• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stupidest comments you heard people make about music

People saying they used to love Rage Against the Machine before they "got all political."

Like, dude, what Machine did you think their band name was referencing, the dishwasher?

😇👍
Gatekeeping isn't a good look.

Nobody cares if you belief you have some superior knowledge concerning music.

This thread is self-answering.

As you said to someone else, "nobody cares if you think you have superior musical knowledge". While that may be true 99.999% of the time, there are exceptions to the rule..... In my case, it's not like I just think I have superior musical knowledge, and that no one else cares..... It's the opposite of that.

It's everyone else telling me that my musical knowledge is completely superior, and it's everyone else telling me how MUCH they care about it..... Unfortunately, my brilliance, awesome personality & character, and mostly my extreme humbleness precludes me from discussing it further........ 😄

😇👍

As you said to someone else, "nobody cares if you think you have superior musical knowledge". While that may be true 99.999% of the time, there are exceptions to the rule..... In my case, it's not like I just think I have superior musical knowledge, and that no one else cares..... It's the opposite of that.

It's everyone else telling me that my musical knowledge is completely superior, and it's everyone else telling me how MUCH they care about it..... Unfortunately, my brilliance, awesome personality & character, and mostly my extreme humbleness precludes me from discussing it further........ 😄

I was addressing the OP. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I was addressing the OP. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Yeah, I was my (unsuccessful) attempt at humor. I wasn't disagreeing or disrespecting you in any way. In a forum, we can generally respond to anyone, as long as we aren't breaking any rules.

People saying they used to love Rage Against the Machine before they "got all political."

Like, dude, what Machine did you think their band name was referencing, the dishwasher?
NO!! I certainly DIDNT think that they were raging against the dishwasher, because it's called a "dishwasher", not a "dishwashing machine". Let's all calm down and think this through rationally.... We can tell by their name that they are angry with some sort of "machine", which gives us a clue that the REAL object of their ire was their washing "MACHINE"! I can relate, because there once was a time when I raged against my own washing machine. It just wasn't reliably removing all the grass stains!

But as I grew and matured, both my political AND my appliance-related views changed..... Now I realize that I just wasn't adding enough detergent.... Similarly, the band RATM have also matured, and now they no longer rage against appliances. Now they rage in FAVOR of govt authoritarianism..... We've all grown!

Last edited:
LOL

If this is a serious question, which I am not sure of, ask a POP fan for their opinion and ask a Rap fan for their opinion.

You will quickly see that both think their music "better."

Generally speaking look how limited Rock music is. It is primarily made up of 3 instruments (drums bass and guitar)and less than profession voices. ( and 2 of the 3 are string instruments!)

Although I am a rock fan, objectively it is pretty obvious that Pop music is much more dynamic and diverse. Provably "better" depending on the definition of "better" one comes up with.

I could explain to you why people believe "their" music is better but I don't feel like offering a psychology class here. Long story short, narcissism and emotional relevance to life situations when it was consumed.

Peace
As you explained, everyone has his or her, zis or zir's own opinions about what music is "best". But these are merely SUBJECTIVE beliefs.

But can we say that there are 'objective' truths as to which genre of music is best? Well, I'm glad I asked, because YES, we can 'objectively' say that hard rock and metal are "best". That's the ONLY objective truth when it comes to musical preferences. All other musical considerations are subjective.....

In a time long ago, a great philosopher once said, "death to all but metal". It was 2009, and here it is:

As you explained, everyone has his or her, zis or zir's own opinions about what music is "best". But these are merely SUBJECTIVE beliefs.

But can we say that there are 'objective' truths as to which genre of music is best? Well, I'm glad I asked, because YES, we can 'objectively' say that hard rock and metal are "best". That's the ONLY objective truth when it comes to musical preferences. All other musical considerations are subjective.....

In a time long ago, a great philosopher once said, "death to all but metal". It was 2009, and here it is:
You realize this thread isnt a call for saying the stupidest comment made about music, right?

Stupidest comments you heard people make about music

"Alice Cooper is the king of pop!"

Or at least I thought so, until I learnt that back when that exclamation was a thing, pop simply meant "popular music".

You realize this thread isnt a call for saying the stupidest comment made about music, right?
I obviously wasn't being serious. It was just a joke. I was intentionally saying something obviously false and dumb in a thread about false and dumb statements on music.

"Alice Cooper is the king of pop!"

Or at least I thought so, until I learnt that back when that exclamation was a thing, pop simply meant "popular music".
✅ You're right.
Here's the definition for "pop music":
"Extremely popular music that most people say they like, which is played on almost every radio station 24/7".

🚫But then there's "alternative music", which is very different from pop, hence it's name....
Here's the definition for 90s alternative rock:
"Extremely popular music that most people say they like, which is played on most radio stations 24/7".

😁😁😁

"metal is noise, all it is just screaming and banging on guitars and drums"
Here I agree!
Such music is just noise - and a very stupid noise at that!

:D:D:D(n)(n)(n)

Here I agree!
Such music is just noise - and a very stupid noise at that!

:D:D:D(n)(n)(n)

I could say the same about rap music being mostly crap, especially with the mumble rap where you can't understand what they are saying.

I could say the same about rap music being mostly crap, especially with the mumble rap where you can't understand what they are saying.
OK - you may say so.
Such music is probably made by persons with a pathologically big Ego.

OK - you may say so.
Such music is probably made by persons with a pathologically big Ego.

I wonder too why people think metal is too loud, yet don't realize that rap music turned all the way up gives people a headache?

In the novel “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” the late Robert M. Pirsig writes about the protagonist experiencing a string of bad results from a motorcycle repair shop that caused more damage than was originally evident. He noticed the rock and roll music playing in the shop on his first visit, and describes his thinking after finally deciding to take his cycle home and work on it himself:​

“The radio was a clue. You can’t really think hard about what you’re doing and listen to the radio at the same time. Maybe they didn’t see their job as having anything to do with hard thought, just wrench twiddling. If you can twiddle wrenches while listening to the radio that’s more enjoyable.”​

People listen to music far more than they should. Try silence now and then for good mental health.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom