• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stupid Law?

Is this a stupid law...

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Stupid Law... yes or no and why...

California just passed law making buying a non-rescue dog illegal.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/30/us/california-dog-cat-rabbit-sales/index.html

I find this law offensive, stupid and unConstitutional.

This is as stupid as saying that you can only buy two-day old bagels and not new ones because the old bagels are going to waste or that you can only buy new cars instead of old cars because they deserve to be cared for and driven... All it does is punish dog breeders as well as the dogs being bred. There are also rescue dogs that are violent and will not be sold anyway. It is another case of California being a piece of **** state and lawmakers over-extending their authority in the name of sounding virtuous.

This is as stupid as saying that you can only buy two-day old bagels and not new ones because the old bagels are going to waste or that you can only buy new cars instead of old cars because they deserve to be cared for and driven... All it does is punish dog breeders as well as the dogs being bred. There are also rescue dogs that are violent and will not be sold anyway. It is another case of California being a piece of **** state and lawmakers over-extending their authority in the name of sounding virtuous.

Its California dude. My state makes stupid laws all the time.

I am here for about Two months and just came across this one... stupid. I can't wait to leave and go back to sanity...

Also, just got back from the Ram game vs. the 49ers. Great game.

It is a malevolent law, it is not about the animals as the state claims, this is about pushing for conformity, this is about brain molding, this is the state removing freedom from the people because the state has decided how pets will be managed and it will be so, because the experts the state says knows what is best and our job is to do what they say.

The experts run things, not us.

Quality must be sacrificed.

WE HAVE BEEN TOLD

That one sounds odd.

What is the justification behind it?

False. OP article:

Under the law, individuals are still allowed to buy from private breeders, but stores are prohibited from doing so.

In a press release issued at the time, O'Donnell touted the law as an end to "puppy mills" and "kitten factories." California is the first state in the country to introduce such legislation.

O'Donnell called the law a "big win for our four-legged friends" and also for taxpayers, who he said spent more than $250 million a year to house and euthanize shelter animals.

The act specifies that pet store operators can sell dogs, cats and rabbits only from a public animal control agency or shelter, society for the prevention of cruelty to animals shelter, humane society shelter, or rescue group in cooperation with an animal shelter.

What is the justification behind it?

Last edited:
It might be a stupid law. But I don't think it's unconstitutional.

It might be a stupid law. But I don't think it's unconstitutional.

The state spends $250 million per year cleaning up (euthanizing) the puppy mill industry. It has every right to regulate the industry.

ahem

https://www.animalequality.net/node/703

https://www.parliament.nz/resource/...2346/bc944f9444254ae85158582f2bfa8650afe697a0

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10...g-companion-animals-largely-unregulated-in-nz

Last edited:
The state spends $250 million per year cleaning up (euthanizing) the puppy mill industry. It has every right to regulate the industry.

I'm making no claim to whether it's a good law or not. I really don't know anything about the dog breeding industry. I've never had a dog myself. I don't have the requisite information to have an informed opinion.

I do think the state has the power to make this law though, which is all I was trying to say in the preceding post.

Not a stupid law. See post #6.

Pet stores notoriously support puppy mills. My family rescued a puppy mill bitch. She was forced to breed every time she came in season, until she started biting the males they put in her pen. Then the puppy mill operator had no place for her, saying to our friend (who took her first), "You take her or I'll put her down". The friend couldn't keep her so she offered her to us. Three weeks later, she did have puppies and naturally that creature came out of the woodwork to claim them with threats of calling the police. My parents shined her on and we kept them until we could find good homes.

Needless to say, the poor girl was in dreadful shape. Her teeth were green and rotting. The vet pulled nearly all of them. She was spayed as well and that was a horror story. She only lasted another 3 1/2 years (I have no idea how old she was). But those last years were full of love and comfort and being adored.

I applaud this law. Puppy mills, kitten factories and whatever the term is for abusive husbandry of rabbits, are hell on earth for the animals.

I voted no. The way I read the details individuals can still buy from breeders. Pet stores can only buy from shelters or non profit rescue organizations. Perfectly fine animals are euthanized all over America because of over crowding in shelters and lack of funding. California's law has a good chance of saving the lives of many animals that would have been euthanized. If it works in California this idea may spread.

I'm making no claim to whether it's a good law or not. I really don't know anything about the dog breeding industry. I've never had a dog myself. I don't have the requisite information to have an informed opinion.

I do think the state has the power to make this law though, which is all I was trying to say in the preceding post.

The law regulates only pet stores. Not private sales. Pet stores, not private sales, are costing CA taxpayers a quarter billion a year.

The law regulates only pet stores. Not private sales. Pet stores, not private sales, are costing CA taxpayers a quarter billion a year.

I don't see how that relates to my post. I think the law is constitutional. I never claimed it regulates anything more than pet stores.

I don't see how that relates to my post. I think the law is constitutional. I never claimed it regulates anything more than pet stores.

The law could only conceivably be unconstitutional if it regulated private sales. The regulation of an industry creating externalities to that tune is beyond constitutional reproach.

From the comments and the poll results so far, it appears that your attempt to troll has failed

The law could only conceivably be unconstitutional if it regulated private sales. The regulation of an industry creating externalities to that tune is beyond constitutional reproach.

Exactly. Which is why I agree it's constitutional. I don't understand why you're arguing with me like I haven't said that three times.

Exactly. Which is why I agree it's constitutional. I don't understand why you're arguing with me like I haven't said that three times.

I'm wondering how it could be considered unconstitutional.

And my specifications kinda relate to your other claim, that it might be stupid. How's that?

That is a very true statement. They certainly have become the poster child in the test kitchens called the States on what not to do.

I don't know how you could even stand living there.

I'm wondering how it could be considered unconstitutional.

And my specifications kinda relate to your other claim, that it might be stupid. How's that?

I don't know why you're asking me then, since I don't think it is. That's why I posted that I didn't think it was unconstitutional in the first place. I don't see how it could be.

It might be stupid because I don't know anything about it. I'm certainly not going to categorically claim that something is definitely not stupid when I have almost literally no background information concerning it.

That is a very true statement. They certainly have become the poster child in the test kitchens called the States on what not to do.

I don't know how you could even stand living there.

Did a flyover state just make a noise?

Dogs aren’t the same as bagels and anyone who can’t appreciate the difference is an idiot. There aren’t good dogs and bad dogs, there’s only dogs.

Back
Top Bottom