• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sturgis rally linked to 15 Minnesota COVID-19 cases, including 1 hospitalization

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Minn. officials expecting more COVID cases tied to Sturgis rally - StarTribune.com

"Thousands of people attended that event, and so it's very likely that we will see more transmission," said Kris Ehresmann, the state's director of infectious diseases

Fifteen Minnesotans who attended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally this month have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, including one state resident hospitalized with COVID-19, state health officials say.

The Minnesota Department of Health received the first case report on Thursday and 14 more case reports on Friday, said Kris Ehresmann, the state’s director of infectious diseases, during a briefing Friday with reporters. Minnesotans who tested positive visited multiple campgrounds and bars at the South Dakota event, Ehresmann said, so cases apparently can’t be connected to any one location.

Seven residents of North Dakota also have cases connected to the Sturgis event, a government spokesman told the Star Tribune.

“Thousands of people attended that event, and so it’s very likely that we will see more transmission,” Ehresmann said.

The 10-day Sturgis Motorcycle Rally drew more than 460,000 vehicles this year, according to state officials. In the days leading up to the event near Rapid City, health officials in Minnesota expressed concern about the potential for the virus to spread at large indoor/outdoor gatherings like the Sturgis rally.

South Dakota officials, on the other hand, encouraged the event in a state that doesn’t mandate the use of masks. There have been fewer than 25 cases associated with the rally, said Rebecca Piroutek of the South Dakota Department of Health in an e-mail.

The department has issued three public health notices thus far for business exposures related to the rally, Piroutek said. Notices are issued, she said, when an individual is unable to identify people they were in close contact with while able to transmit the virus.

Word of cases linked to Sturgis came as Minnesota reported eight more deaths from COVID-19 and a relatively high number of newly confirmed infections.

The Health Department reported a net increase of 825 new coronavirus cases, according to data released Friday morning, on a volume of 18,815 completed tests. In the past week, the state averaged 630 new cases per day on a volume of about 17,300 tests.

About 4% of tests have been coming back positive this week, which is a lower rate than Gov. Tim Walz has suggested might trigger further restrictions to control the spread of the novel coronavirus. But health officials are cautious about the relatively high number of new cases among people infected in the community without a known exposure — another key measure.
=============================================================
As expected, the Sturgis rally will become a mass spreading evnt.

1 hospitalization OMG!!!!

You do realize that if the people had not been there spreading it, they would have been somewhere else spreading it?

You do realize that if the people had not been there spreading it, they would have been somewhere else spreading it?

Exactly!

You want people spreading it to be constrained to they can’t do it in groups of more than 10 people, rather than in a group of 250,000.

Basic epidemiology.

You seem to....not get the basics.

No surprise there.

Exactly!

You want people spreading it to be constrained to they can’t do it in groups of more than 10 people, rather than in a group of 250,000.

Basic epidemiology.

No surprise there.

No you seem to not get the basics. Bike rally or Walmart people with it are going to be spreading it to other people. It isn't like there were 250K people in a single room.

Last edited:
No you seem to not get the basics. Bike rally or Walmart people with it are going to be spreading it to other people. It isn't like there were 250K people in a single room.

I think they tried to pack that many into some of the bars during the bike rally.

Minnesota averaged so far in the month of August approx 650 (thats a low estimate...some days are well over 700) new cases a day. That means that in 22 days there have been 14,300 new cases of COVID in Minnesota...and 15 MIGHT be directly linked to Sturgis.

15 of 14,300

MIGHT be directly linked to Sturgis.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/covidweekly34.pdf

Minnesota averaged so far in the month of August approx 650 (thats a low estimate...some days are well over 700) new cases a day. That means that in 22 days there have been 14,300 new cases of COVID in Minnesota...and 15 MIGHT be directly linked to Sturgis.

15 of 14,300

It's a SUPER SPREADER I TELL YA!!!
I wonder how many cases spark clusters on any given night during the Portland riots? I mean, I think if you're close enough to beat a person half to death, you're close enough to spread covid.

I wonder if the event organizers and their company is subject to lawsuits from those who can trace their illness to idiots who attended. It would be satisfying to see them sued for a crushing amount of money.

I'd say this is great news if this is it as far as infections so far.

I think people on here aren't quite grasping how many people 250,000 is compared to 14 infections.

How this is a story but the millions of protesters over the course of months spreading the virus is not.

It's a SUPER SPREADER I TELL YA!!!
I wonder how many cases spark clusters on any given night during the Portland riots? I mean, I think if you're close enough to beat a person half to death, you're close enough to spread covid.

Well...none...because idiot leftists believe that COVID doesnt exist or spread in protests, riots, and looting.

I wonder if the event organizers and their company is subject to lawsuits from those who can trace their illness to idiots who attended. It would be satisfying to see them sued for a crushing amount of money.
Do you wonder who the 14,285 Minnesotans that have contracted COVID in the month of August that DIDNT go to Sturgis can sue?

Do you wonder what drives you to say such stupid ****?

Thats a much bigger question.

Well...none...because idiot leftists believe that COVID doesnt exist or spread in protests, riots, and looting.

And idiot rightists don't believe it's a problem. Which group of idiots do you reckon was better represented in Sturgis?

I'd say this is great news if this is it as far as infections so far.

I think people on here aren't quite grasping how many people 250,000 is compared to 14 infections.

How this is a story but the millions of protesters over the course of months spreading the virus is not.

'We've only just begun....' - The Carpenters

You probably freak out drinking a cup of water so it's hard to take you serious.

Exactly!

Basic epidemiology.

No surprise there.

they don't even understand math. forget what you're trying to explain.

It's magical how that happens.

14,300 new cases of COVID in Minnesota since 1 August...and you **** yourself over 15.

This all didnt 'only just begin'...you people have been trying to turn every single COVID factor into a political stunt since this all began.

15 of 14,300

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/stats/covidweekly34.pdf

It's only been a week folks. The virus takes 2-3 weeks to manifest itself. Just give it time.

Do you wonder who the 14,285 Minnesotans that have contracted COVID in the month of August that DIDNT go to Sturgis can sue?

Do you wonder what drives you to say such stupid ****?

Thats a much bigger question.

Do you understand that it's a poor idea to gather in crowds during a pandemic? Let's hope that if Sturgis ends up being a spreading event, Sturgis inc. will be sued into bankruptcy.

Do you not realize that packing all those people together in one small town for up to 10 days increases the likelihood and speed of the spread at least geometrically if not exponentially everywhere these morons went home to? The estimate was the that 450,000 vehicles came went to Sturgis during this dumb**** "rally" or whateverthe**** it was. Even if that only comes out to a third the number of people those vehicles brought in that's a staggering number of potential newly infected spreaders dispersed all over the country. Haven't you people learned anything from the incompetence and indifference of FL, TX, AL, MS, AZ, TN, GA, etc?

Do you understand that it's a poor idea to gather in crowds during a pandemic? Let's hope that if Sturgis ends up being a spreading event, Sturgis inc. will be sued into bankruptcy.

Obviously the Cult of Dirtbag demands that they not understand (or know, or learn) anything.

Back
Top Bottom