• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study Shows Rapid Warming On the West Antarctic Ice Sheet

Catawba

Disappointed Evolutionist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Dec. 23, 2012 — "In a discovery that raises further concerns about the future contribution of Antarctica to sea level rise, a new study finds that the western part of the ice sheet is experiencing nearly twice as much warming as previously thought.

The temperature record from Byrd Station, a scientific outpost in the center of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS), demonstrates a marked increase of 4.3 degrees Fahrenheit (2.4 degrees Celsius) in average annual temperature since 1958 -- that is, three times faster than the average temperature rise around the globe.
This temperature increase is nearly double what previous research has suggested, and reveals -- for the first time -- warming trends during the summer months of the Southern Hemisphere (December through February), said David Bromwich, professor of geography at Ohio State University and senior research scientist at the Byrd Polar Research Center. West Antarctica is changing a lot quicker than previously thought
The findings were published online this week in the journal Nature Geoscience."

Study shows rapid warming on the West Antarctic ice sheet

There would be a lot more credibility to the Global Warning routine if Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi and T. boone Pickens hadn't set themselves up to be poised to make a fortune off of the worldwide scare that never materialized. Not to mention a few lies and coverups by the liberal university participating "scientists."

There would be a lot more credibility to the Global Warning routine if Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi and T. boone Pickens hadn't set themselves up to be poised to make a fortune off of the worldwide scare that never materialized. Not to mention a few lies and coverups by the liberal university participating "scientists."

Gore, Pelosi et al. are completely irrelevant. The most important thing is that hundreds and hundreds of scientists have come up with per-reviewed, factual evidence that there is significant climate change in recent years, and that all evidence points to manmade factors being involved.

Whenever I read the latest OMG the sky is falling global warmer post I always wonder, so what's your point? Obama is on your side but takes two 727 jets to Hawaii to go on vacation. When I see you people walk the walk I will pay more attention when you talk the talk. Until then I consider you panic stricken hypocrite alarmist that are so full of s*** that I can smell you coming a mile away.

What does Al Gore have to do with this research?

Dec. 23, 2012 — "In a discovery that raises further concerns about the future contribution of Antarctica to sea level rise, a new study finds that the western part of the ice sheet is experiencing nearly twice as much warming as previously thought.

The temperature record from Byrd Station, a scientific outpost in the center of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS), demonstrates a marked increase of 4.3 degrees Fahrenheit (2.4 degrees Celsius) in average annual temperature since 1958 -- that is, three times faster than the average temperature rise around the globe.
This temperature increase is nearly double what previous research has suggested, and reveals -- for the first time -- warming trends during the summer months of the Southern Hemisphere (December through February), said David Bromwich, professor of geography at Ohio State University and senior research scientist at the Byrd Polar Research Center. West Antarctica is changing a lot quicker than previously thought
The findings were published online this week in the journal Nature Geoscience."

Study shows rapid warming on the West Antarctic ice sheet

I've got a far larger bunch of cherries to pick from and you'll find dozens of them here

Is there global cooling? The answer might not be what you expected. - Home

Gore, Pelosi et al. are completely irrelevant. The most important thing is that hundreds and hundreds of scientists have come up with per-reviewed, factual evidence that there is significant climate change in recent years, and that all evidence points to manmade factors being involved.

Please present that evidence.

That's nice. Where I live hasn't gotten snow since 1979, when it used to get snow at least once ever few years.

I was hoping to have a winter here this year like the one we had last year. In previous years, it would snow hard enough to shovel about three times. Last year, not even once.

This year, it snowed about a week ago and yesterday i shoveled about a foot of Global warming off my driveway.

All things considered, I'm in favor of Global Warming.

Please present that evidence.

Here you go!

Powell-Science-Pie-Chart.png

Guest | Why Climate Deniers Have No Scientific Credibility - In One Pie Chart

The only thing having no credibility is the activist blogsite you got that from which cites a geologist with no expertise whatsoever in climate science so I'll take it with a pinch of salt all the same thanks

Popular Technology.net: The Truth about DeSmogBlog

Unlike your oft quoted pie chart I can actually provide links to ones that support my position and oh look ..... theres a whole lot more than 24 too ! :lol:

Popular Technology.net: 1100+ Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skeptic Arguments Against ACC/AGW Alarm

Last edited:
The only thing having no credibility is the activist blogsite you got that from which cites a geologist with no expertise whatsoever in climate science so I'll take it with a pinch of salt all the same thanks

Popular Technology.net: The Truth about DeSmogBlog

Unlike your oft quoted pie chart I can actually provide links to ones that support my position and oh look ..... theres a whole lot more than 24 too ! :lol:

Popular Technology.net: 1100+ Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skeptic Arguments Against ACC/AGW Alarm

Let's see any proof that refutes the assessment that only a sliver of peer reviewed science say man's contribution is not a factor in climate change.

Let's see any proof that refutes the assessment that only a sliver of peer reviewed science say man's contribution is not a factor in climate change.

There are doubtless thousands of things that are a factor in climate change. Its being able to empirically establish the significance of those individual factors that is completely beyond us today. Thats where the politics transcends the science and why we get the mythology of the AGW hypothesis existing :(

I want to know why "global warming" suddenly became "climate change?"

Because locally, it IS climate change. In a world that is warming (or cooling) overall, some areas will get warmer, and some areas will get cooler. Thus locally it is more accurate to say climate change.

Globally, we have warming. Locally we have climate change. Hopefully that is not too dynamic a system for people to 'get', but I begin to wonder after seeing SOOOOO MANY not get even these simple concepts. It isn't that they think its untrue, it is that they can't understand the concepts, and how they would interact IF they turn out to be true.

I want to know why "global warming" suddenly became "climate change?"

It didn't. Both terms have been used for decades. Next question.

Because it increases the odds of scaring people, without having to prove a claim. ;)

Would it prove the claim of climate change if researchers showed:

• Temperatures are going up in some places
  • Temperatures are declining in some places
  • Temperatures are going up overall
  • Ocean levels are rising
  • Permanent ice structures are retreating in some places
  • Permanent ice structures are advancing in some places
  • Permanent ice structures are retreating overall
  • Carbon Dioxide retains more heat than other atmospheric gasses
  • Carbon Dioxide has increased as a percentage of atmospheric gasses.
  • Increases in Carbon Dioxide have correlated with increases in overall global temperatures for a very long long time.

If researchers showed strong evidence for all of the above, would this convince you? If not, what would?

That must be nice. Warmer is better. I hope the world does get a few degrees warmer, I'm not much of a winter person.

So which 3 billion people should die of starvation because crops begin to fail, and we can't feed everyone?

There are doubtless thousands of things that are a factor in climate change. Its being able to empirically establish the significance of those individual factors that is completely beyond us today. Thats where the politics transcends the science and why we get the mythology of the AGW hypothesis existing :(

You did not answer the question:

"Let's see any proof that refutes the assessment that only a sliver of peer reviewed science say man's contribution is not a factor in climate change.

Back
Top Bottom