obedience to authority. Normally I consider that last to be a positive attitude but these aren't normal circs.

I sympathise with the locals. Here where I live we kind of wish the tourists would stay away and we're talking maybe a thousand mostly camper families. I can understand why a few thousand locals in a small rural community would not look forward to hundreds of thousands from all over the country swarming all over the place, people who aren't known for obedience to authority. Normally I consider that last to be a positive attitude but these aren't normal circs.

There is a time and place. Now is not the time to gather 1/4 million or more people in one place.

Same reason Home Depot, Airlines, Kroger, the usual suspects and sacred cows continue to roam

Well, when I go the home depot, and to clothing stores, they are limiting the number of people that can be in at one time, and everyone must wear masks.

Show me a protest of 1/4 million. Maybe if Trump refuses to leave office, eh?

Of course, one thing they don't mention Masks when there are protests is that the DHS doesn't want people to break facial recognition software.

Well, when I go the home depot, and to clothing stores, they are limiting the number of people that can be in at one time, and everyone must wear masks.

But why those places and not Joe's Gym, churches, etc.. That's a rhetorical question

But why those places and not Joe's Gym, churches, etc.. That's a rhetorical question

Gyms people tend to breath deep, and exhale a lot of vapor. Churches do a lot of singing, which can be spreading. In my state, churches can hold services if there are 50% capacity, masks and a bit of distancing. They have to fill out paper work and show their plans, but they can have in church services now. Many churches are still doing streaming services instead though.

They have to follow the same guidelines as everyplace else. Masks, and people spreading out.

Show me a protest of 1/4 million. Maybe if Trump refuses to leave office, eh?

The number of attendees is irrelavant, since it's been claimed that the protests had zero effect on the spread of the virus.

Gyms people tend to breath deep, and exhale a lot of vapor. Churches do a lot of singing, which can be spreading. In my state, churches can hold services if there are 50% capacity, masks and a bit of distancing. They have to fill out paper work and show their plans, but they can have in church services now. Many churches are still doing streaming services instead though.

They have to follow the same guidelines as everyplace else. Masks, and people spreading out.

You think all that rioting doesn't cause people to breathe deep and exhale a lot of vapor?

If you can't figure that out on your own, then there is little hope for you.

Back
Top Bottom