• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study: Fox News viewers are prone to believing rumors

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Study: Fox News viewers are prone to believing rumours

Those who rely on Fox News are more inclined to believe rumours, a study looking at the behavioral patterns of viewers of reports pertaining to the Ground Zero mosque in has concluded.

According to the study, a typical viewer who reported a low reliance on Fox News believed 0.9 rumors on average, while a similar respondent with a high reliance on Fox believed 1.5 rumors – an increase of 66 percent. On the contrary, people who relied heavily on CNN or NPR believed fewer false rumors. High reliance on CNN reduced the number of rumors believed by 23 percent, while heavy use of NPR reduced belief by 25 percent.

Researchers from the Ohio State University found that those who believe false rumors about the proposed Islamic cultural center and mosque near Ground Zero in New York City not quite likely to oppose that project. They surveyed 750 Americans based on four rumours listed as false by FactCheck.org, run by the Annenberg Public Policy Center, or PolitiFact, the Pulitzer-prize winning service of the St. Petersburg Times.

The researchers found that among those who believed none of the four rumors, two-thirds were opposed to the proposed project. But this percentage increased to 82 percent for those who believed three or more rumors.

File this under 'things we already knew'. or 'See this everyday on DP'.

Not surprised, when you believe theres a conspiracy of liberals in the media its no surprise that people revert to bad information for confirmation bias, etc. The right is also more likely to revert to bad information on the internet as an alternative to mainstream media such as newspapers.

If the conspiracy forum here is any indication, I would say that most of the contributions actually come from either the wacked out libertarian strain of conservative, or the wacked out Islamist apologist strain of leftist, but not the neocons, moderates (the actual ones rather than extreme leftists posing as such) or the true liberals.

Not surprised, when you believe theres a conspiracy of liberals in the media its no surprise that people revert to bad information for confirmation bias, etc. The right is also more likely to revert to bad information on the internet as an alternative to mainstream media such as newspapers.

There's NO Conspiracy - Most are Just on the same page like in 1998 when they went the Extra Mile to Save Bill Clinton.

Reactions: mpg

pot, meet kettle. :shrug: plenty of idiots on both sides of the aisle.

pot, meet kettle. :shrug: plenty of idiots on both sides of the aisle.

Certainly, but the right tends to not trust mainstream media to an extent, everyone has confirmation bias in their aisle

Certainly, but the right tends to not trust mainstream media to an extent, everyone has confirmation bias in their aisle

well the MSM of late has shown a tendency to be biased against the right to some extent.

the problem, as I see it, is that there is no counterpart to the right wing conspiracy nutters who watch FOX on the left. Those of equal intelligence who would fill that role are too busy smoking weed and/or watching rap videos to be concerned with politics. That's why you don't see a corresponding viewership to CNN or MSNBC.

idiots on the right get into political crappola, idiots on the left don't

Those of equal intelligence who would fill that role are too busy smoking weed and/or watching rap videos to be concerned with politics. That's why you don't see a corresponding viewership to CNN or MSNBC.

:doh (10 char)

I wanna know the percentage of Faux News viewers who assert that they've been kidnapped and probed by space aliens. That's not as predictable.

Regards from Rosie

I wanna know the percentage of Faux News viewers who assert that they've been kidnapped and probed by space aliens. That's not as predictable.

Regards from Rosie

probably pretty high. idiots on the right claim to have been abducted by aliens, idiots on the left claim they saw Tupoc in 7-11.

probably pretty high. idiots on the right claim to have been abducted by aliens, idiots on the left claim they saw Tupoc in 7-11.

I know people that claim to have seen Elvis at Trader Vics.

It depends on which rumors you're talking about. If you asked people if Bush was behind 9/11, people who listen to NPR would be more likely to say "yes" than people who watch FNC.

It depends on which rumors you're talking about. If you asked people if Bush was behind 9/11, people who listen to NPR would be more likely to say "yes" than people who watch FNC.

I seriously doubt that. But if you do ask a FNC loyalist they would be more likely to say Sadam Hussien had something to do with 9/11 than your average NPR listener.

I know you guys are going to shyt a brick, but I have stopped watching FNC. Completely. You probably say, "Well I'm sure you watch it still every now and then." Well, you'd be wrong, I haven't watched it since Oct 3rd, how do I know? That's the day I moved into this house and now I don't pay for TV because nothing is worth paying for! I get free broadcast tv and that's it. I am reading on FNC's website and they have front page headlines like "11yo girl kicked off the cheerleading squad for refusing to "shake her booty." My gawd, we are trillions in debt, with a skyrocketing deficit and with a congress with an 11% approval and THIS makes front page headlines?

Then another just today about how Foxnews confronted some high ups at facebook over some pedo's using their site to exchange CP and FNC was flabbergasted that they were dumbfounded that this stuff was going on. Well, guess what? Facebook has how many hundreds of millions of people using the site daily? How in the fyck are they supposed to know every single thing going on on their website? Damn FNC, you used to be a respectful news organisation, now all you seem to do is pander to the elite right who are sensationalists at best, and idiots at worst.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that. But if you do ask a FNC loyalist they would be more likely to say Sadam Hussien had something to do with 9/11 than your average NPR listener.

Yet at the same time, your average NPR listener is more likely to say that Bush/the WH said Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11. In fact, I've heard that argument spelled on ON NPR.

Study: People who conduct research with a particular result in mind tend to find results that confirm their preexisting biases.

Regards from Rosie

Oh Faux News, hahahah how clever. NOT.

well the MSM of late has shown a tendency to be biased against the right to some extent.

the problem, as I see it, is that there is no counterpart to the right wing conspiracy nutters who watch FOX on the left. Those of equal intelligence who would fill that role are too busy smoking weed and/or watching rap videos to be concerned with politics. That's why you don't see a corresponding viewership to CNN or MSNBC.

idiots on the right get into political crappola, idiots on the left don't

I find that very offensive, how dare you insinuate that all liberals like rap music, you should be infracted for that. :2mad:

They surveyed 750 Americans based on four rumours listed as false by FactCheck.org, run by the Annenberg Public Policy Center, or PolitiFact, the Pulitzer-prize winning service of the St. Petersburg Times.

So they went to FactCheck.org and PolitiFact.com - and picked up 4 things that they claimed to be false - and then asked 750 people.

I wouldn't constitute that to be an *actual legitimate study*
They need to *not rely on outside sources* for "facts" used.
They also need to ask a larger variety of people - randomly - and not just from campus or from their neighborhood.

They, also, should then be releasing the rumors which they questioned people with along with their findings. As well as their demographic information.

And the entire article is misleading - they didn't present a variety of rumors, they asked 4 - all concerning the Mosque in New York. Yet their headline suggests that they did a broad study and concluded that, in general, on a variety of matters, Fox viewers are more likely to believe - well - anything.
Which isn't the case. - it *might* be the case. However, we don't know because they didn't do a full, broad and varied study.

Like I said, it depends on the rumor.

According to the study, a typical viewer who reported a low reliance on Fox News believed 0.9 rumors on average, while a similar respondent with a high reliance on Fox believed 1.5 rumors

Holy CRAP!

FOX News viewers believed a whopping .6 rumors more than non viewers!

WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE! PULL THEIR LICENSE! :2mad::2mad::2mad:

Regards from Rosie

The UFO crap is almost entirely on the other side. Especially the "ancient astronaut" industry.

Back
Top Bottom