• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Study: World Is Turning More Religious; Atheism Declining

WCH

Believer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

A new study says the world is more religious now than it was four decades ago, and this trend will continue to 2020 and perhaps beyond even as the global share of the nonreligious is likely to witness a sustained decrease.
The percentage of the world that is religious continues to increase, according to the study titled "Christianity In Its Global Context, 1970-2010," conducted by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts.

In 1970, nearly 80 percent of the world's population was religious, and by 2010 this had grown to around 88 percent, with a projected increase to almost 90 percent by 2020, the report states. The growth of religious adherence can largely be attributed to the continuing resurgence of religion in China, it notes.

In 1970, agnostic and atheist populations together claimed 19.2 percent of the world's total population, largely due to communism in Eastern Europe and China. However, after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, large numbers of the nonreligious returned to religion

So less Commies in the world equals less Atheists ...who woulda thunk?

Imagine that, a study done by a Christian organization says that the world is becoming more religious.

Christianity is growing in places where people are now free or somewhat free to practice it now. I imagine other religions are as well.

Imagine that, a study done by a Christian organization says that the world is becoming more religious.

It does make sense though, considering the decline of the athiest states like the USSR and Red China. Or rather I should say the decline of China's anti-religious policies, the country itself nor the party running it isn't going anywhere.

Imagine that... a very liberal atheist that doesn't believe the study. ;)

People in China and Russia weren't really atheists. They simply kept their mouth shut and towed the party line because they feared persecution. What has changed in the current studies is that they are willing to admit their true beliefs. Its definitely good news for human rights and ability of people to worship as they choose, but its not really an increase on the number of faithful.

To track Atheism and non-belief is extremely difficult, honestly, considering many government ban or discriminate against atheism and athiests. And while there has been many studies over the years which claim the destruction of atheism and non-belief in the world, there is always one opposing study to match that, and another to trump it. For example: the Eurobarometer study in 2005 showed that 18 percent of Europeans did not believe in a god, deity or life force. the most recent ARIS report, of 2009 showed that 15% of Americans claimed they had no religion. Now, while this is not quite the world, Europe, and America are two of the largest population blocks in the world.

Like I said, this is very hard to study and there are a wide range of statistics. Don't accept just one study.

Christianity is growing rapidly in Turkey (as an example). We have a missionary from there who'd explained about the rapid growth.

No wonder the Turkish Environment and Urbanism Minister had put his own spin on it! :lol:

"Christianity is no longer a religion. It's a culture now."
RELIGION - Christianity no longer a religion, says Turkish minister

I have no problem with the word, culture! In fact, I like it better!

Hallelujah!

Last edited:
Thank God religious belief isn't associated with violence or there might be a correlation between it and the rising tide of civil unrest in the world.

Wait . . .

So less Commies in the world equals less Atheists ...who woulda thunk?

How quaint -- commies.

I mean it's almost as if you think the Eastern Orthodox church and Confusians took Russia and China from 90% illiteracy to almost 100% literacy in just a few decades.

A new study says the world is more religious now than it was four decades ago, and this trend will continue to 2020 and perhaps beyond even as the global share of the nonreligious is likely to witness a sustained decrease.
The percentage of the world that is religious continues to increase, according to the study titled "Christianity In Its Global Context, 1970-2010," conducted by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts.

In 1970, nearly 80 percent of the world's population was religious, and by 2010 this had grown to around 88 percent, with a projected increase to almost 90 percent by 2020, the report states. The growth of religious adherence can largely be attributed to the continuing resurgence of religion in China, it notes.

In 1970, agnostic and atheist populations together claimed 19.2 percent of the world's total population, largely due to communism in Eastern Europe and China. However, after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, large numbers of the nonreligious returned to religion

I never cease to be amazed by some things. In 54 years on this planet, as well read, educated, and travelled that I might be, I have never been polled. I go to India in a few days, and wonder how many of the thousands I might encounter if they had anything to do with such a poll.

People becoming more religious. Think for a moment about the question itself. It speaks not if people believe in a god, only about an institution created my a few people to organize wealth, power, and resources around a few in order to contain a many.

People you say are growing in belief for this? Interesting.

I never cease to be amazed by some things. In 54 years on this planet, as well read, educated, and travelled that I might be, I have never been polled. I go to India in a few days, and wonder how many of the thousands I might encounter if they had anything to do with such a poll.

People becoming more religious. Think for a moment about the question itself. It speaks not if people believe in a god, only about an institution created my a few people to organize wealth, power, and resources around a few in order to contain a many.

People you say are growing in belief for this? Interesting.
First of all, I'm a Christian and don't subscribe to any institution or church. It's strictly my personal belief in a simple carpenter.

This was a study (ongoing) not simply a poll.

If you want to be knowledgeable and well-read on this subject. Here you go:

http://wwwgordonconwell.com/netcommunity/CSGCResources/ChristianityinitsGlobalContext.pdf

First of all, I'm a Christian and don't subscribe to any institution or church. It's strictly my personal belief in a simple carpenter.

This was a study (ongoing) not simply a poll.

If you want to be knowledgeable and well-read on this subject. Here you go:

http://wwwgordonconwell.com/netcommunity/CSGCResources/ChristianityinitsGlobalContext.pdf

I spent this past February walking for a month across Israel, the Holy Land. I even spent 5 days sleeping, walking, eating, and meditating on the Mount of Beatitudes, where Jesus gave his Sermon of the Mount. I was fortunate, in that the sisters took me in after learning that I had been walking the trail tracing Jesus ministry from Galilee. Under their roof I stayed. I really do want to believe, but, I realize their are all too many people who stand ready to take away all the goodness that holy men of the past attempted to give to us. In religion they have slaughtered tens of millions.

So, forgive me, when I am skeptical of any polls that say people are becoming more religious. I would rather see polls that simply state people are oppressing, killing, raping, stealing, and taking from others less and less.

I spent this past February walking for a month across Israel, the Holy Land. I even spent 5 days sleeping, walking, eating, and meditating on the Mount of Beatitudes, where Jesus gave his Sermon of the Mount. I was fortunate, in that the sisters took me in after learning that I had been walking the trail tracing Jesus ministry from Galilee. Under their roof I stayed. I really do want to believe, but, I realize their are all too many people who stand ready to take away all the goodness that holy men of the past attempted to give to us. In religion they have slaughtered tens of millions.

So, forgive me, when I am skeptical of any polls that say people are becoming more religious. I would rather see polls that simply state people are oppressing, killing, raping, stealing, and taking from others less and less.

I think it's wonderful you got to experience such a journey and hope it brought you closer to a personal relationship with your chosen high power.

What you state about people using religion to have power and control over others is the main reason I don't attend or support the institution. Nor do I believe it's necessary to achieve ones spiritual goals.

As with most beauty on this planet, the greedy and powerful have metastasized it into something ugly.

I think it's wonderful you got to experience such a journey and hope it brought you closer to a personal relationship with your chosen high power.

What you state about people using religion to have power and control over others is the main reason I don't attend or support the institution. Nor do I believe it's necessary to achieve ones spiritual goals.

As with most beauty on this planet, the greedy and powerful have metastasized it into something ugly.

Well said.

Human nature has a natural inclination towards religion from what I can tell, this doesn't surprise me.

Imagine that... a very liberal atheist that doesn't believe the study. ;)

You must admit there is a good chance this source is a little bias.

The new poll called Global Index of Religion and Atheism, by WIN/Gallup International which measures self-perceptions on the beliefs on global level, indicated that 13 percent of the world population identified themselves as atheists. Around half of the Chinese population comprised of non-believers. The poll indicated that in the United States, religiosity was declining notably.

Global Index of Religion and Atheism Report: Number of Atheists Increased on Global Level

So now what do we do??

You must admit there is a good chance this source is a little bias.

Possibly, but since the explanation for the findings is fairly straight forward -- 1.3 billion forced atheists suddenly having a choice in the last 30 years would naturally lead to a rise in religious beliefs world wide -- I find the attempt to deny common sense on the grounds of "bias" is really the more insidious form of bias at play here.

I hope that means there is a decrease of religious justifications for violence and zealotry too ... because if that's the case, I'd say it's good news.

We could need more people who are inspired by religion to become better people. But we don't need more people attacking others who hold different beliefs.

I hope that means there is a decrease of religious justifications for violence and zealotry too ... because if that's the case, I'd say it's good news.

We could need more people who are inspired by religion to become better people. But we don't need more people attacking others who hold different beliefs.

I have to agree, a religious asshole is still an asshole.

I wonder what impact the internet has on the world cultures. I'll guess it reduces nationalistic barriers but as far as religion goes I can't offer a guess. The absurdity of aetheism is it professes to know where as believing in a higher diety is based on a faith.

The absurdity of aetheism is it professes to know where as believing in a higher diety is based on a faith.

Atheist don't claim to know whether or not there is a god(s), they simply state that there is no quantitive or scientific data to support the existence of a god.

Atheists are in essence skeptical of religious dogma and the claims of such.

Back
Top Bottom