• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was 'superspreading event' that cost public health $12.2 billion: analysis

PNW Guy

CAUTION: SNARK AREA!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
The Hill said:
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was 'superspreading event' that cost public health $12.2 billion: analysis

BY J. EDWARD MORENO - 09/08/20 12:01 PM EDT

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota last month was a coronavirus “superspreading event” that led to an estimated $12.2 billion in public health costs, according to a new study by the IZA Institute of Labor Economics.

The analysis tracked anonymized cellphone data from the 10-day event that showed “smartphone pings from non-residents” and “foot traffic at restaurants and bars, retail establishments, entertainment venues, hotels and campgrounds each rose substantially.” Stay-at-home hours for local residents fell during the same time period.

Based on the increase in case count, the researchers group, estimated that cases connected to the gathering resulted in $12 billion in public health costs, not including the costs associated with any deaths that might be tied to cases from the event. That dollar amount is based on another estimation that an average of $46,000 is spent on each patient who tests positive for COVID-19.

Researchers concluded that more than 266,000 cases were tied to the event....

And the Darwin award winners will just keep going; Trump® rallies to come, get your COVID-19 before a vaccine folks, step right up! :roll:

And the Darwin award winners will just keep going; Trump® rallies to come, get your COVID-19 before a vaccine folks, step right up! :roll:

I can't help but wonder whether there were any Sturgis attendees that live in Bonn.

****ing assholes. This is why the coronavirus has no end in sight.

if anyone is going to sue the organizers for their gross negligence, they had better do it soon. Moscow McTurtle is trying to to take the ability to do that away.

****ing assholes. This is why the coronavirus has no end in sight.

I ride myself, but if I die will be the road kills me, not some stupid party to empty my wallet and give me a slow death of COVID....

I ride myself, but if I die will be the road kills me, not some stupid party to empty my wallet and give me a slow death of COVID....

The difference is, if you're unfortunate enough to die in a wreck, you probably won't spread a literal disease to people who don't want it.

if anyone is going to sue the organizers for their gross negligence, they had better do it soon. Moscow McTurtle is trying to to take the ability to do that away.

Dems are nuts nuts nuts if they give McConnell that without strict standards.

And definitely it’s a no without stimulus to protect elections and added UI for unemployed.

I think I need to be involved in the negotiations.

I can't help but wonder whether there were any Sturgis attendees that live in Bonn.

H-D is big in Germany and Europe, in general. Sturgis usually draws from across the world. What are you driving at?

And definitely it’s a no without stimulus to protect elections and added UI for unemployed.

Yeah, they definitely need someone in the room who will point out the consequences of stuff like this.

There will be no second Stimulus, the GOP has determined there's no need. The funding base is recovering fine, the rest of their base is dumb enough to be sold regardless. No further stimulus is coming, unless the cheating fails and Biden assumes the office. Bank on that, if nothing else. None, nothing, not an iota for the prolitariat. It's V shaped for the people who fund the GOP, so NOTHING for anyone else, as they're irrelevant. The vote of as many of them as they can get is already sewn up with the campaign of fear.

Seriously folks, there will be NO SECOND STIMULUS under this GOP senate..... Bank it now!

:lamo

They guess, calculate, and speculate. Meanwhile...there were actually 265 cases of individuals that MAY have contracted the virus at Sturgis and there remains only ONE death...an over 60 y/o male with multiple co-morbid diagnosis. With nearly 400,000 attendees. In the state of Minnesota, they claim there were 25 cases overall that MAY have been related to Sturgis...in a state that averages over 650 NEW cases every single day.

Meanwhile...studies demonstrate that through the end of August there are some 150,000 'despair deaths'...people that have committed suicide or died of drug overdoses or other related factors because they like you lived their lives in fear of a virus that is eminently survivable.

This remains a ridiculous political charade.

You people should feel free to dig a deeper hole and go ****ing hide in it til the politicians tell you its safe to come out.

Interesting .... how many people choose to believe crystal ball prognostications.

What do you ride?

I have two Softails and a Road-King, my riding days are probably in tthe rear view mirror......

:lamo

They guess, calculate, and speculate. Meanwhile...there were actually 265 cases of individuals that MAY have contracted the virus at Sturgis and there remains only ONE death...an over 60 y/o male with multiple co-morbid diagnosis. With nearly 400,000 attendees. In the state of Minnesota, they claim there were 25 cases overall that MAY have been related to Sturgis...in a state that averages over 650 NEW cases every single day.

Meanwhile...studies demonstrate that through the end of August there are some 150,000 'despair deaths'...people that have committed suicide or died of drug overdoses or other related factors because they like you lived their lives in fear of a virus that is eminently survivable.

This remains a ridiculous political charade.

You people should feel free to dig a deeper hole and go ****ing hide in it til the politicians tell you its safe to come out.

Thanks for that alt-right **** on the rug. Too bad it's complete nonsense as per usual with your posts....

I am not at all surprised by the results, but I am a little interested in how they managed the data flow of tracking of that many people.

Thanks for that alt-right **** on the rug. Too bad it's complete nonsense as per usual with your posts....

Imagine a virus so 'deadly' that you need a test to know if you even had it.

I dont know whats worse...how readily they know they can **** you over, or how eager you are to prove them right.

Imagine a virus so 'deadly' that you need a test to know if you even had it.

I dont know whats worse...how readily they know they can **** you over, or how eager you are to prove them right.

Imagine not understanding what a carrier is, and that they occur with varying frequencies with almost any disease.

What do you ride?

I have two Softails and a Road-King, my riding days are probably in tthe rear view mirror......

Just a Honda and a Yamaha I plan to fix. I like midsized bikes. Never been one for long rides. But it's sure a nice way to commute sometimes. The Honda is a 450 and the Yamaha a 750 Virago some guy sold me cheap with no title (owner died). I'm not one to ride constantly but I go through spells. Also always a great alternative to my van when I work on my car (who can afford 10mpg when you're not towing or hauling?). I'm not a rich guy, but money never mattered to me if I'm happy and getting by.

But yeah a ride to the nearest huge city is about a 2 hour ride, and that's about the limit of what I enjoy. My tailbone can't take more than 4 or so hours in a day anymore.

If I ever can afford anything American it will be no bigger than a sportster, but TBH an old leaky Triumph would be my "dream bike".

Imagine not understanding what a carrier is, and that they occur with varying frequencies with almost any disease.

And yet...we have thousands of false positives, people intitially reported as positive that were later informed they were negative, people that were never tested being reported as positive, dead people reported as positive.

At some point you have to figure as readily as you bend over for them, you must like it.

Imagine not caring if you kill your loved ones, cuz it's "just a cold", and maybe that loved one is more vulnerable to COVID for whatever reason?

H-D is big in Germany and Europe, in general. Sturgis usually draws from across the world. What are you driving at?

The folks who did the study are in Bonn.

What do you ride?

You don't have to ride to go to Sturgis. Just trailer your favorite bike there, parking lot ride, and pose like everyone else does.

You don't have to ride to go to Sturgis. Just trailer your favorite bike there, parking lot ride, and pose like everyone else does.

Ain't that the sad reality....

Back
Top Bottom