• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study: tRump appeals to men who suffer from fragile masculinity

Its linked in this thread in the op and in the Washington post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

110% false. Either a lie or you didn't even bother to fact check.

lets think this through

what group in terms of the sexes was the biggest supporter of hillary

Single women

Married women were more likely to vote for Trump than single women

how would you rank people in terms of strong masculine feelings among these groups

Single Women, Married Women, Married Men, Single Men

now if we place single women as having the least ties to masculine feelings or values and they are the most likely to vote for clinton, doesn't that sort of undercut this hackish study you came up with?

Turtle? Turtle? You did read the OP, right? You did focus on the weird internet searches that these allegedly fragile males conducted, right?

I'm just trying to see if you can get through this simple stuff first.

And there it is. Critiquing = "attacking." There's the admission that I was waiting for.

No no no, you don't get to flip this around. Everyone else was critiquing the article, and you started saying they were deflecting men.

Turtle? Turtle? You did read the OP, right? You did focus on the weird internet searches that these allegedly fragile males conducted, right?

I'm just trying to see if you can get through this simple stuff first.

I am waiting for you -you-to prove that those searches established "fragile masculine values" that the two leftwing "researchers" claimed.

You are two years late with that assessment. But nice try.

Also, did you even notice that earlier in this article I tossed in a study which said the very same thing and came out before the 2016 election? So I've got two studies going in this thread from very different time frames that say the same thing. All you guys are doing is trying to figuratively shoot the messenger because you do not like the message, no matter how much you insist to the contrary. Happens every time discussions such as these come up.

Not a single person did this. We all attacked the article and quality of their research. Stop lying.

No no no, you don't get to flip this around. Everyone else was critiquing the article, and you started saying they were deflecting men.

Deflecting men? Sounds like something straight out of a video game. Or is this some new spin on "Raining Men"? :mrgreen:

Not a single person did this. We all attacked the article and quality of their research. Stop lying.

Oh, riiiigghhht, when you go after the messenger, you're critiquing him and the article, but when I'm the one firing off critiques, we hear this:

You're literally the one attacking people that pose problems with the study.

And there it is, the double standard on full display.

See this is why we can't get anywhere. You have absolutely no desire whatsoever to look at the article and think about what it's saying. You've been defensive the whole time, and when you get defensive, you make mistakes like that. You could have just gone and look for studies that refute the one in the OP, but it's pretty clear that that was way too much to ask of you. :shrug:

I am waiting for you -you-to prove that those searches established "fragile masculine values" that the two leftwing "researchers" claimed.

Well it sounds like you've got the whole article figured out! Tell me, Turtle: How come I was able to produce two studies that produced very similar results and your side was able to produce none? Seems like you guys are arguing a lot from nothing.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/trump-appeals-men-suffer-fragile-masculinity-psychologists/

(note: there is a link in there to the story in the Washington Post, but it is behind a paywall.)

Also important to note is that the research found less of a correlation between fragile masculinity and support for McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012.

Maybe this was already asked, Phys251, but what exactly is "fragile masculinity," by the article's definition? Because to have "fragile masculinity," shouldn't there be something such as prototypical masculinity, or "durable masculinity" to compare it against? So how do men whose masculinity is "fragile" compare with men whose masculinity is "durable"?

Maybe this was already asked, Phys251, but what exactly is "fragile masculinity," by the article's definition? Because to have "fragile masculinity," shouldn't there be something such as prototypical masculinity, or "durable masculinity" to compare it against? So how do men whose masculinity is "fragile" compare with men whose masculinity is "durable"?

Nicely put. Good question.

Well it sounds like you've got the whole article figured out! Tell me, Turtle: How come I was able to produce two studies that produced very similar results and your side was able to produce none? Seems like you guys are arguing a lot from nothing.

mainly because the people who engage in producing such idiotic studies are people who supported Hillary and want to denigrate Trump supporters.

its funny that Hillary appealed strongly to anti-male women and men with strong masculine images. Makes no sense to me but then again, I understand why men who voted for Hillary want to pretend they are more masculine than men who voted for Trump

Quoting directly from the WaPo article:

Research shows that many men feel pressure to look and behave in stereotypically masculine ways — or risk losing their status as “real men.” Masculine expectations are socialized from early childhood and can motivate men to embrace traditional male behaviors while avoiding even the hint of femininity. This unforgiving standard of maleness makes some men worry that they’re falling short. These men are said to experience “fragile masculinity.”

There's even a link there: psycnet.apa.org/record/2008-16429-006

It's worth noting that we'd be here for days if we wanted a more thorough discussion of what fragile masculinity is. Gender itself is no simple topic.

mainly because the people who engage in producing such idiotic studies are people who supported Hillary and want to denigrate Trump supporters.

Yup, shoot dat messenger. Worked back in the good old days, amirite?

Deflecting men? Sounds like something straight out of a video game. Or is this some new spin on "Raining Men"? :mrgreen:

Oh, riiiigghhht, when you go after the messenger, you're critiquing him and the article, but when I'm the one firing off critiques, we hear this:

And there it is, the double standard on full display.

See this is why we can't get anywhere. You have absolutely no desire whatsoever to look at the article and think about what it's saying. You've been defensive the whole time, and when you get defensive, you make mistakes like that. You could have just gone and look for studies that refute the one in the OP, but it's pretty clear that that was way too much to ask of you. :shrug:

I already did read the article and thought about it. I showed you clear examples of questions that we would ask of any reasonable study. You then complained that no one was giving any valid complaints and then when you finally responded to my questioning, you said you were going to ignore it. This is a real bad look for you.

You produced a ****ing Washington Post article. That is not a study, no matter how many times you want to pretend it is.

I already did read the article and thought about it. I showed you clear examples of questions that we would ask of any reasonable study.

And yet again, who gave you the authority to determine what is reasonable and what is not? Who made you the judge of what constitutes a good study? Who made you the expert here? You can't just go after a research study and pretend that you're equal to the people who ran it when you have yet to establish any willingness to have a decent debate, let alone establish expertise on the matter. The answers you seek are right there in front of you but you steadfastly refuse them because you do not like them.

You produced a ****ing Washington Post article. That is not a study, no matter how many times you want to pretend it is.

Again with the shooting the messenger. Aren't you guys running out of bullets?

And yet again, who gave you the authority to determine what is reasonable and what is not? Who made you the judge of what constitutes a good study? Who made you the expert here? You can't just go after a research study and pretend that you're equal to the people who ran it when you have yet to establish any willingness to have a decent debate, let alone establish expertise on the matter. The answers you seek are right there in front of you but you steadfastly refuse them because you do not like them.

Again with the shooting the messenger. Aren't you guys running out of bullets?

I knew this after your first reply, but this entire thread is just an appeal to authority with you attempting to deflect any criticisms that people have against the article in question. I am gonna go do other things at this point since you are unwilling to discuss anything that anyone brought up. Have fun pretending you are winning. :peace

I knew this after your first reply, but this entire thread is just an appeal to authority

Appeals to authority are perfectly valid when dealing with inductive logic. They are only deductive logical flaws. But nice try on that one as well.

The study is not linked in the op. The article in the OP is reporting what allegedly reported I the Washington Post article. I haven't read the Washington Post article, however I can safely assume it is not the study they published but rather a story about the study.

It's linked in the article. Amazing what headline clickbait culture is doing to this generation. Phys even told you in the OP.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/trump-appeals-men-suffer-fragile-masculinity-psychologists/

(note: there is a link in there to the story in the Washington Post, but it is behind a paywall.)

Also important to note is that the research found less of a correlation between fragile masculinity and support for McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012.
It sounds like it was written by insecure people to make themselves feel better about losing

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yup, shoot dat messenger. Worked back in the good old days, amirite?

you seem confused-this is not some earth shattering mainstream finding that you are merely reporting. Rather its a hack hit piece that you pushed for the same reasons the clowns who wrote it did-to attack Trump supporters while trying to suggest men who voted for Hillary are more masculine than those who didn't. So yes, "attacking the messenger" is hardly out of line

Appeals to authority are perfectly valid when dealing with inductive logic. They are only deductive logical flaws. But nice try on that one as well.

Entirely false, don't even begin to argue this way as you are at great odds to look completely out of your element.

Rawstory linked to the story in the Wash Post. You fail

You said they published it in a journal and the link was in the article. This is not at all true. Please attempt to not lie next time.

Back
Top Bottom