• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study: tRump appeals to men who suffer from fragile masculinity

Here's a few after looking over their "research" aka a Washington Post article.

To validate this list of topics, we asked a sample of 300 men on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk platform whether they ever had or ever would search for them online. We found that scoring high on a questionnaire measuring “masculine gender-role discrepancy stress” — concern that they aren’t as manly as their male friends — was strongly associated with interest in these search topics. Although these men were not a representative sample of American men, their responses suggest that these search terms are a valid way to capture fragile masculinity.

Read the last sentence.

First, the research reported here is correlational. We can’t be entirely sure that fragile masculinity is causing people to vote in a certain way. However, given that experimental work has identified a causal connection between masculinity concerns and political beliefs, we think the correlations we’ve identified are important.

Another good one.

Second, it remains to be seen whether any link between fragile masculinity and voting will persist after Trump exits the national stage. We suspect, however, that Trump’s re-engineering of the GOP as a party inextricably tied to many Americans’ identity concerns — whether based on race, religion or gender — will ensure that fragile masculinity remains a force in politics.

Another great piece.

So basically, you have two "researchers" who wrote a Washington Post article. They leave out entirely if they searched for other terms, or how often these terms came up compared to other searches. They admit entirely that half of their guess work when interviewing random men was not an accurate sample of males. It would be interesting to see what kind of searches were made by people in areas that voted for Clinton. I am sure there are plenty of embarrassing things in those lists as well.

ten+ years ago, Hillary appeared to be the candidate for the Dem party. The "Great Moderate" the late David Border, noted (predicting at the time a Hillary candidacy) that the ascension of Hillary proved that the Democratic Party had become the "anti masculine values" party and it was running against masculine values. While Broder died before Hillary finally became the Dem Candidate, his arguments were as sound then as they are now. What masculine values did Hillary push?

OK kids, let's recap. We have:

1. An OP that talks about fragile masculinity.
2. A bunch of males posting defensive reactions instead of actually addressing the study in a rational manner.

:shrug:

You are showing the same lack of logic or reading from the crazed article in the OP.

Defensive implies anyone has done anything but shoot down the idiocy of the original "article". Repeatedly weaknesses have been shown, failures of investigation, failure to show any true correlation. Pretty much all responses I've seen come from non-Trump voters.

Mostly I see a desperate attempt to make a point, inability to accept criticism or think critically, and support of Trump by making his detractors seem every bit as desperate as his supporters.

Good luck with that. You aren't insightful or making the point you really seem to think you are.

ten+ years ago, Hillary appeared to be the candidate for the Dem party. The "Great Moderate" the late David Border, noted (predicting at the time a Hillary candidacy) that the ascension of Hillary proved that the Democratic Party had become the "anti masculine values" party and it was running against masculine values. While Broder died before Hillary finally became the Dem Candidate, his arguments were as sound then as they are now. What masculine values did Hillary push?

Well she could always "pull" off a nice pant suit. That's kinda masculine.

Here's a few after looking over their "research" aka a Washington Post article.

To validate this list of topics, we asked a sample of 300 men on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk platform whether they ever had or ever would search for them online. We found that scoring high on a questionnaire measuring “masculine gender-role discrepancy stress” — concern that they aren’t as manly as their male friends — was strongly associated with interest in these search topics. Although these men were not a representative sample of American men, their responses suggest that these search terms are a valid way to capture fragile masculinity.

Read the last sentence.

First, the research reported here is correlational. We can’t be entirely sure that fragile masculinity is causing people to vote in a certain way. However, given that experimental work has identified a causal connection between masculinity concerns and political beliefs, we think the correlations we’ve identified are important.

Another good one.

Second, it remains to be seen whether any link between fragile masculinity and voting will persist after Trump exits the national stage. We suspect, however, that Trump’s re-engineering of the GOP as a party inextricably tied to many Americans’ identity concerns — whether based on race, religion or gender — will ensure that fragile masculinity remains a force in politics.

Another great piece.

So basically, you have two "researchers"

Was going to entertain your post until I came to that.

Who gave you the authority to decide who is a researcher and who isn't? We don't get to play armchair quarterback and have the right for our opinions to land in the same field of play as those of the experts. Seems to me you're more upset with the OP than you are learning about what it has to say. A pathetically predictable response.

Who gave you the authority to decide who is a researcher and who isn't? We don't get to play armchair quarterback and have the right for our opinions to land in the same field of play as those of the experts. Seems to me you're more upset with the OP than you are learning about what it has to say. A pathetically predictable response.

given the way those two "studied" things it is pretty obvious they started with a goal and worked backwards to achieve it

You don't have to be an expert when the bibliography spends more time disclaiming the things they didn't bother to do than what they actually found. Nice try, tho.

Find something where experts were involved and we can see how hard that is to dispute.

So I give you criticisms of the article and their work and you ignore it and deflect. Well, I would be lying if I expected you to not be dishonest, but that is one of the most pathetic attempts to defend what you post on this forum. Why make threads about topics if you aren't going to defend what you believe?

You are showing the same lack of logic or reading from the crazed article in the OP.

Pointing out defensiveness is defensiveness. Riiiight.

If the correlation in the study is in fact not there, then I am more than happy to acknowledge that. But all I've seen so far in response to it is a bunch of keyboard warring which, again, was entirely to be expected.

You don't have to be an expert when the bibliography spends more time disclaiming the things they didn't bother to do than what they actually found. Nice try, tho.

Find something where experts were involved and we can see how hard that is to dispute.

You mean, the writers were open about the limitations of the study? Oh noes, the horrors!

Pointing out defensiveness is defensiveness. Riiiight.

If the correlation in the study is in fact not there, then I am more than happy to acknowledge that. But all I've seen so far in response to it is a bunch of keyboard warring which, again, was entirely to be expected.

You are not happy to admit it. It's been shown to you many times. All you've done is prove you are not interested in discussing the topic. You just want to try and troll and don't realize the people laughing are not WITH you.

You mean, the writers were open about the limitations of the study? Oh noes, the horrors!

They failed to prove anything and still published. That's not admitting limitations. That's obfuscation. You should be familiar with that after what you've posted in this thread.

So I give you criticisms of the article and their work and you ignore it and deflect. Well, I would be lying if I expected you to not be dishonest, but that is one of the most pathetic attempts to defend what you post on this forum. Why make threads about topics if you aren't going to defend what you believe?

That's a "when will you stop beating your wife?" question if I ever heard one.

The problem here, ajn, is that you believe that you are entitled to the same level of discourse as the people who did the study. That wrecks this dialogue from the get-go. Nothing good can come from that. You and some of the others here act as if they actually have something of value to contribute here without even attempting to establish their credentials, which matter here.

Until that gets fixed, this discussion can't even get off the ground. But again, the kind of defensiveness on display here just makes my point for me. :shrug:

I have to say. This thread is trying so hard to troll people that I'm starting to wonder about their confidence in their masculinity.

I just want to say .. It's okay. We will treat you like a whole person! You don't have to try so hard.

You are not happy to admit it. It's been shown to you many times. All you've done is prove you are not interested in discussing the topic.

You can just stop right there.

Go read my response to ajn. You're completely unwilling to even consider that the article just might possibly have a grain of truth in it. But no. No no no. "The article is 'stupid.'" "The search results were rigged." Those are paraphrases of the claims that you yourself put forth onto the table.

So try the projection with someone who's not going to fall for it.

I have to say. This thread is trying so hard to troll people that I'm starting to wonder about their confidence in their masculinity.

I just want to say .. It's okay. We will treat you like a whole person! You don't have to try so hard.

And there they are. The personal insults. Was wondering what the holdup was!

That's a "when will you stop beating your wife?" question if I ever heard one.

The problem here, ajn, is that you believe that you are entitled to the same level of discourse as the people who did the study. That wrecks this dialogue from the get-go. Nothing good can come from that. You and some of the others here act as if they actually have something of value to contribute here without even attempting to establish their credentials, which matter here.

Until that gets fixed, this discussion can't even get off the ground. But again, the kind of defensiveness on display here just makes my point for me. :shrug:

The only one who is acting defensive is you. You created a thread hoping it would bait people. People laugh at the study you provide. People point out flaws they even admit in their own article. And you just continue to deflect.

Let me put it this way. If these frauds thought this was a legitimate study, they wouldn't be posting it on the Washington Post.

The only one who is acting defensive is you.

no you.

You created a thread hoping it would bait people.

Wrong. The only mistake I made was having higher expectations for this discussion. But I suppose I need the occasional reminder that not everyone is ready for it. Ah well, the sun will still come up in the morning. :shrug:

You can just stop right there.

Go read my response to ajn. You're completely unwilling to even consider that the article just might possibly have a grain of truth in it. But no. No no no. "The article is 'stupid.'" "The search results were rigged." Those are paraphrases of the claims that you yourself put forth onto the table.

So try the projection with someone who's not going to fall for it.

And there they are. The personal insults. Was wondering what the holdup was!

Wow, you really are upset by this. You can be confident as a person! Just reread the entire thread debunking the crazed article, their sources, and all the follow-up. Believe it or not, the world does hold respect for someone willing to admit they were wrong.

I read the articles, your responses, and everything else here. Well, the one exception being the article that actually wanted money to tell me what they think with the hundreds of better free sites out there. I wish you would show the same respect to the responses you were given instead of wishing they were really defensive knee-jerk reactions.

The only one who is acting defensive is you. You created a thread hoping it would bait people. People laugh at the study you provide. People point out flaws they even admit in their own article. And you just continue to deflect.

Let me put it this way. If these frauds thought this was a legitimate study, they wouldn't be posting it on the Washington Post.

Where should they post it? The daily cuckold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

given the way those two "studied" things it is pretty obvious they started with a goal and worked backwards to achieve it

How dare they use the scientific method!!!

Wow, you really are upset by this. You can be confident as a person!

Sorry, that trick didn't work earlier and won't work now.

Just reread the entire thread debunking the crazed article, their sources, and all the follow-up. Believe it or not, the world does hold respect for someone willing to admit they were wrong.

I read the articles, your responses, and everything else here. Well, the one exception being the article that actually wanted money to tell me what they think with the hundreds of better free sites out there. I wish you would show the same respect to the responses you were given instead of wishing they were really defensive knee-jerk reactions.

If what the study was saying is wrong, then there should be another reliable study or two out there that says something very different. So instead of flailing, can you produce that study? Would be the best way to check the OP.

I mean this seriously. Where in the world did they actually apply the scientific method or the Socratic method or anything approaching true discussion/research? The leaps and bounds of logic they did make me wonder if they are still capable of standing.

they term things like searching hair loss or ED issues as "fragile masculinity"/ any scientific proof of that?

they term things like searching hair loss or ED issues as "fragile masculinity"/ any scientific proof of that?

Seems to fit a general criteria but I'm sure tucker Carlson will tell you otherwise.

I didn't know you were an expert on gender. How long have you studied it?

Back
Top Bottom