• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stupidest comments you heard people make about music

I wonder what u guys think on this study that metalheads are intelligent?

People might think metal is immature.

But didn't the late Sir Christopher Lee record a metal album when he was in his 90's?

Your link does not say metal listeners are intelligent, it says they have "Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease"

why did you misrepresent the results of the study?

From another study:

"The result was that students who scored higher in intelligence were associated with an ear for wordless music genres like big band, classical, and ambient or chill electronica. Another finding was that students who listened to music cognitively--that is, for the enjoyment of analyzing or appreciating the composition or technique--also preferred instrumental music.".

The question as to intelligence with respect to music preference almost always comes up with classical leading the way.

Your link does not say metal listeners are intelligent, it says they have "Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease"

From another study:

"The result was that students who scored higher in intelligence were associated with an ear for wordless music genres like big band, classical, and ambient or chill electronica. Another finding was that students who listened to music cognitively--that is, for the enjoyment of analyzing or appreciating the composition or technique--also preferred instrumental music.".

The question as to intelligence with respect to music preference almost always comes up with classical leading the way.

Srry dude.

I think though i have low self esteem.

Maybe...... However, there is an obvious, but rare exception where it's 100% perfectly reasonable and even necessary to judge folks harshly for a musical preference(or lack thereof). When someone says that KISS isn't their favorite band! In fact, this also counts as the "stupidest musical comment ever". KISS is EVERYONE'S favorite band! Lol
Like I said, I don't care what people listen to, even if it's KISS.

I recently asked my 13-year-old granddaughter is she has heard of Linda Ronstadt. She said no. That made me sad.

I recently asked my 13-year-old granddaughter is she has heard of Linda Ronstadt. She said no. That made me sad.

I love the clear voices of the singers mentioned above (Emmylou Harris and Linda Rondstadt)..

This discussion reminded me of the trios sung by Dolly Parton, Linda Rondstadt, and Emmylou Harris, which in turn made me think of a favorite recording I wanted to share. It is a song composed by Donovan and recorded by Joan Baez, Mimi Fariña , and Judy Collins.

I also love the songs sung by Joan Baez and her sister Mimi Fariña when they performed for the prisoners at Sing Sing Prison.

From another study:

This one here talks about metal fans being brainer

I was at a mountain concert that was so loud I had to leave the theater... there needs to be laws across the country on decibel levels at concerts. They do so much damage.
what did you say, i couldn't hear you?

lost much of my hearing during the early years of reinforced sound - always at excessive levels
talking to you grand funk railroad, led zep, and ted nugent

when my grandson hit 15 he got a good set of ear plugs and strong advice to use them. they don't do much good if one waits until they have experienced hearing loss

I find the entire subgenre classifications silly. In all genres. There is no need to label each band and album differently. It's ridiculous. Never mind that no two people place an album in a subgenre the same.
I am not disagreeing with your point. There is music I like, and music I don't, and those are the only two genres that matter. However, you presented a list of genres, and it was incomplete.

I am not disagreeing with your point. There is music I like, and music I don't, and those are the only two genres that matter. However, you presented a list of genres, and it was incomplete.

It was not incomplete, it is the officially accepted list hence used by the industry, hence my reply to you (for metal subgenre)

peace

From another study:

Link to study/quoted material please.

This one here talks about metal fans being brainer

you can find a study that support global cooling instead of warming too... lol

I laughed my ass off at this line " rhythmic tendencies are the musical equivalent of Einstein's theory of relativity. "

the link to the study is bogus as is the link to National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth

That said, I have read something similar in the past about metal.

AS to the methodology of the survey, it is totally bogus. It is more likely that they choose metal as metal in universally know to attract the depressed and anti social and many studies shows that those highly evolved academically as equally retarded socially.

still, cool to discuss....

Personally I laugh at the surveys that show Classical music is the "best music."

I have torn apart these "studies' on Classical forums. You can make a survey/study to come out however you want if you ask questions the right way.

But all these studies and surveys are ignorant from inception. People generally adapt the music of their tribe is in truth what occurs.

Peace

It was not incomplete, it is the officially accepted list hence used by the industry, hence my reply to you (for metal subgenre)

peace
An official list of metal sub-genres? ROFL! You posted that in the right thread...

An official list of metal sub-genres? ROFL! You posted that in the right thread...

why are you being belligerent in tone?

recording companies use classifications hence they need to standardized.

You are still free to make up whatever you like and the lists are always changing.

Good grief, some folks don't know how much it is they don't know.

peace

you can find a study that support global cooling instead of warming too... lol

I laughed my ass off at this line " rhythmic tendencies are the musical equivalent of Einstein's theory of relativity. "

the link to the study is bogus as is the link to National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth

That said, I have read something similar in the past about metal.

AS to the methodology of the survey, it is totally bogus. It is more likely that they choose metal as metal in universally know to attract the depressed and anti social and many studies shows that those highly evolved academically as equally retarded socially.

still, cool to discuss....

Personally I laugh at the surveys that show Classical music is the "best music."

I have torn apart these "studies' on Classical forums. You can make a survey/study to come out however you want if you ask questions the right way.

But all these studies and surveys are ignorant from inception. People generally adapt the music of their tribe is in truth what occurs.

Peace

I have noticed that nerdy types seem to like metal.

Like comic con,brony,furry,and anime types seem to like metal.

Also i heard that IT(information Technology) types like metal.

Last edited:
I've always believed the best way to learn an instrument is to learn classical technique first. In your case, that would be nylon string classical guitar (with the thumb centered on the neck). This would develop your root technique and you can branch off from that. Classical training is a great foundation.

I wonder what you think of the guitarist Luca Turilli.

He used to be in a band called rhapsody of fire , and is now in a group called rhapsody of fire(it's complicated)

He has introduced scales in his music like aeolian,harmonic minor,phrygrian,locrian and melodic minor ,he has also used a Japanese scale known as the Hirajoshi and a Chinese sounding one called the Pentatonic scale. Like if you ever heard Chinese sounding type music in old cartoons, that would be the Pentatonic scale

Last edited:
not songs people can dance to
so live shows are sausage fests without any dancing
ymmv

Correct me if i'm wrong.

But i think there are some chicks/girls/women into metal.

I once at the mall once saw a metalchick with a Iron Maiden t shirt finding a Iron Maiden calendar and she had tattoos.

From another study:

I like instrumentals("worldless music"), but even when I listen to music with lyrics, I don't really pay attention to them. I listen to music for the music, not the lyrics. I've listened to A LOT of songs that I can't say for sure what the subject matter of the lyrics are about, even after 30+ years! There are a lot of songs with lyrics that are difficult to understand, yet I've never bothered taking 30 secs to Google the lyrics. I appreciate a good singer, but I just don't care what they are singing about.

When it comes to music, I'd say that 90% or more of my interest is in what the OTHER musicians are doing, especially the rhythm section.....

I like instrumentals("worldless music"), but even when I listen to music with lyrics, I don't really pay attention to them. I listen to music for the music, not the lyrics. I've listened to A LOT of songs that I can't say for sure what the subject matter of the lyrics are about, even after 30+ years! There are a lot of songs with lyrics that are difficult to understand, yet I've never bothered taking 30 secs to Google the lyrics. I appreciate a good singer, but I just don't care what they are singing about.

When it comes to music, I'd say that 90% or more of my interest is in what the OTHER musicians are doing, especially the rhythm section.....

I often use google translate when i listen to a song in another language other than English.

I wonder if anyone notice that most of pop music doesn't seem to have guitar solos anymore?

Like during the 80's and early 90's you would hear guitar solos in songs by Bryan Adams,a song by Michal Jackson and such.

But looks like guitar solos in pop music have all vanished, and mostly only using basic guitar work and the chords C G F Am E, but when they get to the part where they are supposed to do a guitar solo they just skip the solo.

I saw some video that stated that they feel skipping the guitar solos is about attitude, but i feel that is just a excuse for being lazy and not being able to solo.

I often use google translate when i listen to a song in another language other than English.

I wonder if anyone notice that most of pop music doesn't seem to have guitar solos anymore?

Like during the 80's and early 90's you would hear guitar solos in songs by Bryan Adams,a song by Michal Jackson and such.

But looks like guitar solos in pop music have all vanished, and mostly only using basic guitar work and the chords C G F Am E, but when they get to the part where they are supposed to do a guitar solo they just skip the solo.

I saw some video that stated that they feel skipping the guitar solos is about attitude, but i feel that is just a excuse for being lazy and not being able to solo.

The guitar solo came to an abrupt halt the moment that grunge took over the popular charts in the early to mid 90s. It was ironically labeled "alternative music", despite being the PRIMARY genre on radio! Then "nu-metal" became a thing, but the nu-metal "artists"(Lol) didn't bother incorporating lead guitar solos into their "art"(Lol again), even though it's supposed to be a staple of heavy metal. All in all, it was a disappointment.

In the early 90's, the guitar solo went the way of the giant drum set! All the sudden, drum sets were as small and basic as they could possibly be. Just as sudden, was the switch to DW drum sets by pretty much half the bands in the 90's!

If it were up to me, I would ban the guitar, bass and drums for one decade just to force musicians to realize there are other sounds in the world.

How the guitar became such a dominate instrument I'll never understand.

The guitar solo came to an abrupt halt the moment that grunge took over the popular charts in the early to mid 90s. It was ironically labeled "alternative music", despite being the PRIMARY genre on radio! Then "nu-metal" became a thing, but the nu-metal "artists"(Lol) didn't bother incorporating lead guitar solos into their "art"(Lol again), even though it's supposed to be a staple of heavy metal. All in all, it was a disappointment.

In the early 90's, the guitar solo went the way of the giant drum set! All the sudden, drum sets were as small and basic as they could possibly be. Just as sudden, was the switch to DW drum sets by pretty much half the bands in the 90's!

solo or not... the guitar remained the dominate instrument of the 90's.

Back
Top Bottom