• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Study proves snotty kids grow up to be conservatives

PerryLogan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
A new study at Berkeley proves what we all knew all along--snotty, whiny kind grow up to be conservatives. The cool kids become liberals.

This information will help us weed out incipient conservatives before they get old enough to screw up the country.

Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative.

At least, he did if he was one of 95 kids from the Berkeley area that social scientists have been tracking for the last 20 years. The confident, resilient, self-reliant kids mostly grew up to be liberals.

The study from the Journal of Research Into Personality isn't going to make the UC Berkeley professor who published it any friends on the right. Similar conclusions a few years ago from another academic saw him excoriated on right-wing blogs, and even led to a Congressional investigation into his research funding.

But the new results are worth a look. In the 1960s Jack Block and his wife and fellow professor Jeanne Block (now deceased) began tracking more than 100 nursery school kids as part of a general study of personality. The kids' personalities were rated at the time by teachers and assistants who had known them for months. There's no reason to think political bias skewed the ratings — the investigators were not looking at political orientation back then. Even if they had been, it's unlikely that 3- and 4-year-olds would have had much idea about their political leanings.

A few decades later, Block followed up with more surveys, looking again at personality, and this time at politics, too. The whiny kids tended to grow up conservative, and turned into rigid young adults who hewed closely to traditional gender roles and were uncomfortable with ambiguity.

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554

Last edited:
Yay more bait and bash. Now ostensibly cloaked in the
academese. Can't ever have enough of "teh c0n5 suxx0rs" threads. YAY!

T-minuse 10 seconds until the right start bashing the intellectuals...

EDIT: Whoops, it already started.

PerryLogan said:
A new study at Berkeley proves what we all knew all along--snotty, whiny kind grow up to be conservatives. The cool kids become liberals.

This information will help us weed out incipient conservatives before they get old enough to screw up the country.

:rofl

Berkley?!! Could you have possibly picked a more biased source? :lol:

Who would even conduct such a study except the class warfare-hysterical, psychotically liberal establishment at Berkley?

What HAS been demonstrated repeatedly by studies from places that DO actually have an iota or two of credibility is that people in general-not snotty whiny kids specifically-grow up to be conservative. People get more conservative with age. That is just a fact. This thread you've created is another steaming load of spin. Hmmmm...let me think...people start out uneducated and liberal...with more experience, education, age, and responsibility people become conservatives. That should tell you something. ;)

Snotty? Whiny? Those are liberal traits anyway. Want detailed proof that Democrats are actually the ones who represent ultra-wealthy, elitist snobs (as if Arianna Huffington, John Kerry, and Ted Kennedy didn't already make that clear enough)?

Go to the intro to "Democrats are for the Rich." The numbers don't lie.

Again, nice try at peddling petty, baseless partisan smears. :roll:

Last edited:
Thanks for proving my point again. Top o' the mornin' to ya!

This thread was started to inflame. Down to the basement you go! :2wave:

So some snotty whiney kids grow up to be Republicans huh? You know how many non-conformist kids grow up to be criminals and felons. Guess who those idiots vote for? :rofl :rofl :2wave:

PerryLogan said:

Have you considered that your post is snotty and whiny? The cool kids become liberal? You're liberal and you're not cool. You don't have your own material. And the shi*t that might be yours sucks. Like that 20 gun reasons, please. Was that yours? Snotty and whiny? Have you visited your web site? A big whining snot fest. Funny is cool. Chicks dig funny. You're not funny. You're petulant. And elitist. I bet you jerk off with an extended pinky finger. You've probably never sat down to eat with less than 5 utensiles at a place setting, and that's for a cup of coffee. Winning a smack off is cool. You can't even get one started. Coming up with your own shi*t is cool. You are a link boy. Pointing something out on the web that you read makes you just...well...redundent, repetative, worthless. Having a tasty choice comeback is cool...

PerryLogan said:
Thanks for proving my point again. Top o' the mornin' to ya!

ah.......no.

Galenrox is cool. Are you he?....ah.....no. Having your own popular thread with massive play is cool. I'm not liberal. I got a thread. How's the threads you started doing? Those Berkeley (is that really how you spell it?) guys are looking weak. Quoting anything that comes out of Berkeley as objective is not only uncool, it's glaringly stupid. The smackfest that was had last night on MY thread (Son of Top Tens and teacher Abuse) starting at post #1580 was way friggin cool. Being involved in such history is more than cool. Where you there? Ah...no. Knowing what the fuc*k you're talking about when you explain why the WTC towers fell is cool. Posting a list of links that agree with my original words is not cool. Again, redundant, repetitive, worthless. Worse than worthless, criminal, as your swill takes up precious space, memory, and bandwidth that would be better used for my jokes.... which chicks dig. Which is cool.

Being able to not only verbally but visually smack as well is is cool. Holding the leash to Hitler's dog and having Hitler's dog at you beck and call is cool. Putting two and two together is cool. Knowing what's coming is cool. Some us here right now know what's coming, do you?

Attachments

• My guys 139.jpg
    My guys 139.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
Hey I have a some theories..
Snotty, whiny parents tend to raise snotty, whiny kids.

Gay people tend to have relationships with members of their own sex.

People who attack two US navy ships in a 30-foot boat tend to be f.ucking stupid.

PerryLogan tends to post stupid chit.

Ohhh and the best reason for having a gun in your house is

To turn off lights. Without having to get up.

PerryLogan said:
Stop whining, Simon. You're sort of...proving my point.
If you think that my posts can costitute proof for the premise that "snotty kids grow up to be conservatives" then it would not be a cause for wonder if you did not see the obvious methodological flaws in the single study you've cited as "proof."

Further, I'm still not impressed with any of these "We rule. They drool," threads.
But, I guess they fulfill a primal, troop-bonding sort of purpose, kind of like the cheering and jeering of sports fans.

I'd just prefer that things'd be a little more mentally stimulating than political cheerleading [even when it's presented under the cover of pretending you want to talk about science]. Of course, ymmv.

have fun.

Ever noticed how this newbie flame-baiter PerryLogan only has threads in the basement? :roll: Which is fine, I guess. I just wish he'd take off that avatar picture of his butt-ugly wife.

KCConservative said:
Ever noticed how this newbie flame-baiter PerryLogan only has threads in the basement? :roll: Which is fine, I guess. I just wish he'd take off that avatar picture of his butt-ugly wife.

Actually it's worse than that. He starts them upstairs and then they get sent down here. Which is not bad if you are me. I expect it. But he thinks he's high-brow intellectual elite. Yet here he is down here with me.

Attachments

• My guys 141.JPG
    My guys 141.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 74
aquapub said:
:rofl

Go to the intro to "Democrats are for the Rich." The numbers don't lie.

Yeah lets see. In the 2004 election, of those who earn over 100,000 a year, 58% voted for Bush. Of those who earn less than 50,000 a year, 55% voted for Kerry. So I guess the numbers really don't lie.:roll:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Moreover, even though I think the "study" is total bullshit. I would think that it is common sense that kids who grow up with an inferiority complex are more likely to be socially conservative and intolerant of other viewpoints. Thats pretty much text book psychology there. I mean some people turn Republican after they get a job and start paying taxes, but nothing says loser like Teenage Republican.

Finally, no offense, but the absurd reasoning exhibited in some of your posts, and your obvious pathological hatred of liberals is a strong indicator of someone who probably has some underlining issues.

PerryLogan said:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554

Give a link to the report in full so that I may shred its methodology and find out which left wing propoganda think tank payed for the research study.

Study proves snotty kids grow up to be conservatives... and Perrylogan has the best pic ever... next to (sexy) Garza

Sir_Alec said:
Study proves snotty kids grow up to be conservatives... and Perrylogan has the best pic ever... next to (sexy) Garza

I'll create a study that proves Conservatives are genetically superior to Liberals, it doesn't mean it's true. He failed to provide the report with the methodology and the name of sponsors of the report.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I'll create a study that proves Conservatives are genetically superior to Liberals, it doesn't mean it's true. He failed to provide the report with the methodology and the name of sponsors of the report.

I thought the article was an intentional joke :mrgreen: . But I am right when I say perrylogan has a great pic and that Garza is sexy.

I think this study makes complete sense.

I mean, think about it. Everyone has within them a set amout of "whinyness" that they expend throughout their lives. Conservatives get it over with as children, move on, and lead successful, responsible lives. Liberals wait until their older and then become whiny.

Makes sense to me.:mrgreen:

Sir_Alec said:
I thought the article was an intentional joke :mrgreen: . But I am right when I say perrylogan has a great pic and that Garza is sexy.

LOL Thanks man!!! :2wave:

aquapub said:

This coming from a person who does nothing but smear liberals and democrats without any sort of true substance. Bwahahhahahahhahahha :2rofll:

SouthernDemocrat said:
Yeah lets see. In the 2004 election, of those who earn over 100,000 a year, 58% voted for Bush. Of those who earn less than 50,000 a year, 55% voted for Kerry. So I guess the numbers really don't lie.:roll:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Moreover, even though I think the "study" is total bullshit. I would think that it is common sense that kids who grow up with an inferiority complex are more likely to be socially conservative and intolerant of other viewpoints. Thats pretty much text book psychology there. I mean some people turn Republican after they get a job and start paying taxes, but nothing says loser like Teenage Republican.

Finally, no offense, but the absurd reasoning exhibited in some of your posts, and your obvious pathological hatred of liberals is a strong indicator of someone who probably has some underlining issues.

SouthernDemocrat, you know what you are talking about! Thank you!

I have said this many, many times. I went to a pretty good college that has the highest percentage of National Merit Scholars in the country. I just went to my 20th college reunion, and it was absolutely heaven to be surrounded by mostly democrats. All of my closest friends are PhD's, MD's, JD's, and MBA's, and all but one of them are democrats. So for aquapub to say that the more educated people are the more likely they will be republicans is a joke. Look at graduates from the Ivy League schools--the majority of them are democrats/liberals. There's a reason for that. People who think and are educated are much more tolerant of others and care about others more than they care about $$$$$.

Funny how the mention that, "liberalism" is largely a fad for kids and it is outgrown in time, is missing from the original post. One of the biggest jokes in life is the campus veteran not quite hardened by reality and his/her idealogue opinions.

Just think...the liberal campus protesters during the Vietnam War are the same individuals that voted us into the Iraq War. Now that's liberalism!

Since science always proves the right are wrong, the right have little use for science.

Here's more evidence that conservatives are weird:

A study funded by the US government has concluded that conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in "fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity".

As if that was not enough to get Republican blood boiling, the report's four authors linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and the rightwing talkshow host, Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction.

All of them "preached a return to an idealised past and condoned inequality". "This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes," the authors argue in the Psychological Bulletin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1017546,00.html

Er...if you "have a problem with ambiguity," you can't think. This would explain the Republicans' apparent unawareness that nothing they have ever done has ever worked.

PerryLogan said:
Since science always proves the right are wrong, the right have little use for science.

Here's more evidence that conservatives are weird:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1017546,00.html

Er...if you "have a problem with ambiguity," you can't think. This would explain the Republicans' apparent unawareness that nothing they have ever done has ever worked.

Tell me this why do so many criminals tend to vote democrat?

Back
Top Bottom