• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study on long-term effects of smoking pot

Μολὼν λαβέ

Si vis pacem, para bellum
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Studies on long-term effects of smoking pot

An Australian study says long-term, heavy cannabis use causes brain damage that is equivalent to mild-traumatic brain injury or premature ageing.

The research is published today in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

The study also found that all users are at risk, and the more you smoke, the more your brain shrinks.

"This is a very exciting study because it proves for the first time what we have been really worried out. That brain problems are real and that people who smoke cannabis over a long term do get problems." he said.

Study strengthens marijuana brain damage case - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Here's another:

Chronic marijuana use may cause inflammation in the brain that leads to problems with coordination and learning, a new study in animals suggests.

Read more: Chronic cannabis use may cause brain inflammation | Fox News

Chronic cannabis use may cause brain inflammation | Fox News

Whether you read these articles or not some of you will continue to rationalize using marijuana because you are a current user or you feel you have the right to smoke marijuana. That's been stated numerous times in many threads on DP. That's not what this thread is about.

What I'm curious about is if the results of studies like these influence the pot smoking habits of the long-term or even casual user?

Last edited:
Re: Studies on long-term effects of smoking pot

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062157941 said:
Study strengthens marijuana brain damage case - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Whether you read this article or not some of you will continue to rationalize using marijuana because you are a current user or you feel you have the right to smoke marijuana. That's been stated numerous times in many threads on DP. That's not what this thread is about.

What I'm curious about is if the results of studies like this influence the pot smoking habits of the long-term or even casual user?

No, they don't influence anyone. Look at all the smokers and we all know what that does and we've known it for decades.

Plenty of studies on alcohol but they keep drinking. Plenty of studies on acetaminophen destroying you liver but they still sell it and shove huge amounts of it into pain pills.

You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think:roll:

Here's another:

Whether you read these articles or not some of you will continue to rationalize using marijuana because you are a current user or you feel you have the right to smoke marijuana. That's been stated numerous times in many threads on DP. That's not what this thread is about.

What I'm curious about is if the results of studies like these influence the pot smoking habits of the long-term or even casual user?

YAAAAWN.

"New research finds that deficiencies in the hippocampus play a key role in alcoholism-related Korsakoff's syndrome, a memory disorder. The deficiencies are comparable to those found in the brains of Alzheimer's disease, according to a study published in the December 23, 2003 issue of Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology."

Study Expands Understanding of Korsakoff's Syndrome

The study conducted at the University of Melbourne took MRI pictures of the brains of 15 men who had smoked more than five joints daily for more than 10 years.

It found the parts of their brains that regulate memory and emotion, the hippocampus and the amygdala, were significantly smaller than those of non-users.

Correlation <> causation

Not to mention the small sample size

my forty-two year personal study allows me to conclude

what were we talking about ... and anybody got something good to eat?

Correlation <> causation

Not to mention the small sample size

And how does a study on those who are heavy long term users say anything about the light to moderate users that the article mentions?

Here's another:

I'll answer with a question:

Plenty of "studies" have shown using guns will cause far greater brain damage; will you turn in your guns now?

As the other poster says, same goes for alcohol and legal drug use.

Edit: I am not a pot smoker but love liberty for all.

Will it effect some people? Yup it will cause some people to avoid the substance based on that information. Will it stop all people from using it? No, because some people will find the effects not to be worth the sacrifice. It is not up to you to be a person's nanny, but I am all for sharing this sort of information so people can make an informed and rational decision on their personal drug use.

Back
Top Bottom