• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study Finds: A Third_Hand Smoke.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Thirdhand Smoke Spurs DNA Damage, Study Finds.....

We know firsthand smoke is bad, and we know secondhand smoke is also bad. But now, researchers have found that thirdhand smoke -- the surface-clinging residue left over from secondhand smoke -- can also cause damage to our DNA.

"This is the very first study to find that thirdhand smoke is mutagenic," study researcher Lara Gundel, a scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory, said in a statement. "Tobacco-specific nitrosamines, some of the chemical compounds in thirdhand smoke, are among the most potent carcinogens there are. They stay on surfaces, and when those surfaces are clothing or carpets, the danger to children is especially serious."

The study, published in the journal Mutagenesis, doesn't just show that thirdhand smoke can harm cells -- it also shows that the harm it can cause could become worse with time.

Thirdhand Smoke Spurs DNA Damage, Study Finds

Also hearing about this today. They reported the only way they can clean any surface is in a lab. No household cleaners can remove this off surfaces. Wonder if they considered industrial cleaners or other chemical cleaners?

Course they say this affects pets and children too. Or any others in the same closed room.

We know firsthand smoke is bad, and we know secondhand smoke is also bad. But now, researchers have found that thirdhand smoke -- the surface-clinging residue left over from secondhand smoke -- can also cause damage to our DNA.

"This is the very first study to find that thirdhand smoke is mutagenic," study researcher Lara Gundel, a scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory, said in a statement. "Tobacco-specific nitrosamines, some of the chemical compounds in thirdhand smoke, are among the most potent carcinogens there are. They stay on surfaces, and when those surfaces are clothing or carpets, the danger to children is especially serious."

The study, published in the journal Mutagenesis, doesn't just show that thirdhand smoke can harm cells -- it also shows that the harm it can cause could become worse with time.

Also hearing about this today. They reported the only way they can clean any surface is in a lab. No household cleaners can remove this off surfaces. Wonder if they considered industrial cleaners or other chemical cleaners?

Course they say this affects pets and children too. Or any others in the same closed room.
Hold onto your hats..where is fourth hand and fifth hand smoke??

You people are a joke..do you know what you are really breathing in??..and it ain't cigarette smoke!!

You people are a joke..do you know what you are really breathing in??..and it ain't cigarette smoke!!

Hiya Wolfie.
hat.gif
Well it is what Berkley is saying.....as it is written.
smoker.gif

The burning of tobacco releases nicotine in the form of a vapor that adsorbs strongly onto indoor surfaces, such as walls, floors, carpeting, drapes and furniture. Nicotine can persist on those materials for days, weeks and even months. Our study shows that when this residual nicotine reacts with ambient nitrous acid it forms carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines or TSNAs,” says Hugo Destaillats, a chemist with the Indoor Environment Department of Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Energy Technologies Division. “TSNAs are among the most broadly acting and potent carcinogens present in unburned tobacco and tobacco smoke.”

Destaillats is the corresponding author of a paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) titled “Formation of carcinogens indoors by surface-mediated reactions of nicotine with nitrous acid, leading to potential third-hand smoke hazards.”

The authors report that in laboratory tests using cellulose as a model indoor material exposed to smoke, levels of newly formed TSNAs detected on cellulose surfaces were 10 times higher than those originally present in the sample following exposure for three hours to a “high but reasonable” concentration of nitrous acid (60 parts per billion by volume). Unvented gas appliances are the main source of nitrous acid indoors. Since most vehicle engines emit some nitrous acid that can infiltrate the passenger compartments, tests were also conducted on surfaces inside the truck of a heavy smoker, including the surface of a stainless steel glove compartment. These measurements also showed substantial levels of TSNAs. In both cases, one of the major products found was a TSNA that is absent in freshly emitted tobacco smoke – the nitrosamine known as NNA. The potent carcinogens NNN and NNK were also formed in this reaction.

“Time-course measurements revealed fast TSNA formation, up to 0.4 percent conversion of nicotine within the first hour,” says lead author Sleiman. “Given the rapid sorption and persistence of high levels of nicotine on indoor surfaces, including clothing and human skin, our findings indicate that third-hand smoke represents an unappreciated health hazard through dermal exposure, dust inhalation and ingestion.”

Since the most likely human exposure to these TSNAs is through either inhalation of dust or the contact of skin with carpet or clothes, third-hand smoke would seem to pose the greatest hazard to infants and toddlers. The study’s findings indicate that opening a window or deploying a fan to ventilate the room while a cigarette burns does not eliminate the hazard of third-hand smoke. Smoking outdoors is not much of an improvement, as co-author Gundel explains.

The dangers of mainstream and secondhand tobacco smoke have been well documented as a cause of cancer, cardiovascular disease and stroke, pulmonary disease and birth defects. Only recently, however, has the general public been made aware of the threats posed by third-hand smoke. The term was coined in a study that appeared in the January 2009 edition of the journal “Pediatrics,” in which it was reported that only 65 percent of non-smokers and 43 percent of smokers surveyed agreed with the statement that “Breathing air in a room today where people smoked yesterday can harm the health of infants and children.”

Anyone who has entered a confined space – a room, an elevator, a vehicle, etc. – where someone recently smoked, knows that the scent lingers for an extended period of time. Scientists have been aware for several years that tobacco smoke is adsorbed on surfaces where semi-volatile and non-volatile chemical constituents can undergo reactions, but reactions of residual smoke constituents with atmospheric molecules such as nitrous acid have been overlooked as a source of harmful pollutants. This is the first study to quantify the reactions of third-hand smoke with nitrous acid, according to the authors.....snip~

Study reveals dangers of nicotine in third-hand smoke « Berkeley Lab News Center

Why is it a joke?

There is all sorts of pollutants everywhere, including the air we breath. Concentrated chemicals on surfaces CAN cause all sorts of reactions, from simple dermatitis to siezures... so why would concentrated 'smoke' be any different?

You must be a smoker. :lol:

Why is it a joke?

There is all sorts of pollutants everywhere, including the air we breath. Concentrated chemicals on surfaces CAN cause all sorts of reactions, from simple dermatitis to siezures... so why would concentrated 'smoke' be any different?

It is in the air you breathe..it is in every car that passes you and spews out exhaust fumes..it is on your clothes...it is in your food..it is in your water..need I go on..Really??

This is very, very suspect. How do kids/pets get this stuff off of these surfaces? Do they possess "super saliva" that cannot be created/used as a cleaner?

It is in the air you breathe..it is in every car that passes you and spews out exhaust fumes..it is on your clothes...it is in your food..it is in your water..need I go on..Really??

So addressing a particular situation is a 'joke', since there are others out there?

I suppose picking up trash on the ground is a joke too, because there is trash on the ground in other places.

Why is it a joke?

Hiya GG
hat.gif
.....plus lil kids like to play on carpeted floors. Fall asleep with their ear Right on the carpeting too. Many end up getting allergies from Caarpeting and Fabrics from within their own homes.

For the study, researchers used the Comet assay and the long amplicon-qPCR assay- two common in vitro assays to test the genotoxicity of third-hand smoke. They found that cigarette residue can cause oxidative DNA damage and also break the DNA strands, both of which could lead to gene mutation.....snip~

Third-hand Smoke can Cause DNA Damage in Human Cells, Study Finds : Environment : Nature World News

You must be a smoker. :lol:

Yeah you are right..and fed up of taking all the sins of the world on my shoulders..

India..China.. are belching out toxic factory fumes.and leaving unwanted children to die in the streets..

It is my choice to smoke..I don't think I am making too much of a difference in the whole hill of pollution cack..

This is very, very suspect. How do kids/pets get this stuff off of these surfaces? Do they possess "super saliva" that cannot be created/used as a cleaner?

Heya Ttwtt. :2wave: This is what else they came up with. Myself I use to own and office Cleaning and Janitorial Business. We used chemicals to clean up Fire Damage and Smoke damage. Course they are chemicals and people cant be in a house when we use them for restoration work. Which I think they meant to say common household cleaners wont work. Which can be true.

One important characteristic of thirdhand smoke is that its residue can interact with compounds in the air, such as ozone, and produce new toxins, the researchers said.

Cleaning a home or a car that has been smoked in doesn't seem to solve the problem. The researchers said they encountered people who complained about buying a used car that didn't smell at first but after a few days started to smell as if somebody had smoked in it.

"Even when you paint the walls, it covers the smell for a short time, but then the compounds work their way through the painting," Gundel said.

"We can take up markers from former smoking months, and sometimes even years after the smoker has left," the researchers said.

Future studies should investigate the effects of nitrosamines and other compounds found in thirdhand smoke on people by looking at blood samples, the researchers said.

The study was published June 13 in the journal Mutagenesis, and was funded by the Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program, which is managed by the University of California and funded by state cigarette taxes.....snip~

Thirdhand Smoke Damages Human Cells

Hmmmm, and yet fewer parents smoke now than ever and never in the home. At the same time the children of this generation have MORE allergies, MORE asthma, MORE childhood diseases. Perhaps all that nicotine residue of my youth somehow mutated me to resist all that.

So addressing a particular situation is a 'joke', since there are others out there?

I suppose picking up trash on the ground is a joke too, because there is trash on the ground in other places.

Ok..you didn't tell me you were a ''Dudley do right''..

And anally retentative..

Hmmmm, and yet fewer parents smoke now than ever and never in the home. At the same time the children of this generation have MORE allergies, MORE asthma, MORE childhood diseases. Perhaps all that nicotine residue of my youth somehow mutated me to resist all that.

Heya CB :2wave: .....well like I was saying when I was in that Industry. I also worked with Carpet Restoration for Dupont, and Stainmaster Carpetings. berbers with the resins in them and the whole Works. Including Haitain Cotton.

Technically Steam cleaning is the best method for Carpeting and Fabric Upholstered furniture. Course many have pets. Any fur has protein in it and it drops into the carpeting constantly. Also Pets urinate in the carpeting. Whether their owners choose to believe it or not. A Simple black light and shading the room dark will give the answer. So urine and protein. Which doesn't include anything dragged in by our feet.

Many babies and toddlers play on the floor. crawl around it. They sleep on it and are always breathing whats there. Most physicians I talked with thinks much of it comes from allergy causing viruses.

Back in the Old Days. kids were not exactly sleeping with their heads and ears on hard floors or dirt floors.

Ok..you didn't tell me you were a ''Dudley do right''..

And anally retentative..

What does that have to do with anything? Because I believe that concentrated chemicals can cause harm? Or that I don't like to see garbage on the ground?

I suppose one could label someone as 'anally retentive' if they themselves believe that the world is theirs to trash and pollute, and screw everybody else.

And we use more and more chemicals in the home for 'cleanliness', detergents with harsher chemicals and additives to make it smell pretty, and meanwhile use germicides that can inhibit proper immune system functions.

Fewer women seem to breast feed, which also helps with immune system development. A kid sneezes, and the parent has them at the doctor for antibiotics.

I grew up in a smokers house, and I've smoked myself. The residue it can leave in some places can be smelled for years, so you know there is still something on the surface.

What does that have to do with anything? Because I believe that concentrated chemicals can cause harm? Or that I don't like to see garbage on the ground?

I suppose one could label someone as 'anally retentive' if they themselves believe that the world is theirs to trash and pollute, and screw everybody else.

So..never thrown rubbish on the ground..even when small..worried about the effects of cigarette smoke..never caused any pollution in the world..never had a crap..wow!!

I would be careful when Easter comes..you may get nailed to a cross!!

So..never thrown rubbish on the ground..even when small..worried about the effects of cigarette smoke..never caused any pollution in the world..never had a crap..wow!!

I would be careful when Easter comes..you may get nailed to a cross!!

How about addressing the issue rather than attempting juvenile personal attacks? Especially when you know nothing about me.

How about addressing the issue rather than attempting juvenile personal attacks? Especially when you know nothing about me.

That's true..i don't know you..

Enlighten me..Let's av it!!

That's true..i don't know you..

Enlighten me..Let's av it!!

Since you apparently don't care to discuss the subject at hand, and I'm not into sharing personal information with some one who attacks with no provocation, I'll pass.

Have a good day.

Since you apparently don't care to discuss the subject at hand, and I'm not into sharing personal information with some one who attacks with no provocation, I'll pass.

Have a good day.

You haven't offered me any explanation!

Good way of getting out of a debate you are losing though!! :lamo

You haven't offered me any explanation!

Good way of getting out of a debate you are losing though!! :lamo

Offered you an explanation of what?

A debate I am losing? You haven't even made a point yet to debate.

Offered you an explanation of what?

A debate I am losing? You haven't even made a point yet to debate.

And neither have you..

Third hand smoke related illnesses is ridiculous...

You were the aggressor..now you have to give me the facts!!

And neither have you..

Third hand smoke related illnesses is ridiculous...

You were the aggressor..now you have to give me the facts!!

See post #4

Now how about 'facts' from you rather than opinions?

I quit smoking about 4 months ago. I didn't smoke in the house because it damages the place and most important, the cats would not appreciate it since they have pretty small lungs.

Las week, I cleaned my garage, about 200 million cigarettes later. I'm please to say that using warm water and a little degreaser and some real effort and a scary amount of paper towels (rags don't work well) my garage is now beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom