• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Is Now Linked to More Than 250,000 Coronavirus Cases

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A study has linked 250,000 new cases of C-19 to the Sturgis event. According to Mother Jones news (which linked to the original article), a study with cell phone data links 250,000 new cases of c-19 to Sturgies.

Form Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Is Now Linked to More Than 250,000 Coronavirus Cases – Mother Jones

he inevitable fallout from last month’s Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, an annual event that packed nearly 500,000 people into a small town in South Dakota, is becoming clear, and the emerging picture is grim.

According to a new study, which tracked anonymized cellphone data from the rally, over 250,000 coronavirus cases have now been tied to the 10-day event, one of the largest to be held since the start of the pandemic. It drew motorcycle enthusiasts from around the country, many of whom were seen without face coverings inside crowded bars, restaurants, and other indoor establishment
he inevitable fallout from last month’s Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, an annual event that packed nearly 500,000 people into a small town in South Dakota, is becoming clear, and the emerging picture is grim.

And, a link to the paper from the he Germany-based IZA Institute of Labor Economics http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Yes, I know Mother Jones news is rated between left and left of center, there factual basis is high. They also provided a link to their source, so the original study can be read and people can make their own conclusions based on that report. The german based institute doesn't seem to have an axe to grind in American politics,and is more interested in the economic impact.

A study has linked 250,000 new cases of C-19 to the Sturgis event. According to Mother Jones news (which linked to the original article), a study with cell phone data links 250,000 new cases of c-19 to Sturgies.

Form Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Is Now Linked to More Than 250,000 Coronavirus Cases – Mother Jones

And, a link to the paper from the he Germany-based IZA Institute of Labor Economics http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Yes, I know Mother Jones news is rated between left and left of center, there factual basis is high. They also provided a link to their source, so the original study can be read and people can make their own conclusions based on that report. The german based institute doesn't seem to have an axe to grind in American politics,and is more interested in the economic impact.

Devil’s advocate question.........how are the two separated in these times?

2020-Sturgis-motorcycle-rally.jpg

Devil’s advocate question.........how are the two separated in these times?

Because, it's a foreign institute, and they are not directly effected by Trumpism

I heard Marie Laveau has returned to the living and now has a On-Line site for all personal covid prognostications... and... AND ... for personal safety she has a large selection of covid prevention spells to cast ...with a lifetime guarantee .... prices depending on degree of safety sought.

here's to those who believe crystal ball forecasts ... :lamo

I heard Marie Laveau has returned to the living and now has a On-Line site for all personal covid prognostications... and... AND ... for personal safety she has a large selection of covid prevention spells to cast ...with a lifetime guarantee .... prices depending on degree of safety sought.

In other words, rather than actually look at the study, and give an anaylsys that actually counters it, you hand wave things away. Do you have any comment that actually addresses the data?

A lot of them are old and fat.

Two conditions that increase the chance they'll die.

I have to say, while I am certain that Sturgis spread COVID-19 far and wide, attributing that many cases -- nearly 20% of all US cases during the study period -- sounds unlikely. It just seems a little too soon for those kind of numbers.

That said, it is somewhat sad that the state has to scramble to find other equally disturbing reasons why South Dakota's numbers rose in recent weeks. E.g. South Dakota's state epidemiologist is suggesting that reopening schools contributed to the recent increases in cases. Yay...? "It wasn't the bad decision to allow the rally that cause cases to rise, it was... uh... the bad decision to open schools!" That's just great.

In other words, rather than actually look at the study, and give an anaylsys that actually counters it, you hand wave things away. Do you have any comment that actually addresses the data?

Yes ! It is pure speculation.
Showing actual, factual, identified cases would make a considerable impression.
I'm not much for someone's algorithmic extrapolation... It's b.s. and has not proven correct one time.
good day atcha' R

I have to say, while I am certain that Sturgis spread COVID-19 far and wide, attributing that many cases -- nearly 20% of all US cases during the study period -- sounds unlikely. It just seems a little too soon for those kind of numbers.

That said, it is somewhat sad that the state has to scramble to find other equally disturbing reasons why South Dakota's numbers rose in recent weeks. E.g. South Dakota's state epidemiologist is suggesting that reopening schools contributed to the recent increases in cases. Yay...? "It wasn't the bad decision to allow the rally that cause cases to rise, it was... uh... the bad decision to open schools!" That's just great.

Not only that, but many of the surrounding states also had spikes. A large number of the surrounding states had spikes too,and many of the midwest states started heating up. It looks like Nebraska had just 2 weeks of it getting really out control before started it started coming back down, but ND is still 'hot' Iowa also had a surge that is coming down again.

I'm not much for someone's algorithmic extrapolation... It's b.s. and has not proven correct one time.
good day atcha' R

Forgive me, but I'll trust people who are trained in the field over you.

According to the CDC there were a little under 300,000 cases in the last seven days. It's been a month since Sturgis started. Assuming that we have 50,000 new cases per day, every day that would be 1.5 million cases over the course of the month. If that's the case then Sturgis is responsible for damned near 20% of ALL new COVID cases. Do you really expect everyone to believe that? Does it sound AT ALL reasonable that Sturgis has been responsible for 1 in 5 new infections nationwide since the event started?

Good luck with that.

DAMN I wish you hadn't mentioned that. Now I have the Redbone song stuck in my head.

good day atcha' R
Which is a lot of words to repeat, "I got nuthin'".

Forgive me, but I'll trust people who are trained in the field over you.

Everybody gotta' trust somebody.
I prefer to trust those with a history of being correct....

Choose to believe whatever fearful affirmation you desire... there are myriad; none have been correct.

You have not been able to show that.

You have not been able to show that.

Your joking, right ?
If you haven't learned it by your own observation it's doubtful my time would be well spent giving examples. That's something that should be a personal quest for available facts... a tough job with so many contradicting "expert" opinions and forecasts.
geez... the CDC just reissued the actual death due singularly to cv is less than 10,000.
And now those who were touting CDC science reports do not want to accept CDC "expert" data.
Statistical extrapolation is crystal ball gazing to feed fear ...

Your joking, right ?
If you haven't learned it by your own observation it's doubtful my time would be well spent giving examples. That's something that should be a personal quest for available facts... a tough job with so many contradicting "expert" opinions and forecasts.
geez... the CDC just reissued the actual death due singularly to cv is less than 10,000.
And now those who were touting CDC science reports do not want to accept CDC "expert" data.
Statistical extrapolation is crystal ball gazing to feed fear ...

Your hand waving of data away is noted. I'll accept scientists verses someone who is not addressing the data any day.

Back
Top Bottom