• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stupidest comments you heard people make about music

If it were up to me, I would ban the guitar, bass and drums for one decade just to force musicians to realize there are other sounds in the world.

How the guitar became such a dominate instrument I'll never understand.

Making music on a computer?

But couldn't anyone download something like fruitloops or reaper and make phat beats?

If it were up to me, I would ban the guitar, bass and drums for one decade just to force musicians to realize there are other sounds in the world.

How the guitar became such a dominate instrument I'll never understand.

But there are many genres of music that aren't dominated by guitar, and some that have NO guitar. Swing, jazz, big band, electronica, dubstep, trip hop, industrial, etc. There are LOTS of no-guitar genres.

But there are many genres of music that aren't dominated by guitar, and some that have NO guitar. Swing, jazz, big band, electronica, dubstep, trip hop, industrial, etc. There are LOTS of no-guitar genres.

omg...

god bless

Isn't Jazz kinda old school?

Cause i don't think there are many who are into that kind of music nowadays?

omg...

god bless

I didn't think of it when you first broached the subject, noonereal, but a capella groups are currently very popular. I love many genres of choral music. When I was in high school I sang madrigals. Now I enjoy The Pentatonix and, at Christmas time, Straight No Chaser.

I didn't think of it when you first broached the subject, noonereal, but a capella groups are currently very popular. I love many genres of choral music. When I was in high school I sang madrigals. Now I enjoy The Pentatonix and, at Christmas time, Straight No Chaser.

I wonder if anyone thinks that overtime, that some oldschool music styles may make a comeback?

Like does anyone remember during the 90's when swing music made a brief comeback?

[ “Stupidest comments you heard people make about music”

I heard a lady once say that music was just a bunch of noise and people should stop wasting their time listening to it and use their time more wisely.

To me, it is an elevation of the human spirit and a glimpse into a better, more refined, and beautiful world. If everything in the world could have such sweet melodies, rhythms, and harmonies. It is absolutely therapeutic. It elevates and inspires.

What a small, mean, ugly world that lady must live in.

Whoever said that has never heard French music.

Classical French music? French pop that is on Eurovision contests? What French music? Recently some insurance company (or something) started to use Edith Piaf's "Je ne regrette rien" in an ad and I remembered how much I loved her singing.

Classical French music? French pop that is on Eurovision contests? What French music? Recently some insurance company (or something) started to use Edith Piaf's "Je ne regrette rien" in an ad and I remembered how much I loved her singing.

OMG! Georges Bizet was French, too! How could I have let that slip? "Carmen" is my favorite opera!

It's not a comment per se, and it qualifies more as ignorance than stupidity, but:

There are significant number of people deaf from birth who consider deafness so intrinsic to their identity that not only would they not gain the ability to hear if it were medically possible, they take offense at the public perception of deafness as undesirable, and some few even hope for their children to be born deaf.

Now... it's true that even totally deaf people can experience music (particularly, bass notes with strong resonance) through vibration, but I have to think that a person willfully passing up the ability to experience ALL music in its full richness and entirety to maintain a "deaf person" special identity is pretty... um... foolish. IMNSHO

not songs people can dance to
so live shows are sausage fests without any dancing
ymmv

I'm sure there are some metal chicks that exist. I know a girl on facebook who is both a furry and into 80's metal and such.

I once saw at a mall near me, a chick with a iron maiden shirt and she picked up a iron maiden calendar.

" I like all kinds of music"

No, you don't.

Because often you don't know about more obscure bands, only what is played on the radio.

"metal is noise, all it is just screaming and banging on guitars and drums"

Are you serious, Judas Priest,Black Sabbath,Led Zeppelin never screamed in their music. You must be thinking of death metal,black metal or hardcore.

The granddaddy of stupid comments about music is from "Amadeus".
I sure do wish I knew if this was grounded in at least a smidgeon of factual evidence or if it was just poetic license. 😆

Something something something cultural appropriation.
Oh that's a dandy...I hear that and I immediately get irritated.
ALL ART, ALL OF IT, is borne of cultural mixing and appropriation.
Take that out and this way lies stagnation and collapse.

Cultural appropriation is a real problem. Big companies take designs or inspiration from other cultures, then sell them, without giving anything back to the people they took from.
One almost never hears complaints about big corporations doing this.
The majority of cultural appropriation whining comes from the ultra-woke ultra-lefty butt hurt crowd, the same ones calling out for "safe spaces" on campus, and they're usually directed at individuals, usually artists.

It's not a comment per se, and it qualifies more as ignorance than stupidity, but:

There are significant number of people deaf from birth who consider deafness so intrinsic to their identity that not only would they not gain the ability to hear if it were medically possible, they take offense at the public perception of deafness as undesirable, and some few even hope for their children to be born deaf.

Now... it's true that even totally deaf people can experience music (particularly, bass notes with strong resonance) through vibration, but I have to think that a person willfully passing up the ability to experience ALL music in its full richness and entirety to maintain a "deaf person" special identity is pretty... um... foolish. IMNSHO

I will never understand "militant deaf culture".
Not lambasting it or attacking, I just won't ever understand it.
If someone is born deaf with no chance of fixing it, so be it, it's the hand of cards dealt to them.
But attacking those hearing impaired who attempt to remedy their problem is insanity.

I like Dylan's singing. My current favorite is probably mid 70s around the Desire / Rolling Thunder period, but that varies with my mood.

People who mock Dylan's singing voice should check out Vladimir Vysottsky, oft-referred to as "the Russian Bob Dylan".
Now tell me how awful Dylan's voice is! 😆😆😆

" I like all kinds of music"

No, you don't.

Because often you don't know about more obscure bands, only what is played on the radio.

"metal is noise, all it is just screaming and banging on guitars and drums"

Are you serious, Judas Priest,Black Sabbath,Led Zeppelin never screamed in their music. You must be thinking of death metal,black metal or hardcore.
You know what's REALLY stupid?

Gatekeeping people's musical tastes.

I wonder what you guys think about people wearing t shirts of bands that they don't even know.

One time i saw a dude wearing a Nirvana shirt and i said, like dude. You like Nirvana too?

When he didn't know what i meant.

I think i should have asked him to name 4 or 5 songs from Nirvana without looking it up on a tablet or such.
Cringe.

Classic country like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton is good, Modern country is just rock music with a twangy accent.

You give modern 'country' music too much credit. It is genreless, tuneless DRECK. It is lazy 'song' writing taken to an extreme that I didn't even know existed. If it weren't for Outlaw Country (channel 60) on SeriusXm, I really don't know what I would listen to.

The majority of cultural appropriation whining comes from the ultra-woke ultra-lefty butt hurt crowd, the same ones calling out for "safe spaces" on campus, and they're usually directed at individuals, usually artists.

This reminds me of the story from last year about the white girl who wore a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, which prompted a righteous-indignation-fueled 'cultural appropriation' backlash. One of the most out-spoken critics of this poor girl was a Chinese guy who spewed, "My culture is not your prom dress!"

His name is Jeremy Chen. Jeremy. JEREMY.

Back
Top Bottom