• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was 'superspreading event' that cost public health $12.2 billion: analysis

I am not at all surprised by the results, but I am a little interested in how they managed the data flow of tracking of that many people.

Yes it would be good to know. One thing we do know, right now the positive tests are running at 22% in SD, that is not a good thing by any measurement.

Lol. Sturgis is responsible for 1/4 of all new Covid 19 infections in the country? Please.

They are killing small business owners.

I hope the small business owners never forget.

It's part of the corporate cleptocracy. This has LONG been a GOP plan, but they "lucked" into a complete MORON, (controlable they thought) that could draw a cult of personality and sell snake oil literally "like no one has ver seen before". Then they took a **** ton of Russian cash, conveniently funneled though the NRA, giving moron boy just enough to hold contol over them....

Now these covidiots are cheering on the corporate cleptocracy and crushing of the little guy Trump® was supposed to care about! You couldn't write a more distopian reality, but here it is. Worse yet, a good number of them can't wait to "boogerloo", regardless of the elctoral outcome. The sexy, juicy, fantasy of legal murder, that precious dream opportunity to "self defend" against "leftists scum" holds a lot of allure, all the while in service of something that will gladly munch on their bones once they've served it's purpose! A bunch of sick ****s for real, and IMO< those who aren't taking them seriously do so at their own peril.

No I don't see the "boogerloo" fools as any kind of force that can impose it's will, but they can and very probably will do a lot of violence along the way....

the employer should do simple stuff like providing PPE, not letting maskless people into the place of business, enforcing social distancing, and not setting up an event in which four hundred thousand idiots completely ignore the pandemic during the middle of a pandemic, putting the entire ****ing country at greater risk. anyone who does that should be sued until they can't even afford to be homeless.

You didn't exactly answer my question. Are you saying that the sick employee should be able to sue even though the employer took all the necessary precautions?

I agree the Sturgis rally should not have been held unless the organizers, bar owners imposed mandates for social distancing, mask wearing.
Apparently, according to witnesses, this was not done. Still, I still think the people who went there had a choice to wear a mask, and stay out of big crowds in bars. They didn't, and I don't think that makes the organizers or bar owners responsible for their failure to protect themselves.

You didn't exactly answer my question. Are you saying that the sick employee should be able to sue even though the employer took all the necessary precautions?

I agree the Sturgis rally should not have been held unless the organizers, bar owners imposed mandates for social distancing, mask wearing.
Apparently, according to witnesses, this was not done. Still, I still think the people who went there had a choice to wear a mask, and stay out of big crowds in bars. They didn't, and I don't think that makes the organizers or bar owners responsible for their failure to protect themselves.

I don't think anyone can make a rational case for that; but employers who don't protect employees, why should they not be held accountable?

Lol. Sturgis is responsible for 1/4 of all new Covid 19 infections in the country? Please.

Heh, It's a great cover story for the all the protesters and rioters out gallivanting across the nation. I mean, our well-meaning liberal press is hardly going to blame a Covid spread on THEM. Better to push a motorcycle meme. Thanks!!

And the Darwin award winners will just keep going; Trump® rallies to come, get your COVID-19 before a vaccine folks, step right up! :roll:

"The analysis tracked anonymized cellphone data from the 10-day event that showed “smartphone pings from non-residents” and “foot traffic at restaurants and bars, retail establishments, entertainment venues, hotels and campgrounds each rose substantially.”

So there's a way to " track anonymized cellphone data " and estimate "cases connected to the rally's public health cost"? Interesting. Why did they decide to track that particular event? There is a large contingent of Trump supporters in the motorcycle community, such as "bikers for Trump", for example. Coincidence? Maybe. Is it a proven accurate method? Maybe they can track the thousands of rioters around the country. It makes sense that thousands of people running around screeching, attacking anything and anybody in their way, would also make an interesting study. I remember reading somewhere early on in the rioting, that it wasn't spreading the virus. Not sure what the methodology was, just that the result was very quick, just like the Sturgis Rally.

I don't think anyone can make a rational case for that; but employers who don't protect employees, why should they not be held accountable?

No where did I say irresponsible employers shouldn't be held accountable. Did you have a point?

And the Darwin award winners will just keep going; Trump® rallies to come, get your COVID-19 before a vaccine folks, step right up! :roll:

SO how much spread has all these BLM protests cost public health?
i find it odd they don't mention those.

which precautions did the employer take, and what stupid things did the employer do?

i'd like to see the entity behind the event sued out of existence for gross negligence. i'm also a former rider who sort of fantasized about going to an event that big, and i have played more biker events than i can count off of the top of my head. that being said, holding that event during a pandemic was just stupid almost beyond the outer, uncharted realm of stupid. personal responsibility was drawn, quartered, cremated, and scattered to the wind.

Well I'm sure you've sent off enough to "build the wall" already, to make you feel sufficiently "patriotic" anyway....

How much they get ya for anyway?:lamo

Embarassed? I would be too!:cool:

More prattle about who knows what. If you have an issue with something I actually have posted, and not stuff you desperately want me to have posted just so you can argue with someone, then please quote it and I'll be happy to respond on topic.

which precautions did the employer take, and what stupid things did the employer do?

Again, answer the question. We've already been over all the necessary precautions as outlined by the CDC. Do you think the employee should be able to sue when the employer took every CDC recommended precaution?

i'd like to see the entity behind the event sued out of existence for gross negligence. i'm also a former rider who sort of fantasized about going to an event that big, and i have played more biker events than i can count off of the top of my head. that being said, holding that event during a pandemic was just stupid almost beyond the outer, uncharted realm of stupid. personal responsibility was drawn, quartered, cremated, and scattered to the wind

Though I don't think the event should have been held considering, I blame those old enough to vote for not taking the necessary precautions. Stay home. Or if you go, follow the CDC's guidelines. They knowingly take the risk, get sick, it's on them.

Again, answer the question. We've already been over all the necessary precautions as outlined by the CDC. Do you think the employee should be able to sue when the employer took every CDC recommended precaution?

did an employer like that engage in gross negligence?

Though I don't think the event should have been held considering, I blame those old enough to vote for not taking the necessary precautions. Stay home. Or if you go, follow the CDC's guidelines. They knowingly take the risk, get sick, it's on them.

there are always going to be idiots. if those who made money off them wind up putting me at risk due to their gross negligence, then i have legal rights. your freedom ends at your nose. the event should have been canceled. attendees ended up going back to 61% of the counties in the US. you don't have to be an epidemiologist to figure out what that might mean.

It's part of the corporate cleptocracy. This has LONG been a GOP plan, but they "lucked" into a complete MORON, (controlable they thought) that could draw a cult of personality and sell snake oil literally "like no one has ver seen before". Then they took a **** ton of Russian cash, conveniently funneled though the NRA, giving moron boy just enough to hold contol over them....

Now these covidiots are cheering on the corporate cleptocracy and crushing of the little guy Trump® was supposed to care about! You couldn't write a more distopian reality, but here it is. Worse yet, a good number of them can't wait to "boogerloo", regardless of the elctoral outcome. The sexy, juicy, fantasy of legal murder, that precious dream opportunity to "self defend" against "leftists scum" holds a lot of allure, all the while in service of something that will gladly munch on their bones once they've served it's purpose! A bunch of sick ****s for real, and IMO< those who aren't taking them seriously do so at their own peril.

No I don't see the "boogerloo" fools as any kind of force that can impose it's will, but they can and very probably will do a lot of violence along the way....

a lot of truth in this post.

a lot of truth in this post.

And not one of the fools will see what garbage people they supported till they themselves are crushed under what they helped create, if the election rigging holds. At this point I give it 6 in 10 odds of working for tweety. Too many complicit senators took that Russian Cash, hell Ron Johnson probably gets checks for being a GRU agent the way he spews it!

did an employer like that engage in gross negligence?

So you insist on answering my question by asking another...

there are always going to be idiots. if those who made money off them wind up putting me at risk due to their gross negligence, then i have legal rights. your freedom ends at your nose. the event should have been canceled. attendees ended up going back to 61% of the counties in the US. you don't have to be an epidemiologist to figure out what that might mean.

I admire your wishful, Utopian thought process, but no courtroom in the US. or insurance company is dumb enough to pay for something you, you, as in the collective, has caused themselves. They didn't have to go, did they? But they CHOSE to go, they were not COMPELLED to go to Sturgis and neglect their health. Having the freedom to make dumb choices often carries dire consequences.

So you insist on answering my question by asking another...

I admire your wishful thinking, but no courtroom in the US. or insurance company is dumb enough to pay for something you, you, as in the collective, has caused themselves. They didn't have to go, did they? But they CHOSE to go, they were not COMPELLED to go to Sturgis and neglect their health.

bringing four hundred and some thousand people into one small area during a pandemic was a moronic decision. this is also known as gross negligence.

bringing four hundred and some thousand people into one small area during a pandemic was a moronic decision. this is also known as gross negligence.

When a jury comes to the above conclusion, be sure and alert me.

When a jury comes to the above conclusion, be sure and alert me.

i don't need a jury to confirm what is intuitively obvious to the casual observer.

A study done in a month.

Really?

If I was going to launch a bio-weapon against the USA, Sturgis would be in my top 5 choices of target, simply because there are so many people, most of whom are doing things that are ideal for the spread of a disease.

I admire your wishful, Utopian thought process, but no courtroom in the US. or insurance company is dumb enough to pay for something you, you, as in the collective, has caused themselves. They didn't have to go, did they? But they CHOSE to go, they were not COMPELLED to go to Sturgis and neglect their health. Having the freedom to make dumb choices often carries dire consequences.

And not just for you. For everyone around you.

Back
Top Bottom